Sketch Block Mirrored

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Sketch Block Mirrored

Unread post by SPerman »

This is my first time attempting to use sketch blocks, and I am struggling.

Somehow I created a block that is a mirror of what I intended. Is it possible to either a) flip the sketch block when importing it or b) edit the sketch block so that it comes in correctly?
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Rob
Answers: 2

Re: Sketch Block Mirrored

Unread post by Rob »

Create a new plane and Flip Normal then insert your block there or Convert Entities from old sketch to a new sketch and recreate the block.

Does that make sense?

I tried it and it seems to work ok
image.png
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Wouldn't symetry work?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I think I will just recreate the block with the sketch oriented properly. I was hoping there was a simple fix.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:48 am I think I will just recreate the block with the sketch oriented properly. I was hoping there was a simple fix.
Why not just explode the block, symetry it to have it in the right orientation and recreate the block? Is there something I'm missing?
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

I've had nothing but bad luck mirroring curves beyond applying symmetry to individual lines and arcs in a sketch. Splines and conics? Forget it!

I've resorted to making surfaces from sketches and mirroring the surfaces to ensure stable results.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Rob wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:33 am Create a new plane and Flip Normal then insert your block there or Convert Entities from old sketch to a new sketch and recreate the block.

Does that make sense?

I tried it and it seems to work ok

image.png
I think @Rob's method is easiest: alter its Sketch Plane. If you had selected the face, begun a sketch there and inserted block, then you cannot flip that face. Instead, create a plane coincident to the face, sketch on that, and insert block. Then, if it is reversed then you can flip normal on that plane feature and the block will appear correctly.
... without going back and trying to edit the block.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:51 am Why not just explode the block, symetry it to have it in the right orientation and recreate the block? Is there something I'm missing?
I'm sure that would have worked, but it was just as easy to start from scratch. I had the sketch in other parts, it was just a matter of saving the block with the correct orientation.
-
MattW

Unread post by MattW »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:48 am I think I will just recreate the block with the sketch oriented properly. I was hoping there was a simple fix.
You can mirror the block like any other sketch entity. If you go through the mirror command first, there is an option for the mirror to be a copy, or not. Otherwise, you can just delete the original block
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I tried mirroring the block. It didn't work.
-
MattW

Unread post by MattW »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:44 pm I tried mirroring the block. It didn't work.

Can you share the block? Mine mirror fine.
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

SPerman wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:44 pm I tried mirroring the block. It didn't work.
In a new Sketch, Convert Entities from the block, draw a construction line anywhere and Mirror Entities. Did not work? o.o
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I never thought to use convert entities. That would have wored.
-