Changing multiple features together

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Changing multiple features together

Unread post by Lucas »

I am doing some lattice structures using Face Curves, and since it generates Splines SW cannot create Weldments with them. <()>

So I created a lot of Sweeps, but it's a lot of manual process depending on the structure and I would like to lets say, at least be able to change the diameters all together.

- Is there a way to do it?
- Is there a reason why Weldments cannot recognize Splines?
- Suggestions of workflows are welcome

=)

image.png
Attachments
curve cut3.SLDPRT
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Changing multiple features together

Unread post by gupta9665 »

I can not open your file but would like to know as why you created 12 sweep features for the rings? You could have done them all in one single sweep by creating the multiple contours in the same sketch for the profile.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

I think the way it is it's not possible to select multiple contours, I created it out from a piece of surface, then patterned the bodies.
image.png
image.png
Also not possible to do it with the hole ring:
image.png
It is possible to do with just one Revolve and one Sweep tho. I used Segments on the Equation Driven Curve sketch and drew the circles with the points, then Revolved it:
image.png
But this does not solve the trouble to work with the Splines generated from Face Curves **
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I would have done this with a single revolve with multiple profiles, and then a single sweep, and patterned the sweep.

As for the weldment/spline thing, weldments are really intended for structural members, which are tough to bend into spline shapes. Even for tube bending, most benders will give you sections of constant radius.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:24 am As for the weldment/spline thing, weldments are really intended for structural members, which are tough to bend into spline shapes. Even for tube bending, most benders will give you sections of constant radius.
I think the new whatever-they-call-it that's supposed to replace traditional weldments will work with splines, but I'm not sure.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Lucas wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:01 pm I am doing some lattice structures using Face Curves, and since it generates Splines SW cannot create Weldments with them. <()>

So I created a lot of Sweeps, but it's a lot of manual process depending on the structure and I would like to lets say, at least be able to change the diameters all together.

- Is there a way to do it?
- Is there a reason why Weldments cannot recognize Splines?
- Suggestions of workflows are welcome

=)

image.png
If all the diameters are defined by a dimension just make all the dimensions equal to each other. Change the one that they are equal to and they all change.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

Thank you for the answers. One problem a little different: this one does not has a pattern and was done with Face Curves and Sweeps (with Circular Profile). Is there a way to get all the diameters values from the Sweeps and attach to a sheet or something so I could change them together? Instead of just go clicking and changing one by one.

Weldments is a convenient way to do lattices for additive manufacturing, would be nice to have some updates with that in mind. hhhh
image.png
For the first model it is possible to do another sketch and draw all the profile circles - but not in this situation.
image.png
@Glenn Schroeder you mean the new SW online? (3DExperience cloud-based whatever? I don't understand the products mix DS is creating lol)
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Lucas wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 pm Thank you for the answers. One problem a little different: this one does not has a pattern and was done with Face Curves and Sweeps (with Circular Profile). Is there a way to get all the diameters values from the Sweeps and attach to a sheet or something so I could change them together? Instead of just go clicking and changing one by one.
Use a global variable. Use the "circular profile" option in the sweep, and set the diameter of the profile. Then set the diameter to a global variable. I used "d".
image.png
Then make other sweeps and set the diameters to "d".
image.png
image.png (14.8 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Change the value in the equations window.
image.png
That will make all the sweeps the same diameter.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

matt wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:56 am Use a global variable. Use the "circular profile" option in the sweep, and set the diameter of the profile. Then set the diameter to a global variable. I used "d".
Amazing!!! Thank you very much :D UU
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Other option is link value using which you can link all the dimensions and then changing any one will change rest of them.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

gupta9665 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:48 am Other option is link value using which you can link all the dimensions and then changing any one will change rest of them.
Go it! Thank you very much UU
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

@Glenn Schroeder is correct the spline functionality was added to Structure Systems and not Weldments. DS has abandoned development of Weldments because SS is supposed to replace it...I tried it a while back and it was missing functionality. I keep asking when it will be ready for use; but can't get a clear answer. So, even though it'll do splines it's likely to burn you in some unforseen way after you've sunk many hours into it. So, I'd avoid SS for now.
Another option I haven't seen listed is to use Blocks. You can create a Block with a circle (or any shape) drop it into multiple sketches and use it to drive the profiles. Then if you change the block all instances will update.
Glenn Schroeder

Lucas wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 pm @Glenn Schroeder you mean the new SW online? (3DExperience cloud-based whatever? I don't understand the products mix DS is creating lol)
No, I meant the Structure System added in SW2019. See http://help.solidworks.com/2019/English ... 7a310e#Pg0.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ry-guy
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ry-guy »

Lucas wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:24 pm Thank you for the answers. One problem a little different: this one does not has a pattern and was done with Face Curves and Sweeps (with Circular Profile). Is there a way to get all the diameters values from the Sweeps and attach to a sheet or something so I could change them together? Instead of just go clicking and changing one by one.

Weldments is a convenient way to do lattices for additive manufacturing, would be nice to have some updates with that in mind. hhhh

image.png

For the first model it is possible to do another sketch and draw all the profile circles - but not in this situation.

image.png

@Glenn Schroeder you mean the new SW online? (3DExperience cloud-based whatever? I don't understand the products mix DS is creating lol)
Use DriveWorks!
Glenn Schroeder

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:21 am @Glenn Schroeder is correct the spline functionality was added to Structure Systems and not Weldments. DS has abandoned development of Weldments because SS is supposed to replace it...I tried it a while back and it was missing functionality. I keep asking when it will be ready for use; but can't get a clear answer. So, even though it'll do splines it's likely to burn you in some unforseen way after you've sunk many hours into it. So, I'd avoid SS for now.
Another option I haven't seen listed is to use Blocks. You can create a Block with a circle (or any shape) drop it into multiple sketches and use it to drive the profiles. Then if you change the block all instances will update.
I actually don't mind that they've stopped with development on weldments. That's one of the few areas of the software that I can't think of any big thing they could do to improve it (at least for what I use it for).

The inability to use cut list properties in BOM's, or to link to them in title block notes, is one issue that could use some help, but I doubt very much that they'll fix that with Structure Systems either, and there are other things that frustrate me much more than that issue.

Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

Oh, I was doing lattice with Structural Members and totally missed Structure System. lol
Looks like a more convenient way to do lattice, thank you guys UU
image.png
mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:21 am Another option I haven't seen listed is to use Blocks. You can create a Block with a circle (or any shape) drop it into multiple sketches and use it to drive the profiles. Then if you change the block all instances will update.
I will give a try, thanks UU
Ry-guy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:34 pm Use DriveWorks!
Did not know this software, will check it. Thanks UU