Show the revision of the piece part on the BOM Table of the assembly drawing, get the revision numbers from PDM.

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Show the revision of the piece part on the BOM Table of the assembly drawing, get the revision numbers from PDM.

Unread post by bnemec »

It is requested for assemblies that we purchase complete where we control the design to include the revision of the piece part in the BOM Table on the print. We've been looking for this and not seeing a way to pull the revision data from the child model. Web searches go to old posts that may be outdated, but they pretty much say "no".
image.png
image.png (50.86 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
by JSculley » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm
I did a quick test where I created a part with no custom properties. When I save it to PDM, the mapped properties get added. If I then delete the properties in SW, the data card still shows the values. I can check the file in and out and nothing changes. The properties aren't added to the file and the data card still shows the data (from the database). With the file checked out, I can use the Modify......Update...File Attributes from Database menu item in Explorer to push the properties to the file.
Go to full post
JSculley
Answers: 55

Re: Show the revision of the piece part on the BOM Table of the assembly drawing, get the revision numbers from PDM.

Unread post by JSculley »

Link a variable on the data card to the revision and to a custom property in the part model. I have a Rev column in my BOM template for manufactured parts that works this way.
bnemec

Re: Show the revision of the piece part on the BOM Table of the assembly drawing, get the revision numbers from PDM.

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 pm Link a variable on the data card to the revision and to a custom property in the part model. I have a Rev column in my BOM template for manufactured parts that works this way.
I'm seeing this now. I didn't understand what controls what's available in the dropdown when setting the column. I couldn't get Revision to show up as an option. Then I looking in PDM variable mapping for the Revision data card variable and for some reason the Revision data card variable was mapped to the custom property "Revision" only on .slddrw files. So now none of our .sldprt or .sldasm files have that custom property. I made the change to the variable mapping but it seems the only time the custom property is added to the file is in the "Set Revision" or getting the "Inc. Revision" in the workflow transition. I'm still not understanding when exactly pdm will add a custom property to a file to push a mapping.

In this case I don't need it for all files, I'll just have to manually go do these files that need it.

Also wondering what I screwed up by making that change, example will checked out models that have a revision on the data card clear it when they are checked in because they don't have the custom property? Which will cause cascading problems...
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

I did a quick test where I created a part with no custom properties. When I save it to PDM, the mapped properties get added. If I then delete the properties in SW, the data card still shows the values. I can check the file in and out and nothing changes. The properties aren't added to the file and the data card still shows the data (from the database). With the file checked out, I can use the Modify......Update...File Attributes from Database menu item in Explorer to push the properties to the file.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:15 pm I did a quick test where I created a part with no custom properties. When I save it to PDM, the mapped properties get added. If I then delete the properties in SW, the data card still shows the values. I can check the file in and out and nothing changes. The properties aren't added to the file and the data card still shows the data (from the database). With the file checked out, I can use the Modify......Update...File Attributes from Database menu item in Explorer to push the properties to the file.
After I ran through that I remembered that I had forgotten this before. I use the search tool, not file explorer to access our vaults, one of the few best practice suggestions I'm able to use. I never can find it that Update -> File Attributes because I cannot find the menu bar in the search tool. So I added the "Update" command to my file context menu in the Admin Tool.

Thanks.
image.png