Feature does not work anymore (SW2019)

KaiM
Answers: 0

Feature does not work anymore (SW2019)

Unread post by KaiM »

Hello everybody!

I have a serious problem with SolidWorks 2019 SP2.0 and hope you can help me:

The feature "Fill surface" simply does not work anymore. I select the edges but then I always get an error message saying that I should select some edges. A preview is not displayed. At first I thought that my surface was too complicated, but it doesn't work with very simple geometry either. Finally I picked an older model where I used this feature a few times. When I do a rebuild (Ctrl+Q) the "Fill surface" is immediately shown as an error. Also when I open the feature and close it again, the error appears. It seems that SW2019 is no longer able to support this feature.

I have already run "Repair this installation" without success. Installing a newer version did not work.(The maintenance contract ran out by the end of 2019). Even SW2019 SP3.0 or SP5.0 cannot be installed. They say a "source file" is missing. I have read that this could even indicate a hardware problem.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem? I don't even know if I have a serious hardware problem or if it's just a setting in SW2019 that is messed up. Please let me know if you need some further info.

Many thanks in advance!

Kai
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Feature does not work anymore (SW2019)

Unread post by matt »

Well, it's not the software. I've been using that feature in several models, and it works. I don't think it was a problem with that release either. Around that time I was making heavy use of Fill. Reinstallation is probably the right instinct to follow. They should be able to get you back to where you are now.
image.png
KaiM

Unread post by KaiM »

Hi matt, thanks for your reply. Yes, this feature definitely works with this program/version. After all, I have been using it until recently. Possibly it affects other functions as well... I suspect that some error on the hard disk is causing this phenomenon (but I am a layman in this field). I would try a complete reinstall, but am unsure right now if that will work. I have a serial number and the maintenance contract expired at the end of 2019. Can I reinstall any SW2019 version with it? Is there any other way to refresh/reset the program besides the option "repair this installation"?

Thanks a lot for your answers!
matt

Unread post by matt »

The first step would be to reboot the computer. If you have already done that, then the repair installation is next. If that doesn't work, uninstall/reinstall. I would make sure you can download the install files if you don't already have them saved somewhere.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

KaiM wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:30 am Hello everybody!

I have a serious problem with SolidWorks 2019 SP2.0 and hope you can help me:

The feature "Fill surface" simply does not work anymore. I select the edges but then I always get an error message saying that I should select some edges. A preview is not displayed. At first I thought that my surface was too complicated, but it doesn't work with very simple geometry either. Finally I picked an older model where I used this feature a few times. When I do a rebuild (Ctrl+Q) the "Fill surface" is immediately shown as an error. Also when I open the feature and close it again, the error appears. It seems that SW2019 is no longer able to support this feature.

I have already run "Repair this installation" without success. Installing a newer version did not work.(The maintenance contract ran out by the end of 2019). Even SW2019 SP3.0 or SP5.0 cannot be installed. They say a "source file" is missing. I have read that this could even indicate a hardware problem.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem? I don't even know if I have a serious hardware problem or if it's just a setting in SW2019 that is messed up. Please let me know if you need some further info.

Many thanks in advance!

Kai
Hello Kai, can you attach a example? ..also, check if your VOR is on or off?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
KaiM

Unread post by KaiM »

Hello! Thank you for your replies!

I have of course restarted the program several times and the computer as well. I have also run the repair of the installed version three times.

I am attaching a screenshot showing the error. I have tried all possible geometries with this tool - nothing happens. It always shows the error that you can see. I normally use the feature quite a lot and would expect that it should not make any problem with all these examples. I have also tried all the checkboxes on the left side. Thanks for pointing out the VOR (Verification on Rebuild, right?). No matter if on or off, it always stays the same.
Attachments
Example 1.jpg
KaiM

Unread post by KaiM »

I can give an update:I found the folders on the hard drive where SolidWorks stores the updates via background download. But of all those, only SW2018 (SP5.0) worked. This I have now additionally installed because I was afraid that uninstalling the current version may be irreversible. (The newer versions I can not install because of the expired contract). So now SW2018 was newly installed but the error is still there! :cry: :oops: I assume that a new installation with SW2019 would then probably also lead to this result...
matt

Unread post by matt »

How about make a new user on your machine and switch to that profile before using SW? Corrupt profiles do odd and unpredictable stuff sometimes.
Marco
Answers: 2

Unread post by Marco »

Hi Kai

Is your surface in which the hole or cutout is one surface? It is hard to see in your example picture.
If not knit the surfaces arround the hole and try again with the fill.

Marco
The problem with making anything foolproof..........
is that fools are so darn ingenious :)
KaiM

Unread post by KaiM »

Hello again!

@matt
Thank you.I will discuss this tomorrow with a colleague who is more familiar with those things. Maybe I can try that (since this is the company computer and I am in the home office). Today I have uninstalled SW2019 and reinstalled it. This has at least worked without problems. Unfortunately, the error is still present. What irritates me: Most of the settings (my shortcuts, etc.) are still there. What possibility is there to get the program completely off the computer and completely reinstall it "from scratch"?

@Marco
Thank you for your reply. This is a single surface. As I said, it no longer works for the simplest geometries. Neither for edges nor for curves. It doesn't matter if it's three, four or five edges or a round hole. And with older CAD models, where I have used the feature, this is now not rebuilt but displayed as an error.
matt

Unread post by matt »

KaiM wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:32 pm Hello again!

@matt
Thank you.I will discuss this tomorrow with a colleague who is more familiar with those things. Maybe I can try that (since this is the company computer and I am in the home office). Today I have uninstalled SW2019 and reinstalled it. This has at least worked without problems. Unfortunately, the error is still present. What irritates me: Most of the settings (my shortcuts, etc.) are still there. What possibility is there to get the program completely off the computer and completely reinstall it "from scratch"?
There are instructions for that somewhere. You have to delete the SW parts of the registry, which can be a problem if you make a tiny mistake.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
KaiM

Unread post by KaiM »

Hello! Thanks for the tip with the registry. I have done so as described in the link. It also worked as described, when launching the program. But my personal settings are still there and the error as well. o[