It's a Miracle . . .

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

It's a Miracle . . .

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

. . . and it's not even Christmas. I'm working in a Drawing and placed two dimensions referencing a point in a model sketch, then hid the sketch, like I've done hundreds of times. BOTH DIMENSIONS REMAINED VISIBLE.

I don't believe that's ever happened before. Usually one of the two dimensions will also be hidden, and occasionally both, so that I have to scroll down to the sketch in the tree, right-click on it, and select "Show dimensions" from the drop-down.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
m2shell
Answers: 0

Re: It's a Miracle . . .

Unread post by m2shell »

Version?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Interesting. Yeah, I wonder if it's the points you used or if there's a new Hide/Show option available to display the orphaned dims?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Glenn Schroeder

I'm using SW2023, but I've been using since it was first released, and I do this type of drawing in a weekly basis and I don't remember this happening before. It is no exaggeration to say I was astonished when I hid the sketch and both dimensions remained visible.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Hidden in one display state, drawing view using a different config/display state?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

There is an option to show the dimensions.
image.png
image.png
It's not new....I see it in 2019.
Jason
m2shell
Answers: 0

Unread post by m2shell »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 pm . . . and it's not even Christmas. I'm working in a Drawing and placed two dimensions referencing a point in a model sketch, then hid the sketch, like I've done hundreds of times. BOTH DIMENSIONS REMAINED VISIBLE.

I don't believe that's ever happened before. Usually one of the two dimensions will also be hidden, and occasionally both, so that I have to scroll down to the sketch in the tree, right-click on it, and select "Show dimensions" from the drop-down.
I have to confess in all my years of workign in SW, I've never made Drawing dimensions that reference sketch elements in a Part. Huh.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I use them to create prints like this for the marketing department. It is the only way I can get it to measure the right things on the correct plane.

image.png
I know solidworks can't read my mind, but the whole point of those sketches is for the dimensions I create. Why would I want those dimensions hidden when I hide the skecth?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:18 pm There is an option to show the dimensions.
It's not new....I see it in 2019.
The problem is that when you hide the sketch, the dimensions get hidden with them, so you have to use the option you show to turn them back on.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

Rather than create a sketch, you can create a small circular planar surface in the model. It won't show up in the drawing, but it will prevent the dimensions from disappearing when you hide the sketch. As an added bonus, you can hatch the surface to make it look like an actual point:
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:06 am Rather than create a sketch, you can create a small circular planar surface in the model. It won't show up in the drawing, but it will prevent the dimensions from disappearing when you hide the sketch. As an added bonus, you can hatch the surface to make it look like an actual point:

image.png
Unless the part goes to an assembly that has a drawing in which you do not want to see the surface.
JSculley

bnemec wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:17 am Unless the part goes to an assembly that has a drawing in which you do not want to see the surface.
A display state solves that problem.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am A display state solves is a workaround to that problem bug.
FIFY
JSculley

bnemec wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:57 amFIFY
Fair enough. SW considers it to be working as designed (S-053776). Surfaces are considered reference geometry in parts but are considered bodies in assemblies.

There's an SPR (725625) requesting consistency between the two document types.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

SW also exports the surface if you export an STL, which made for some very strange prints before I figured out what was going on.
-
Glenn Schroeder

m2shell wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:27 am I have to confess in all my years of workign in SW, I've never made Drawing dimensions that reference sketch elements in a Part. Huh.
I only do it for one specific purpose. Here where I work we do vehicle crash tests. The test report needs a drawing showing the test vehicle approaching the impact, leaving the impact, and the final resting place, with dimensions referencing the final resting place. I use an Assembly sketch to mate the vehicles in the correct locations, and since the sketch is already there I use it for the dimensions. If I didn't do that I'd have to add sketch geometry in the Drawing (which I would then need to hide).

image.png