Pipe Centerline

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
REZAMGM
Answers: 0

Pipe Centerline

Unread post by REZAMGM »

Hello !

I have designed a piping system by joining different pipes and flanges in assembly mode and then giving it a degree of freedom, rotated its parts to reach my final destination by try and error. Now I want to save and export new piping system centerline in a new separate file. 

If there is any ideas you can think of, I will be happy to hear them.

Thank you guys
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Pipe Centerline

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Create a 3d sketch to make the centerline of your piping system. And then you can export that 3d sketch.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

You could also create a part in your assembly, define a related axis within that part, and save that part as external.
REZAMGM

Unread post by REZAMGM »

Thank You all guys!
It worked. And I also found out about routing add-in to make all the piping and sketching centerline easier.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

REZAMGM wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:16 am Thank You all guys!
It worked. And I also found out about routing add-in to make all the piping and sketching centerline easier.
Easier is contextual and relative. For its cost, Routing is finicky, error-prone, and cumbersome to fully implement. It also does not, in my experience, revise a design well, like moving an object you have already dimensioned or annotated, although it can recreate new things quickly which then lose their dimension or annotation because it's not the same entity anymore.

We bought it. I used it in a couple projects, and have never used it since. Personally, I create stable designs without it, and they work better. Pipe and tube profiles are among Weldment profiles. It may work well for you if you make simple large systems, or if it isn't revised much.

Bottom line, be very cynical of the hype in the marketing for Routing and assess for yourself, as there is no demo license to try before you buy. Also, recognize canned demo exercises that are made so they cannot fail. Real designs can fail, so force any demonstrator to be subject to unexpected changes that were not scripted in its exercise.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Tom G wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am Easier is contextual and relative. For its cost, Routing is finicky, error-prone, and cumbersome to fully implement. It also does not, in my experience, revise a design well, like moving an object you have already dimensioned or annotated, although it can recreate new things quickly which then lose their dimension or annotation because it's not the same entity anymore.

We bought it. I used it in a couple projects, and have never used it since. Personally, I create stable designs without it, and they work better. Pipe and tube profiles are among Weldment profiles. It may work well for you if you make simple large systems, or if it isn't revised much.

Bottom line, be very cynical of the hype in the marketing for Routing and assess for yourself, as there is no demo license to try before you buy. Also, recognize canned demo exercises that are made so they cannot fail. Real designs can fail, so force any demonstrator to be subject to unexpected changes that were not scripted in its exercise.
@Tom G has this pretty well covered. But, I'll add a little more. I like to make my individual pipe spools separate subassemblies in an assembly. You can create library parts for the fittings that go on the spool ends like the attached part.
If you first create your pipe route as a separate part file in the ASM (at the top of the feature tree) you can link everything to sketches in that part and if a dimension changes it can update all the pipe spools (within reason).
There are ways to do this that are better than others. If you plan ahead a little, it can make future edits A LOT easier.
Attachments
FLAT SOCKET WELD FLANGE.SLDPRT
(444.5 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Indeed, I will poop on Routing any day, and twice on Monday.
I do hear that Electrical Routing isn't so bad, but has its own complexities which I do not need to understand.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

REZAMGM wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:16 am Thank You all guys!
Why don't you use the check mark to indicate who gave you the answer. It helps us keep track of the smart ones to watch :twisted:

No, but it's just nice to know that you got an answer, and which answer was correct. Thanks.