Creating "New & Customized" Shortcut bar

zwei
Answers: 18

Creating "New & Customized" Shortcut bar

Unread post by zwei »

Is it possible to create a customized shortcut bar similar to the S-key shortcut bar?
image.png
image.png (13.32 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
I do not want to add the button to the existing S-key shortcut bar (which i had already customized)

What I would like to have is:
1. Clicking "S" bring up the S-key shortcut bar
2. Clicking "A" (or other key) bring up the customized shortcut bar

My intention is to have all my macro added to the "A" shortcut bar while still keeping the S shortcut bar. The "A" shortcut bar will only be used for some specific scenario (eg: exporting file)
I personally do not like to dumb every function that i need in the shortcut bar as it "bloat" it and increase the amount of mouse travel needed...

Is there any OOB function? Or is it achievable using API?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Re: Creating "New & Customized" Shortcut bar

Unread post by matt »

You can create hotkeys to macros. That saves a lot of mouse travel and bloat.

You could also hijack an existing toolbar that you don't use, remove all the buttons, replace them, make it a floating bar...
CADNurd
Answers: 0

Unread post by CADNurd »

If it was me I'd just add my own custom tab to the ComandManager >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnGpAMvZVo

Edit: P.S. - also possibly useful >> https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2020/ ... olidworks/
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

matt wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:47 pm You can create hotkeys to macros. That saves a lot of mouse travel and bloat.
My memory had really gotten rusty these day (switching between two CAD system is also not helpig) so i try avoid having too much hotkey....
You could also hijack an existing toolbar that you don't use, remove all the buttons, replace them, make it a floating bar...
Never thought of that! Seem like a viable option
CADNurd wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:43 pm If it was me I'd just add my own custom tab to the ComandManager >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnGpAMvZVo

Edit: P.S. - also possibly useful >> https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2020/ ... olidworks/
Thanks for the suggestion :) but i already had setup a custom macro tab in my command manager
What i would like to do here is to avoid the huge amount of mouse travel to the command manager on top
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I do add certain features to the right click menu in the top box. A few years ago they brought that option in. Maybe that could help on a few of the features you want?
CADNurd

Unread post by CADNurd »

RichGergely wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 pm I do add certain features to the right click menu in the top box. A few years ago they brought that option in. Maybe that could help on a few of the features you want?
Didn't even know that existed, thanks for that.

That's the one you mean right? (see screenshot below)

Attachments
rClickTopBox.png
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

CADNurd wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:06 am Didn't even know that existed, thanks for that.

That's the one you mean right? (see screenshot below)

That's the one at the top. On the odd occasion I have found it is glitched in 2020 (the features don't always show you add, next time they do) but works perfect in 2019. I think this may be something to do with running both 2019 and 2020 on the same machine and something is overlapping on where things save and causing the problem, so a installation issue - that's just a hunch.
I raised it with my VAR but as often is the case never heard anything about it again so have no idea whether it has been raised with Solidworks as an issue.

I think it was added as a function in 2018-2019, may have been earlier.
Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

RichGergely wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:01 pm I do add certain features to the right click menu in the top box. A few years ago they brought that option in. Maybe that could help on a few of the features you want?
Great tip ! I didn't realize that was able to be customized!
Thanks for sharing that ! UU
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

If this is the same toolbar as I use, it is also context sensitive. So the toolbar that shows while sketching is not the same toolbar that shows while making an assembly or drawing.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Can't believe I'm the first to mention https://cadplus.xarial.com/toolbar/.

It's currently free, so always worth a look.

Kudos go to @artem of course.
David Matula

Unread post by David Matula »

Take a look at the mouse gestures. If only I was not in such a bad habit of doing things the old ways I might learn them.
you should be able to customize them to do any commands that your looking for.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

David Matula wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 pm Take a look at the mouse gestures. If only I was not in such a bad habit of doing things the old ways I might learn them.
you should be able to customize them to do any commands that your looking for.
I'd suggest making yourself learn to use them. You'll be glad later.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

@Glenn Schroeder (or others) Do you have any suggestions on how to make oneself learn mouse gestures?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

CarrieIves wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:38 am @Glenn Schroeder (or others) Do you have any suggestions on how to make oneself learn mouse gestures?
I sure do. First, set up your Mouse Gestures with the commands you use most often in each environment. Mine are below.

image.png

Of course yours will probably be different, and you can always change them if you don't like the initial setup. Also, many people don't like having twelve in each environment like I do. If it's overwhelming, set it up with 4 or 8 at first, then add on later if you want. Another thing; don't worry about memorizing the location of each command. As soon as you move your mouse slightly they will show up, then move to the one you want. I have some of them down in muscle memory, but for others I still have to check. For me that's still faster than going to the Command Manager, or taking my hand off my 3d mouse for a keyboard shortcut (I didn't start out with AutoCAD, so keyboard shortcuts aren't second nature to me anyway).

Now, as you're working, keep them in mind. When you catch yourself using one of the commands the old way, back up or undo, and use the mouse gesture instead. You'll have to force yourself to use them at first, and this will of course initially slow you down, but it pays off pretty quickly, and you will soon make up the time you lost learning the new workflow.

This is the method I've used to learn new workflows, like Mouse Gestures and Quick Mates.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Glenn,

Thanks for the suggestions. I use a few mouse gestures, but all too frequently fall back into my old habits.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:30 pm Glenn,

.....but all too frequently fall back into my old habits.
That's the story of my life! :shock: <()>
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
David Matula

Unread post by David Matula »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:20 pm I sure do. First, set up your Mouse Gestures with the commands you use most often in each environment. Mine are below.

image.png

Of course yours will probably be different, and you can always change them if you don't like the initial setup. Also, many people don't like having twelve in each environment like I do. If it's overwhelming, set it up with 4 or 8 at first, then add on later if you want. Another thing; don't worry about memorizing the location of each command. As soon as you move your mouse slightly they will show up, then move to the one you want. I have some of them down in muscle memory, but for others I still have to check. For me that's still faster than going to the Command Manager, or taking my hand off my 3d mouse for a keyboard shortcut (I didn't start out with AutoCAD, so keyboard shortcuts aren't second nature to me anyway).

Now, as you're working, keep them in mind. When you catch yourself using one of the commands the old way, back up or undo, and use the mouse gesture instead. You'll have to force yourself to use them at first, and this will of course initially slow you down, but it pays off pretty quickly, and you will soon make up the time you lost learning the new workflow.

This is the method I've used to learn new workflows, like Mouse Gestures and Quick Mates.
You are right I should, last full time job I set a few and tried to use them. Then covid..... and a 6 month contract that went for 6 weeks, and now another contract. Forgot all about them till I saw the post for a special short cut. Also setting up the mouse on win 7 is not fun.