How do I separate combined features?

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

How do I separate combined features?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Open an older SolidWorks model of a die cast housing I did years ago. A lot of draft and fillets.
image (1).png
image (1).png (75.01 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
In SolidWorks, these two mounting bosses collide but are separate features. I could separate them but just changing their position. I'm trying to do the same with ST but can't figure it out.
image(2).png
image(2).png (92.51 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
I thought maybe removing the fillets might help but doesn't. Any attempt to move one of the mounting bosses locks up Solid Edge.
image(3).png
image(3).png (100 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Re: How do I separate combined features?

Unread post by matt »

I remember having difficulty with this as well. I don't remember how it was resolved. I can say if there are times where certain topology is "consumed", you can't get it back. For example in synchronous, if you have a fillet on a boss, and completely embed the fillet in another piece of geometry, then get to the point where you can't Undo, that geometry won't come back. But there was some solution to this situation where the topology is not changed or consumed, it's just a trimmed conical face.

I'll have to find my notes on that. I don't have the software handy to try it out.
jcapriotti

@matt Did the software lockup? My cpu maxes and I have to kill it in Task Manager.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:24 pm @matt Did the software lockup? My cpu maxes and I have to kill it in Task Manager.
No, that's not how its supposed to react.
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

grr...still can't view Jason's attachments! It only appears a black blob with a single white block in the center.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ry-guy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 pm grr...still can't view Jason's attachments! It only appears a black blob with a single white block in the center.
this is working now
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jason, Solid Edge let me use a license, so I can answer some of these questions now.

jcapriotti

matt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:02 pm Jason, Solid Edge let me use a license, so I can answer some of these questions now.
Thanks for the video. I think I understand why its having difficulty. Can't post the file as it's a customer file but I did cut a small section and save as Parasolid. I've tried to edit it and deleting the fillets but I feel I would have to delete and recreate the entire set to get it to work. Look forward to your analysis.
Attachments
Door.x_t
(503.77 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:29 pm Thanks for the video. I think I understand why its having difficulty. Can't post the file as it's a customer file but I did cut a small section and save as Parasolid. I've tried to edit it and deleting the fillets but I feel I would have to delete and recreate the entire set to get it to work. Look forward to your analysis.
Yeah, I had to delete the fillets. Well, not sure if I had to, but it worked after I deleted all the fillets between faces that moved relative to one another.

It also moves the hole, the chamfer, and the associated boss on the other side. On an imported model. I think that's pretty cool. It took me 3 minutes to figure it out and 5 to record the video.

jcapriotti

Yeah, the way it picks up some geometry (mirrored and related) is really cool and quite mysterious. I'd definitely prefer Edge for working with imported geometry. I tried some of the direct edits in Works and it needs a lot of help. I could delete fillets but had to do it as several Delete Face commands, it didn't like removing all of them at once.

I'm still not sold on ST over history but I'm only scratching the surface of ST and there is a lot to learn still.
Jason
Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

If I had to make an educated guess on what failed on this part it would be these two blends. As you pull away from the mating face those blends will either try to become one set or if you pull far enough away they go away.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi Guys,

Matt's solution is perfect. I wanna show an other one. Moving a face collection with Detach option help to separate them. You can attach it later.

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
matt

Unread post by matt »

Imics13 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:01 pm Hi Guys,

Matt's solution is perfect. I wanna show an other one. Moving a face collection with Detach option help to separate them. You can attach it later.

BR,
Yes, this detach/attach face thing in SE is very cool. I think it can be done in SW but no one ever does it.
jcapriotti

Imics13 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:01 pm Matt's solution is perfect. I wanna show an other one. Moving a face collection with Detach option help to separate them. You can attach it later.
Nice option, can't wait to try it.
Jason