Where Used alternative?

DennisD
Answers: 1

Where Used alternative?

Unread post by DennisD »

I searched this forum and found this discussion: Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it? https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=438
Apparently SWX Explorer and the Where Used function are gone (I'm on SWX2021).

Right now I have need of the Where Used function. Does anybody have a workaround?
by SPerman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:31 pm
mike miller wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 pm Try renaming it and see what breaks.

No, I don't have a solution. I have wanted one for awhile....
You are actually correct. Chose "Rename." It gives you the list of "where used." (Why they didn't include where used as an option makes as much sense as anything else they do these days.)

Make sure your "File Locations" is set properly.
image.png
Go to full post
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Where Used alternative?

Unread post by mike miller »

Try renaming it and see what breaks.

He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DennisD wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:08 pm I searched this forum and found this discussion: Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it? https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=438

Right now I have need of the Where Used function. Does anybody have a workaround?

Hey Dennis,

I use CustomTools and it has a Where used functionality, though I doubt you'd get it simply for that because of the cost, though it does have a bunch of wonderful tools that you can put to use without having to create a gigantic set-up like we have.

In the following screenshot, I've done a "Where used" on DOOR-004 which I've selected in my feature manager. You can see the where used window, and I've circled a box you can check to show upper levels(We keep it unchecked as it makes for a far too big where used)
image.png
Edit: Unfortunately, the "Where used" of Customtools is not all that intelligent, in the sense that it doesn't know it's used in assemblies until you save these assemblies with customtools opened.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:08 pm I searched this forum and found this discussion: Solidworks Explorer - Does anyone really miss it? https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=438

Solid Edge Design Manager has a where used function but it's brute force checking every file in the directory structure(s) you give it, so I understand your need.

A true where used tool requires a database of some sort to track file references, a reader service that reads the file references on new or modified files and a scheduled scan tool to catch up if the service misses anything and finally a user interface to query the references. I wrote one for our Solid Edge files before PDM and to my surprise people actually used it and kinda liked it.

If your data set is small enough a brute force tool that uses Solidworks Document Manager API to read references in >every< assembly and part file in your data set could possibly work for you. I would think something close already exists.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

mike miller wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 pm Try renaming it and see what breaks.

You are actually correct. Chose "Rename." It gives you the list of "where used." (Why they didn't include where used as an option makes as much sense as anything else they do these days.)

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:31 pm You are actually correct. Chose "Rename." It gives you the list of "where used." (Why they didn't include where used as an option makes as much sense as anything else they do these days.)

image.png
How does it generate that list?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

You would have to ask the SW programmers that question.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:41 am You would have to ask the SW programmers that question.
I see now, it looks like you can tell it where to look, and since there's a pause button (implying it can take a long time) it's checking refs in every file in the directories selected to search in. Can be slow, but should get the job done.
image.png
Bibotac
Answers: 0

Unread post by Bibotac »

You can try "Bibotac".
It use an index and is a lot faster than Solidworks explorer.

https://sites.google.com/site/bibotacconcept
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

We can celebrate soon for our new baby.
SW usually separates the successful (favorite) features and starts selling after a while. yes, it was a feature that I used and loved, but he passed away and we will miss him very much.

Hey @DennisD
I usually open the drawing page and the assembly, access the part from within the assembly and save it as. Then I do the drawing and assembly crtl+Q and crtl+s. if you don't have hundreds of parts this works fast and well for me. I have no problems in technical drawing and assembly, then I delete the old part.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Ömür Tokman

SPerman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:31 pm You are actually correct. Chose "Rename." It gives you the list of "where used." (Why they didn't include where used as an option makes as much sense as anything else they do these days.)

image.png
I don't know why but this method mostly fails and SW shuts down. (SW2020 sp3)
Ömür Tokman

bnemec wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:24 am How does it generate that list?
In a rough explanation:
A database is embedded inside each assembly and holds the assembly-related data there. probably this application searches for names in those databases and lists the databases (ie assemblies) it finds with the same name.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:03 am I see now, it looks like you can tell it where to look, and since there's a pause button (implying it can take a long time) it's checking refs in every file in the directories selected to search in. Can be slow, but should get the job done.

image.png
Well, THIS DID WORK! Thanks! Specifically, RMB on the file and using SOLIDWORKS --> Rename did do a search and found where the part was being used. YAY!!!! ><

But doesn't this seem like a backdoor way to find where the part is used?!

Using SOLIDWORKS --> File Locations did not do anything as far as finding the other files that referenced the part file. Apparently the File Locations is solely for telling SWX where to look.

WTH!? How hard could it be to have a simple and straightforward selection for SOLIDWORKS --> Where Used?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Bibotac wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am You can try "Bibotac".
It use an index and is a lot faster than Solidworks explorer.

https://sites.google.com/site/bibotacconcept
Thank you for this. I'll look into it.

Has anyone else here used this?
- - -Randy Pausch
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I think you gave the wrong person credit. I need my "answer" count up. :)
-
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

SPerman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:39 am I think you gave the wrong person credit. I need my "answer" count up. :)
Yep, sorry! I did not mean to slight you, I was only looking at the most recent.

It's all better now.
UU
- - -Randy Pausch
mike miller

DennisD wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:31 pm Yep, sorry! I did not mean to slight you, I was only looking at the most recent.

It's all better now.
UU

No no! I was the first person to mention renaming. I just didn't realize the purple was superfluous.
;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Thanks. I just double my beer points. :)

And I agree. It would take almost no effort to have a "where used" button. But nothings surprises me with DSS.
-
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:19 pm Thanks. I just double my beer points. :)

And I agree. It would take almost no effort to have a "where used" button. But nothings surprises me with DSS.
With the components already in place for this type of where used search they could indeed just add the button, but I'll bet you it would be missing the needed last 5% functionality.
matt
Answers: 19

Unread post by matt »

Where used is a basic function in PDM. You can't really have a where used in parts or sub assemblies. The information goes up the tree, not down. To make it go down the tree, you have to search through the reference lists of a bunch of files. And even then you're not guaranteed to find where your part is used unless you've searched ALL the assemblies and parts.

PDM is simple and solves so many problems. Just do it. 8-)
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 pm Where used is a basic function in PDM. You can't really have a where used in parts or sub @$$. The information goes up the tree, not down. To make it go down the tree, you have to search through the reference lists of a bunch of files. And even then you're not guaranteed to find where your part is used unless you've searched ALL the @$$ and parts.

@matt Have you used the Where Used tab in PDM? It's not basic, it requires a good understanding of configurations and versions in PDM to be able to get reliable data. Most of the time it gives results you don't need to see and only shows a subset of the entire where used.
mike miller

matt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 pm Where used is a basic function in PDM. You can't really have a where used in parts or sub @$$. The information goes up the tree, not down. To make it go down the tree, you have to search through the reference lists of a bunch of files. And even then you're not guaranteed to find where your part is used unless you've searched ALL the @$$ and parts.

Uh @matt, your censor-bot is getting carried away. We can't even type @ssembly anymore! ;;
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:27 pm @matt Have you used the Where Used tab in PDM? It's not basic, it requires a good understanding of configurations and versions in PDM to be able to get reliable data. Most of the time it gives results you don't need to see and only shows a subset of the entire where used.
Well, it should be simple. You should get a list of assemblies, and possibly parts if you did a master model type thing. I've tried to get a license of SW PDM Standard, and apparently they don't want me to have one.

As for the word censor, yeah, that's great. I made a little modification so I didn't have to enter all the variations of @$$, like *butt-sphincter*, *head up your butt*, *toity paper boy*, kissass, jackass, dumbass, smartass, etc.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm Well, it should be simple. You should get a list of assemblies, and possibly parts if you did a master model type thing. I've tried to get a license of SW PDM Standard, and apparently they don't want me to have one.

As for the word censor, yeah, that's great. I made a little modification so I didn't have to enter all the variations of @$$, like *butt-sphincter*, *head up your butt*, *toity paper boy*, kissass, jackass, dumbass, smartass, etc.
I agree, it should be simple. Unfortunately, in practice it's not. Taking configurations out of the picture helped, but the second level of where used only shows where used of the single version of the first level of where used. So showing more than the first level is of little use because it doesn't give a full list. Equally unhelpful is there's no way to hide where used assemblies that no longer use that file. So it shows the latest version of the where used even if it's an old version. So it doesn't show all the current where used of the part file but it does show old versions of the where used files. o[
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm Well, it should be simple. You should get a list of assemblies, and possibly parts if you did a master model type thing. I've tried to get a license of SW PDM Standard, and apparently they don't want me to have one.

Don't forget whoopass, deadass, gassass, dickass, aspercreme, assumption, assimilate, asparagus, associate, sarsaparilla. . .

Is that being asinine?
- - -Randy Pausch
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 pm I agree, it should be simple. Unfortunately, in practice it's not. Taking configurations out of the picture helped, but the second level of where used only shows where used of the single version of the first level of where used. So showing more than the first level is of little use because it doesn't give a full list. Equally unhelpful is there's no way to hide where used assemblies that no longer use that file. So it shows the latest version of the where used even if it's an old version. So it doesn't show all the current where used of the part file but it does show old versions of the where used files. o[
Can't you limit the where used search to the latest revision?

I'm remembering PDMWorks, the cheap-@$$ text-based PDM did most of this acceptably.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:58 pm Don't forget whoopass, deadass, gassass, dickass, aspercreme, assumption, assimilate, asparagus, associate, sarsaparilla. . .

Is that being asinine?
I need assistance
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:00 pm Can't you limit the where used search to the latest revision?

I'm remembering PDMWorks, the cheap-@$$ text-based PDM did most of this acceptably.
We have not found how to limit the search to the latest version on the parent (assembly) side.
Bibotac
Answers: 0

Unread post by Bibotac »

DennisD wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:38 am Thank you for this. I'll look into it.

Has anyone else here used this?
Hi.
You may have a look here: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dex ... NArBAOtL5Q