SolidWorks know what rectangle or square is , but does not know what slot is.

Lapuo
Answers: 0

SolidWorks know what rectangle or square is , but does not know what slot is.

Unread post by Lapuo »

I know that SWX has this "slot" relation which will be broken if you delete slot entity.
I can understand that for SWX slot is one entity , but i cant understand who thought of that?! Why slot cant stay slot if i make one of its entities "for construction".
I cant make that with selecting element which i want to be for construction , because you can select only slot as entity to make it like so BUT , you can make it with trim tool-with "keep trimmed entites as construction geometry".
Why is this allowed anyway?

And why slot is one entity , but square , or hex (or whatever side number is) , or rectangle is one entity made of more entites so you can manipulate with those?
For example if you draw rectangle , you can select edges and make them as construction lines , you can even delete them , everything will stay "constrained".

Can someone explain to me why slot is made different?

I hope you guys can understand me , my English is self learned , and i know i cant express myself well
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: SolidWorks know what rectangle or square is , but does not know what slot is.

Unread post by mike miller »

Do you want to be able to delete (or toggle to construction) specific elements of a slot? If so, right click and select "explode slot".
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Lapuo

Re: SolidWorks know what rectangle or square is , but does not know what slot is.

Unread post by Lapuo »

I never know you could do this. Thanks!
Still dont get it why its behaviour is different from rectangle , polygon etc..
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Lapuo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 am I hope you guys can understand me , my English is self learned , and i know i cant express myself well
Honestly, it is really good, especially for self-learned English. Much better than my Spanish (and I even went to classes.)
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:31 am Honestly, it is really good, especially for self-learned English. Much better than my Spanish (and I even went to classes.)
Thanks , that means a lot.
I am much better at understanding that speaking it. I can explain what i want but i need to go with many alternative routes :D
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Lapuo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:13 am I never know you could do this. Thanks!
Still dont get it why its behaviour is different from rectangle , polygon etc..
Learning how Solidworks functions in practice is time well spent. Trying to figure out why certain things are the way they are is often (maybe even usually) an exercise in futility that will only lead to frustration, hair pulling, and feelings of despondency . . . and maybe drinking too much.

Your English, while maybe not grammatically perfect, is certainly understandable. In fact, your posts are written better than those by some native English speakers.

By the way, some words are spelled different in English, depending on which side of the Atlantic you come from. People in England seem to enjoy adding unnecessary vowels, like the "U" in behavior and other similar words.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

I heard recently that one big reason American words are spoken or spelled different is that many people wanted to do things different from the English prior to and during the American revolution. While that may be the driving cause, I think regional slang has much to do with it.
And @Lapuo I also wish to say you are doing a great job.
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:10 am Learning how Solidworks functions in practice is time well spent. Trying to figure out why certain things are the way they are is often (maybe even usually) an exercise in futility that will only lead to frustration, hair pulling, and feelings of despondency . . . and maybe drinking too much.

Your English, while maybe not grammatically perfect, is certainly understandable. In fact, your posts are written better than those by some native English speakers.

By the way, some words are spelled different in English, depending on which side of the Atlantic you come from. People in England seem to enjoy adding unnecessary vowels, like the "U" in behavior and other similar words.
Well said.
I work in SW more than 10 years , and still i am managing to find new stuff which frustrates , or annoy me..
However i am not drunkard yet :D

Thanks for nice words about me trying to speak English , and thanks for explaining some stuff about language too.
Here , where i live (Balkan - Bosnia) we have 3 different languages (3 different countries) - Bosnia, Croatia and Serbia where basically same language is spoken (minor differences, you can count them with fingers on your hands) but for some reason they are called different :D
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Lapuo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:21 am draw rectangle , you can select edges and make them as construction lines , you can even delete them , everything will stay "constrained".

Can someone explain to me why slot is made different?
The slot mate can let a pin slide along the slot and stop at the ends. This is not exact but it is useful. You can do the same thing with a combination of other mates, but this is a common situation for slots. I use it. I like that the slot mate breaks if I make changes that force the pin beyond the limit. Do that with a limit mate and the whole thing blows up.

Dwight
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Dwight wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:40 pm The slot mate can let a pin slide along the slot and stop at the ends. This is not exact but it is useful. You can do the same thing with a combination of other mates, but this is a common situation for slots. I use it. I like that the slot mate breaks if I make changes that force the pin beyond the limit. Do that with a limit mate and the whole thing blows up.

Dwight
Last week I wasted a lot of time looking for slots in Rhino and end up realizing that they are just automatic offsets from lines/arc (duh lol)

There are a few differences in their behavior: drag movement is not the same, slots have their relations hidden, plus this self destruction thing (for some reason)
=)