Top Ten List '23

dave.laban
Answers: 4

Re: Top Ten List '23

Unread post by dave.laban »

I'm afraid it isn't a SolidWorks-only TTL, they addressed that in the announcement post:

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... RyJ0_Fd34Q
image.png
I still think they should allow this one through just to judge what the demand for it in SW-proper would be.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It's a bit retrusive. Like, the principle of "It's on xDesign so it doesn't need to be on SolidWorks" is rather simple-minded. Why did they allow the creation of Sketches, planes, axis, etc... on xDesign then? These all existed of SolidWorks previously.

Seems like they'll unintentionally block their own development with that line of thought.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:56 am It's a bit retrusive. Like, the principle of "It's on xDesign so it doesn't need to be on SolidWorks" is rather simple-minded. Why did they allow the creation of Sketches, planes, axis, etc... on xDesign then? These all existed of SolidWorks previously.

Seems like they'll unintentionally block their own development with that line of thought.
It's not a two-way street, that argument. It only works one way; specifically, the Platform way.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:09 pm It's not a two-way street, that argument. It only works one way; specifically, the Platform way.
I know, it just irritates me because it seems pretty fraudulent. What prevents them from taking all "solidworks ideas" and adding them to the platform but not solidworks.

Who's to say they won't let SolidWorks have more and more bugs with each release at the same time while also promoting the 'less-buggy' platform. Maybe I'm pushing things a bit far but I think it's ridiculous nonetheless.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

dave.laban wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:13 am The first year the TTL went to Swym it ended up being the "Tekyaz Top Ten List", I think users from that company managed to get something like 7 of the top 10 ideas.
That is one of the things I hate about the way SW does this. Not only do you have to submit an idea, you then have to go politicking to generate enough votes so that SW pays attention.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:51 pm Just in case you are too busy to read all 383 ideas from TTL23, take a look a this shortlist (focused mainly on productivity):

https://www.engineersrule.com/now-is-th ... -ten-list/
Thanks Alin. I'm flattered that one of mine made the list.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

RichGergely wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:05 pm It's incredible how so many people from Turkey have voted for number 10. Bearing in mind that territory is far from the largest Solidworks user base.
Now "Add the advanced mesh capabilities of Plastics Simulation to the SOLIDWORKS Simulation program" is number 3. This is obviously getting padded by some company or group in Turkey. There is no way this is that popular with the SolidWorks userbase as a whole. At my company of hundreds of users, this might get one or two votes.
Jason
RichGergely
Answers: 0

Unread post by RichGergely »

We could fix this a bit.

Here is the idea
1. We run our own top ten list and vote on here.
2. We run it short so ours finishes before the official one does.
3. The deal is everyone then needs to go over and vote unilaterally only on those ideas that finished top ten in our poll and nothing else.
RichGergely

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:37 am Now "Add the advanced mesh capabilities of Plastics Simulation to the SOLIDWORKS Simulation program" is number 3. This is obviously getting padded by some company or group in Turkey. There is no way this is that popular with the SolidWorks userbase as a whole. At my company of hundreds of users, this might get one or two votes.
And unfortunately it is probably more to do with falling sale of of the Solidworks fill simulation compared with Moldflow.

Moldflow has it.

From what I can tell these votes are likely driven by the reseller in Turkey as previous recent top tens.
RichGergely

EuroSolid Zrt

Hungary

Another Solidworks reseller with mass votes on certain ideas
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

RichGergely wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm And unfortunately it is probably more to do with falling sale of of the Solidworks fill simulation compared with Moldflow.

Moldflow has it.
Actually he wants to add the meshing options from the Plastics Simulation into SW Sim (FEA). Plastics already has them. :D
RichGergely

Alin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:16 pm Actually he wants to add the meshing options from the Plastics Simulation into SW Sim (FEA). Plastics already has them. :D
Always worth reading something twice just to make sure you have it 100% right.
I had read it the other way round or at least my brain put it that way.
jcapriotti

RichGergely wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm From what I can tell these votes are likely driven by the reseller in Turkey as previous recent top tens.
Resellers shouldn't be participating in this....or should have their own. There are a few AEs I would trust like @Alin but this ER alone is showing the weakness of their system. If this is truly a Turkish reseller's employees padding these votes, then their motivation is probably 'sales' related and we get enough of that crap annually already.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:36 pm Resellers shouldn't be participating in this....or should have their own. There are a few AEs I would trust like @Alin but this ER alone is showing the weakness of their system. If this is truly a Turkish reseller's employees padding these votes, then their motivation is probably 'sales' related and we get enough of that crap annually already.
yep. Alin is exceptional.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Posted this a moment ago on the SW Forum:

One more point of view. At this moment, the #1 Idea got only 52 votes. The #10 Idea got only 28 votes.
With such a low participation, I would welcome more "lobbying" from all stakeholders: Dassault, VARs, users.
You like an idea and want it promoted, talk about it with your friends and co-workers.
You work for a large company with many seats of SW and want to get SW to focus on what you need? Call everyone in a meeting and ask them to vote on a shortlist of ideas that are important to you and your company. Stuff the ballots!!!

Would be nice to see hundreds of votes and then we can complain about rigging the system. At this point it is critical to get users aware and interested.

How can one complain in March that SW does not listen to him/her they, when they do not spent a few minutes in January telling SW what to do? The TTL is a unique opportunity for that.

In Summary, feel free to promote the ideas you feel strongly about a much as you want. Let's see those votes coming!
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:25 pm yep. Alin is exceptional.
Good one. Will show it to my wife. UU
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:36 pm Resellers shouldn't be participating in this....or should have their own. There are a few AEs I would trust like @Alin but this ER alone is showing the weakness of their system. If this is truly a Turkish reseller's employees padding these votes, then their motivation is probably 'sales' related and we get enough of that crap annually already.
Hmmm... you voted on his idea. I voted on his idea. Deepak voted on his idea. Many users on this forum voted on his idea.
I thought we vote on the merit of each ideas, not on who submitted it.

How do we know if resellers (other than me) voted for his idea? They could be Turkish (and other nationalities) users.
jcapriotti

Alin wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:30 pm Hmmm... you voted on his idea. I voted on his idea. Deepak voted on his idea. Many users on this forum voted on his idea.
I thought we vote on the merit of each ideas, not on who submitted it.

How do we know if resellers (other than me) voted for his idea? They could be Turkish (and other nationalities) users.
I'm not saying people shouldn't vote for the idea. I don't use that function so I didn't, but I get it that some would. If you look at the voter list however, the vast majority of people who voted are showing from Turkey in their profile, and Istanbul at that. That just seems a little suspect.

All but 5 people are from Turkey <()>
image.png
I googled two of them and they are AE's at a reseller......I bet the rest are the same.

And why is it I can't find the Top Ten List on the site easily. I have to come here and get a shortcut. Dassault didn't make it easy to find, no wonder there is so little participation.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I took time to watch the videos on how to search for enhancement ideas and how to post new ones. It's... well... NM.

I admit I kinda like what the admin did by creating templates, although they're not calling them templates. Fred used that term I think. Anyway, the idea of putting the lists of possible tags in several categories and then asking user to remove the non-applicable ones is good IMO. OR at least better than just leaving it blank and hoping users find the right tags. Seems like the admin is trying to make some lemonade.

The idea of generic tags with no structure is a fundamental flaw. It's like having several data fields with predefined dropdown lists but taking every possible drop-down option from every possible field in the entire platform and putting them in a grab bag. I get that from an object oriented or relational database perspective a tag object is a tag object, and we can store them all in one table. But if we're going to do that, we need the application layer to sort them out into meaningful structures for the user. Instead, they just let the users select all the items from every dropdown list. I could leave all of the tags for the "Frequency of use" field in the post and then what? Confusion.
jcapriotti

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:50 pm All but 5 people are from Turkey <()>
image.png

I googled two of them and they are AE's at a reseller......I bet the rest are the same.
The vote padding is being done by employees at a Turkish reseller called Tekyaz. Mostly application engineers but one is an "HR resources expert" and has no engineering background at all. <()>
Jason
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:55 am The vote padding is being done by employees at a Turkish reseller called Tekyaz. Mostly application engineers but one is an "HR resources expert" and has no engineering background at all. <()>
Wow! That is nuts!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I go there to look and vote but maybe half of the features that sound nice have been marked by the admin as Implemented and then there's discussion by other users confirming that the "admin" misunderstood and the request is either not implemented or was implemented poorly. This is rather discouraging.

There are A LOT of ideas with more votes that would be of absolutely no use where I work and likely get in the way.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

What's the different between Enhancement Idea and Top Ten List?
Shouldn't Top Ten get voted from Enhancement Idea?
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:54 pm What's the different between Enhancement Idea and Top Ten List?
Shouldn't Top Ten get voted from Enhancement Idea?
spin the dial.
- lack of planning?
- lack of cohesive goal/vision?
- because getting customers to copy paste all their ERs from the Portal over to the SWYMp once isn't enough, it's more fun to have them do it for the TTL then again in the new ER Community?
- someone thinks there needs to be an entry cutoff date?
- keep "endorsements" for the TTL separate from the ER community endorsements?
- make it more confusing to correlate a TTL idea to the matching ER?
- they can close up the TTL and take it offline so we cannot see votes and such a year later when it's time to copy paste them to the next TTL?
- so there's not a single, connected place in one connected platform for developers and users to innovatively ideate about the minutia of how to implement the top 10 once they are selected?
Frederick_Law

Disruptive Innovation at it's best.
dave.laban

TTL as of 2023-01-20;
1. Ability to toggle a selection filter that only allows selections (faces, edges, etc) from a specific component - useful to restrict selections when working in complex assembly (63)
2. AutoSolve Dangling Relations and Dimensions in Sketches and Drawings (53)
3. Add the advanced mesh capabilities of Plastics Simulation to the SOLIDWORKS Simulation program. (44)
4. Allow Import Diagnostics to be Used Anywhere (43)
5. Allow the Creation of BOMs Based on Visible Components (39)
6. Allow to make corner trim on simple bends (37)
7. Add "Fill Cavity" Tool for Simplifying Geometry - Shrink Wrap (35)
=. Allow Loading of Graphics-only Components in Resolved Assemblies (35)
9. Enhance the Large Design Review Mode for Applying Mates (34)
10. Ability to reattach dangling DimXpert Annotation in MBD (31)
dave.laban

TTL as of 2023-01-25;
1. Ability to toggle a selection filter that only allows selections (faces, edges, etc) from a specific component - useful to restrict selections when working in complex assembly (80)
2. AutoSolve Dangling Relations and Dimensions in Sketches and Drawings (78)
3. Allow Import Diagnostics to be Used Anywhere (52)
4. Ability to reattach dangling DimXpert Annotation in MBD (50)
5. Tell us which file is at fault (48)
=. Ability to create MBD Reference Dimensions between a cylinder and a plane (48)
7. Allow the Creation of BOMs Based on Visible Components (46)
8. Add the advanced mesh capabilities of Plastics Simulation to the SOLIDWORKS Simulation program. (44)
9. Enhance the Large Design Review Mode for Applying Mates (40)
=. Allow Loading of Graphics-only Components in Resolved Assemblies (40)

Some big moves up the list for a couple of ideas in the last few days.
RichGergely

If you go by the figure in the blog of 6+ million Solidworks in the user ecosystem

https://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworks ... everywhere.

Say the winner of the top ten may get 100 votes then that would give approximately 0.0016% had voted for it, if my sums are right. I think I did a similar calculation years ago when the old system ran. Back then it was more like 2 million users, I would guess, but there was more votes (200+?) and probably less mass voting by resellers.
jcapriotti

RichGergely wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:15 am If you go by the figure in the blog of 6+ million Solidworks in the user ecosystem

https://blogs.solidworks.com/solidworks ... everywhere.

Say the winner of the top ten may get 100 votes then that would give approximately 0.0016% had voted for it, if my sums are right. I think I did a similar calculation years ago when the old system ran. Back then it was more like 2 million users, I would guess, but there was more votes (200+?) and probably less mass voting by resellers.
They don't make it easy to find and vote on. There are websites out there dedicated to this kind of stuff and they shoehorn it into their platform.
Jason
Frederick_Law

"Small Group Election"
Only the selected and connected know when, where and how to vote.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 pm They don't make it easy to find and vote on. There are websites out there dedicated to this kind of stuff and they shoehorn it into their platform.
Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:54 pm "Small Group Election"
Only the selected and connected know when, where and how to vote.
I've complained about that so-called forum platform plenty, but I didn't think th3 Top Ten site was difficult to find. Here it is, if anyone is interested: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... LRS8zemqQw
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

What is Treehouse and why is it in the Solidworks top 10 list?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law

SPerman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 pm What is Treehouse and why is it in the Solidworks top 10 list?
Assembly structure visualize. I think it come with SW.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:21 pm What is Treehouse and why is it in the Solidworks top 10 list?
I guess because people are voting for it. :lol:
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:55 pm Assembly structure visualize. I think it come with SW.
Well, what do you know.
image.png
:roll:
-
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:12 pm I've complained about that so-called forum platform plenty, but I didn't think th3 Top Ten site was difficult to find. Here it is, if anyone is interested: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... LRS8zemqQw

Well because you guys gave me the link :lol:

But it's not very "discoverable", they don't really advertise it, and it shouldn't take a guide to figure out how to submit and vote on stuff. No one in my company was even aware of it.....maybe that's my job () .
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

If they have the same reaction to that place that I have, you might lose a little cred for sending them in that direction.
-
dave.laban

Treehouse is one of those many things that's a nice idea but let down by a lack of investment after initial release.
dave.laban

TTL as of 2023-01-26 (some people are already having trouble accessing the TTL community!);
1. Ability to toggle a selection filter that only allows selections (faces, edges, etc) from a specific component - useful to restrict selections when working in complex assembly (94)
2. AutoSolve Dangling Relations and Dimensions in Sketches and Drawings (92)
3. Ability to reattach dangling DimXpert Annotation in MBD (66)
4. Ability to create MBD Reference Dimensions between a cylinder and a plane (63)
5. Tell us which file is at fault (60)
6. Allow Import Diagnostics to be Used Anywhere (53)
7. Enhance Markups (52)
8. Treehouse Improvement: PDM Integration (49)
9. Assembly created MBD (Model Based Definition) (48)
=. SPR 660642 - Indicate if Folder Contains Under Defined (48)

More big moves again, 4 different ideas in the top ten compared to yesterday!
jcapriotti

Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:29 am Man, this one needs way more votes

image.png
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Zecw0OA1kw
Yeah, as you mentioned there's a duplicate that has more votes. We'll see if the Admin manages to combine them so the two same ideas aren't steeling votes from each other.

As for how bad it is, I don't think SW users that haven't made drawings in SE realize what it could be like.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:54 am Yeah, as you mentioned there's a duplicate that has more votes. We'll see if the Admin manages to combine them so the two same ideas aren't steeling votes from each other.

As for how bad it is, I don't think SW users that haven't made drawings in SE realize what it could be like.
They know the frustration for sure, we just got used to delete /recreating dimensions for so long we're numb to it. I think most of the designers here and everywhere would give a huge applause and throw a party, but this type of enhancement is not flashy enough for marketing. I think my default stance now is, if marketing likes it, it's not in my best interest.
Jason
Frederick_Law

Don't need to vote, just use SE or IV.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:29 am Man, this one needs way more votes
image.png
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Zecw0OA1kw
Yes, when I submitted this idea, I was not aware that the other one had been submitted.
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... XJr5rTtozQ
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

It is interesting how few votes the most revolutionary idea got. If only the author would have added the core SW to the intended list of software CUDA processing would be expanded to...

There is so much untapped raw power in the GPUs...
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I find the top ten list fascinating. Ideas range from "this used to work and you broke it, please fix it" to "this functionality would be really helpful'" to "please revamp the entire core of your software."

I've never followed the top 10, and wasn't around in the "Good old days" when it was more of a useful tool.

To me, things like this shouldn't have to be submitted and voted on. It used to work and now it doesn't. Why does that have to go through the top 10 process?
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Qr6ls8YACQ

And things like this are such a large undertaking that it seems like it should be decided by engineers who understand all of the technical challenges of redesigning the root of the simulation code.
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... DSg0h7AYaQ

In the middle are all of the things that make sense to me for the TTL. Fixing dangling dimensions, expanding the import diagnostics functionality, etc.

(It pains me having to spend so much time in the swamp to find the examples for this post.)
-
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:10 am
In the middle are all of the things that make sense to me for the TTL. Fixing dangling dimensions, expanding the import diagnostics functionality, etc.
(It pains me having to spend so much time in the swamp to find the examples for this post.)
Yup. That is why we wrote articles like the ones below for our clients. The ideas you mentioned are included in the short-list:

and
https://trimech.com/blog/vote-for-ideas ... world-2023
RichGergely

Alin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:24 am Yup. That is why we wrote articles like the ones below for our clients. The ideas you mentioned are included in the short-list:

and
https://trimech.com/blog/vote-for-ideas ... world-2023
With all that effort still hardly anyone votes (unless you have very few clients which I don't think would be the case) something just doesn't click with the users to be remotely bothered by the whole TTL.

It's totally broken.

I would guess some of the reasons could include any of the below

1) The platform it's on.
2) Too many ideas to even be bothered to look through.
3) Not broken down into separate sections.
4) The thought it won't change anything.
5) They don't give a @$$%, I go to work, do my job, who cares about the CAD.
6) We pay for the software, surely it's the job of the development engineers.
7) People think it's the job of the VAR's to vote on it.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

RichGergely wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 am 7) People think it's the job of the VAR's to vote on it.
Actually, when VARs vote, people get upset. o[
image.png
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

RichGergely wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 am With all that effort still hardly anyone votes (unless you have very few clients which I don't think would be the case) something just doesn't click with the users to be remotely bothered by the whole TTL.

It's totally broken.

I would guess some of the reasons could include any of the below

5) They don't give a @$$%, I go to work, do my job, who cares about the CAD.
6) We pay for the software, surely it's the job of the development engineers.
These two, plus the how hard is to spread the awareness of the TTL. @KevinC actually requested that his VAR spreads the word. The VAR did. The number of votes increased but not by a lot.
image.png
The whole conversation here: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Y85ylRkktA