Display data mark making assembly file huge

CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Display data mark making assembly file huge

Unread post by CarrieIves »

We are using PDM standard, SolidWorks 2023, SP4.0

We have a top level assembly that has a bunch of configurations in it that represent different areas of the assembly. They kinda relate to assembly steps. If we do not have display data marks for the configurations, the file size of the SLDASM is about 11 megabytes. If we put display data marks on all the configurations the file becomes about 140 megabytes.

We have found that for other assemblies, we need to make sure any subassemblies or parts that have configurations have display data marks or the files will be marked as modified if SolidWorks has to use a different configuration than the one that it was using when it was saved.

This assembly already is going to show modified because a lot of the files in it were released in PDM when we were still on SolidWorks 2022.

Are you using display data marks on your top level assemblies? I think the drawing was created using the configurations for the various assembly steps. We are about to release rev 4 of the drawing, so we want to be careful with any changes we may make.

My preference is to use display states for the various assembly steps, but it's too late for this assembly.

Are you usually using display states or configurations to show assembly steps in your assembly drawings?
Dwight

Re: Display data mark making assembly file huge

Unread post by Dwight »

CarrieIves

We use display states. They work for assembly steps and for showing hidden items. I use a view with a title stating that certain items are hidden for clarity in order to show some interior components rather than use a section view or, worse, a configuration.

Dwight
CarrieIves

Re: Display data mark making assembly file huge

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Mostly we use display states. I have recommended that we try to use display states for our assembly steps rather than configurations.

Other than display states sometimes forgetting themselves, are there gotchas we should watch out for?