Extracting a .step file from 3DInterconnect

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Extracting a .step file from 3DInterconnect

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hello,

I'm facing issues opening a .step file without having 3DInterconnect activated, so I'd like to know, is it possible to extract the assembly structure of a 3Dinterconnected file?

I'd like to be able to extract the file so that I can then lighten it and also create configurations out of it. I generally have no issue and don't use 3DInterconnect.

Here's an image to show the assembly structure that's 3Dinterconnected that I'd like to 'extract'
image.png
by AlexLachance » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:15 pm
Issue comes from the file coming from Inventor.

Sometimes when attempting to open .stp files created with Autodesk Inventor, you will get errors.

There should be a log file that will have the same name as the .stp file, but the file extension will be .err

This log file can be opened with notepad in windows, and will look similar to the attached image.

If this happens, open the .stp file with notepad (Rt. Click on the .stp file, select "Open with", and select "notepad")

In notepad, Select "Edit" -> "Replace"

In "Find what:" type PRESENTATION_STYLE_ASSIGNMENT

In "Replace with:" type PRES

Select "Replace All"

Save the file

Try opening the .stp file in SOLIDWORKS
image.png
image.png
Go to full post
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Extracting a .step file from 3DInterconnect

Unread post by SPerman »

I don't use 3d interconnect either, so this is a shot in the dark. Will this work for you?

https://help.solidworks.com/2021/englis ... l_file.htm
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:56 pm I don't use 3d interconnect either, so this is a shot in the dark. Will this work for you?

Giving it a try right now!
AlexLachance

Issue comes from the file coming from Inventor.

Sometimes when attempting to open .stp files created with Autodesk Inventor, you will get errors.

There should be a log file that will have the same name as the .stp file, but the file extension will be .err

This log file can be opened with notepad in windows, and will look similar to the attached image.

If this happens, open the .stp file with notepad (Rt. Click on the .stp file, select "Open with", and select "notepad")

In notepad, Select "Edit" -> "Replace"

In "Find what:" type PRESENTATION_STYLE_ASSIGNMENT

In "Replace with:" type PRES

Select "Replace All"

Save the file

Try opening the .stp file in SOLIDWORKS
image.png
image.png
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:56 pm I don't use 3d interconnect either, so this is a shot in the dark. Will this work for you?

I was able to break the link, but not save the file, though Todd came to the rescue! I've posted the solution for anyone it could be useful for in the future, including me.
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

Save the Assembly as Parasolid File. Reimport the Parasolid File. Advantage all the sub Parts are fixed.
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.