Fast Configuration changes for complex/heavy part files

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Fast Configuration changes for complex/heavy part files

Unread post by Lucas »

Usually before I create a complex part, for example: a part that contains patterns with a high number of instances, I just change the Image Quality on Document Properties tab. Like in this:
image.png
There might be more useful items that I am missing, and I would like to know what do you change in this kind of situation.

I have seen some suggestions from VARs but there are a lot of changes, and changing a lot of stuff on System Options will just be forgotten. lol

Basically, I want to be able to easily set everything at high quality again after the part design is done.

tu
matt
Answers: 19

Re: Fast Configuration changes for complex/heavy part files

Unread post by matt »

What I would do would be to create a simplified configuration that either suppresses the pattern or greatly diminishes it or replaces it with a sketch or hatching or something. This solves a lot of problems without turning down the display quality. Of course it may also cause some problems too. But this is really what the simplified configurations are for, especially for assemblies and drawings.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

I think I know what you mean. For assemblies I just read about creating a simplified configuration with less features, like with fillets and other aesthetic/useless items suppressed before inserting it on assemblies.

My main problem is that I have to deal with the patterns during the design phase, and it starts to get nasty after boolean operations. lol
But come to think of it, I will try to incorporate this way of thinking, to postpone the use of patterns and develop some simple auxiliary geometry. Thanks UU
CarrieIves

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Depending on what you are doing, the freeze bar can be helpful.

If you are going to be working on a portion of a complex part, here is a trick that you wouldn't think would help as much as it does. This is probably from about SolidWorks 2015 or 2016 since I think that I was working on this part in 2015/2016 time frame. I had a complex model that took a long time to regenerate. I was working on a small corner of them. I put in a cut that cut away all but the part of the model I was working on. I then rolled the freeze bar down to just after the cut. I did the work I needed. I would suppress the cut when I needed the rest of the model back. Once we had completed the changes that we needed. I deleted that cut. I don't remember who I heard this tip from.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

CarrieIves wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:09 pm Depending on what you are doing, the freeze bar can be helpful.

If you are going to be working on a portion of a complex part, here is a trick that you wouldn't think would help as much as it does. This is probably from about SolidWorks 2015 or 2016 since I think that I was working on this part in 2015/2016 time frame. I had a complex model that took a long time to regenerate. I was working on a small corner of them. I put in a cut that cut away all but the part of the model I was working on. I then rolled the freeze bar down to just after the cut. I did the work I needed. I would suppress the cut when I needed the rest of the model back. Once we had completed the changes that we needed. I deleted that cut. I don't remember who I heard this tip from.
I think it was @Tahhhd that showed me something similar using an assembly cut to be able to modify a large assembly that was consuming a lot of resources. It makes a big difference there, too.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

CarrieIves wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:09 pm Depending on what you are doing, the freeze bar can be helpful.

Interesting trick! I will try it, thanks UU