Sheet metal clip

temo
Answers: 0

Sheet metal clip

Unread post by temo »

Hello
So I'm new to designing in sheet metal, but I have this clip I want to press out of an 2x20x55mm 316 metal strip. After designing the two tool press parts I think maybe this have to be pressed in at least two different tools?

The red part is the fully pressed clip, the blue part is the moving press tool, and the yellow is the stationary tool.
Clip solid for mould.JPG
Any tips on how I should go about this?

Terje
Dtief190

Re: Sheet metal clip

Unread post by Dtief190 »

Think of it like a molded part. The formed part has to have at least some draft angle so it can fall out of the yellow, and the tool / blue can slide straight out of the part.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

temo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:56 pm Hello
So I'm new to designing in sheet metal, but I have this clip I want to press out of an 2x20x55mm 316 metal strip. After designing the two tool press parts I think maybe this have to be pressed in at least two different tools?

The red part is the fully pressed clip, the blue part is the moving press tool, and the yellow is the stationary tool.Clip solid for mould.JPG

Any tips on how I should go about this?

Terje
Yes you're going to need at least two stations to do this. Also you're probably going to need to keep the ends attached to something and then have a final shearing station.

Not a die expert but I would swipe the leg up in the first station and then form the arc in the second. If you try to do this by just laying a single piece in there it will likely move and certainly not be consistent. You could start with a part with a manufacturing hole if that is allowable. If not you're going to have to do it out of a larger strip with mfg holes. Swipe the end up, form the arc, cut the mfg hole portion off.

Or something like that.
temo

Unread post by temo »

Thank's, will work on that tomorrow!
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

temo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:30 pm Thank's, will work on that tomorrow!
Also if this is a metal part and you are doing it in a die you will likely have to calculate and or experiment with spring back to get the right final product. If you form it right to size the metal will "Deform" back to something closer to it's natural state and end up not being what you want.

Typically metal parts are "Over bent" if they need to be close to some form, 90 degree bend might be 91 degrees in the die and so on. This will all depend on the material, form etc and for the most part is the real "Expertise" in die / Stamping manufacturing. Anyone can make a die that looks like the part. A real die maker will tell you where it shouldn't look like the part in order for the final product to actually look like the part.

Good luck
temo

Unread post by temo »

Hello again

Probably not a big difference, but I change the angle of attack, anyone think this is doable now?
The green bar is the part before bending, and in scale.

Terje
Clip solid for mould ver2.JPG
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

temo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:20 pm Hello again

Probably not a big difference, but I change the angle of attack, anyone think this is doable now?
The green bar is the part before bending, and in scale.

Terje

Clip solid for mould ver2.JPG
You might be able to get the form, but you're ends aren't going to end up where you want them. In fact the ends will probably be different from part to part. If you want to do it that way your best bet is to leave both ends really long and let it pull where it wants to and then cut the ends where you want them.

Look at it this way. As you start bending the material where are the ends going to go? There's nothing holding them in places so they're going to want to pop up and the odds of them popping up and then being pressed back down into the same position are slim to none.