best 3d sketch method.

David Matula
Answers: 0

best 3d sketch method.

Unread post by David Matula »

Got one for you guys.
One I have not seen before, or heard of till this past week.

your taking a skills test to make a 3d sketch. But the example sketch does not give enough information.

The test makers are to lazy to make a real 3d sketch file, and give you enough info to use your 3d sketching skills that you have been honing for all these years making real life projects. from Skids, pipe routs, and stair cases.
instead they create a model that was used to convert the edges to make a 3d sketch.

Review the sketch, and the examples and use their method to make the file, and then try and make a 3d sketch using all the skills and strange methods
from creating planes, to adding other reference sketches and still can't make the sketch 100% accurate to the one make from converting edges from the model. Seems that there is a 2mm difference in some of the points in the 3 or 4 different ways I tried to sketch the part using the 3d sketch method.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Re: best 3d sketch method.

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I of course can't address your specific issue, but I learned about creating a solid and converting edges in a 3d sketch at SW World a number of years ago in a class taught by @Alin. It can often be simpler and faster than creating the same 3d sketch from scratch. Below is a simple example where I've used that method.
Attachments
Rect-Square Stirrup, side lap.SLDPRT
(113.95 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I guess they'll use the 3d sketch in another software? To route the pipe? And beams?
Those building drawings are +/- an arm and an leg.
2mm is nothing.
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

David Matula wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:41 am Got one for you guys.
One I have not seen before, or heard of till this past week.

your taking a skills test to make a 3d sketch. But the example sketch does not give enough information.

The test makers are to lazy to make a real 3d sketch file, and give you enough info to use your 3d sketching skills that you have been honing for all these years making real life projects. from Skids, pipe routs, and stair cases.
instead they create a model that was used to convert the edges to make a 3d sketch.

Review the sketch, and the examples and use their method to make the file, and then try and make a 3d sketch using all the skills and strange methods
from creating planes, to adding other reference sketches and still can't make the sketch 100% accurate to the one make from converting edges from the model. Seems that there is a 2mm difference in some of the points in the 3 or 4 different ways I tried to sketch the part using the 3d sketch method.
Personally, it takes time... and one thing I'd do initially is toggle off Sketch Relations and use the Inferred Referencing as your guide to build your WireFrame 3D Sketches. Apply relations when/if needed,.. otherwise.. for the unaware, your layout can become a over constrained nightmare (delete all if needed to save your sanity) **
Attachments
nmr 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:08 pm Personally, it takes time... and one thing I'd do initially is toggle off Sketch Relations and use the Inferred Referencing as your guide to build your WireFrame 3D Sketches. Apply relations when/if needed,.. otherwise.. for the unaware, your layout can become a over constrained nightmare (delete all if needed to save your sanity) **
This is a great idea and could help me avoid one of the biggest issues I have had making 3D sketches.
Thank you Paul.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:09 am This is a great idea and could help me avoid one of the biggest issues I have had making 3D sketches.
Thank you Paul.
You probably already know this, but for someone reading this who may not you can hold down Ctrl while sketching to temporarily disable automatic relations and snaps. As soon as you release Ctrl they're back on.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:49 am You probably already know this, but for someone reading this who may not you can hold down Ctrl while sketching to temporarily disable automatic relations and snaps. As soon as you release Ctrl they're back on.
Thanks, Glenn!
Yeah, I have a hotkey "I" (infer) to toggle relations off/on. (also have the icon shown in my default menu to let me know) :D
Attachments
rel onoff.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau