Hiding Cosmetic threads in one view

MJuric
Answers: 1

Hiding Cosmetic threads in one view

Unread post by MJuric »

I run into this fairly regularly and usually it's not a big deal because there aren't many and I can manually hide them. This time I'm using the drawing in a driveworks file and the "problem" will be replicated for each part with a lot of holes soooo....

Some times when I do a view where I don't show hidden lines the cosmetic threads show up anyway. Is there a way to hide the cosmetic threads in just one view of a drawing?
image.png
Attachments
TOMBSTONE.SLDPRT
(2.82 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Hiding Cosmetic threads in one view

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Maybe with a Display State or a Configuration? I'm guessing maybe a macro could help do it en masse?

Can you post a part and drawing for us to play with?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 am Maybe with a Display State or a Configuration? I'm guessing maybe a macro could help do it en masse?

Can you post a part and drawing for us to play with?
Added the part. It seems odd to me that there isn't a "Hide cosmetic threads this view" or something like that. I run into this often enough when cosmetic threads show thru when the hole is hidden. Oddly enough I just tried what I did with those and highlight them and hide them...and it worked so maybe that's the "Fix".

I'll have to play with it and see if they "RE-Appear" when I run a part using driveworks.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

MJuric wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:50 am I run into this fairly regularly and usually it's not a big deal because there aren't many and I can manually hide them. This time I'm using the drawing in a driveworks file and the "problem" will be replicated for each part with a lot of holes soooo....

Some times when I do a view where I don't show hidden lines the cosmetic threads show up anyway. Is there a way to hide the cosmetic threads in just one view of a drawing?

image.png
You can actually select them and hide them, and they will hide only for that view.
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:35 am You can actually select them and hide them, and they will hide only for that view.

image.png

image.png
Thank You,

That should work. I have to run a couple creations to make sure that Driveworks doesn't "Unhide" them or just hide the ones on the existing Driveworks model and doesn't hide any additional holes added.

Still think there should be a "hide cosmetic threads this view".
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Someone will have to explain to me why you have to jump through that hoop. If the thread is on a face that isn't visible, why are the cosmetic threads visible?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 am Someone will have to explain to me why you have to jump through that hoop. If the thread is on a face that isn't visible, why are the cosmetic threads visible?
Geez, now you're just getting picky.

Yes, SW absolutely sucks at this. I regularly have to go thru drawing views and hide cosmetic threads on holes that aren't even visible in that view. Most of the time you have to first solve the mystery of "Why is there a hidden circle in the middle of nowhere in this view?" Then you realize it's a cosmetic thread from a hole in surface three or four layers behind your current view. This is most irritating when it does it on views where you have holes that you want to show the threads, IE the ones in the shown surface, and it shows the ones in surfaces that are hidden. You then can't just do a window select and hide everything. You have to pain stakingly select each one and hide them. This is super Uber fun when you're working a base weldment that has hundreds of holes in it all at varying degrees of depths.

The other one I've never been able to figure out is the "Monster oversized" cosmetic thread. Occasionally I'll place a view and the cosmetic thread is 10-100 times larger than it's supposed to be. Sometimes a forced rebuild fixes it, other times I just have to hide it and or manually draw a cosmetic thread.

For what it's worth this is one of the many things that SW should spend time and money on fixing rather than adding "New features".
DanPihlaja

MJuric wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am Thank You,

That should work. I have to run a couple creations to make sure that Driveworks doesn't "Unhide" them or just hide the ones on the existing Driveworks model and doesn't hide any additional holes added.

Agreed. I looked at all sorts of options including:
1) Trying to use a display state: turns out that you can't hide them per display state. It is all or nothing.
2) trying to create an annotation view, but again, it is all or nothing.
3) looking for some setting in the view properties: nope!

So I finally resorted to trying to hide them individually, and LO and behold, it worked!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

Dtief190
Answers: 0

Unread post by Dtief190 »

This thread just helped me - get rid of the cosmetic threads that were annoying me.
Thank you.
DanPihlaja

MJuric wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:38 am Thank You,

FYI, you can also do it at the tree level in the drawing:
image.png
However, when I tried to use the tree filter and put the word "thread" in the filter box, it ONLY showed drawing view 1. So I tried slowly typing the words "hole thread".

Interestingly enough, when I get to the letter "h" in "thread" it excludes the ones from my ISO view (Drawing view 3). Weird!
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4