Why Solidworks fails to sketch pattern a library feature?

Tera
Answers: 2

Why Solidworks fails to sketch pattern a library feature?

Unread post by Tera »

I was advised to use a library feature instead of a forming tool in This post

But it seems I can not sketch pattern this library feature.
Am I doing something stupid again?
Both library feature and a sample file is attached.

Any kind of advice is much appreciated.
Attachments
Part11.SLDPRT
(115.73 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
HalfShear.SLDLFP
(129.24 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
by JSculley » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm
mike miller wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm I tested it, and it is fine as long as your sketch locating the library feature is separate from the sketch used to pattern. IOW, you'll need two sketches: one to locate the feature, and another to drive the pattern.
That works, but you can also change the library feature so that a single sketch will work. The root cause seems to be the fact that the extrude sketch and the cut sketch are on the same plane. If you change the library feature to do the extrude first, and then use the end face of the extrude for the cut sketch (using Offset of course), the pattern will work using a single sketch:
image.png
HalfShear-Patternable.SLDLFP
This has nothing to do with library features by the way. You can dissolve the library feature and you will have the same problem.
Go to full post
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Why Solidworks fails to sketch pattern a library feature?

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Sorry, it's a future version file for me. So, I can't help.
@HerrTick, @gupta9665, @jcapriotti any of you have time for this?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I don't have 2021 installed.

@Tera You are inserting the library feature, then doing a sketch driven feature pattern after?
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

I tested it, and it is fine as long as your sketch locating the library feature is separate from the sketch used to pattern. IOW, you'll need two sketches: one to locate the feature, and another to drive the pattern.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

mike miller wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:13 pm I tested it, and it is fine as long as your sketch locating the library feature is separate from the sketch used to pattern. IOW, you'll need two sketches: one to locate the feature, and another to drive the pattern.
Per Mike... it works. You can't share the same point you had.. it piled on the feature on a feature. (image)
Attachments
px.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

That works, but you can also change the library feature so that a single sketch will work. The root cause seems to be the fact that the extrude sketch and the cut sketch are on the same plane. If you change the library feature to do the extrude first, and then use the end face of the extrude for the cut sketch (using Offset of course), the pattern will work using a single sketch:
image.png
HalfShear-Patternable.SLDLFP
(129.56 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
This has nothing to do with library features by the way. You can dissolve the library feature and you will have the same problem.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Million thanks.