How to change settings to get preview when placing views in drawing

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Dwight
Answers: 2

How to change settings to get preview when placing views in drawing

Unread post by Dwight »

Is there a setting to get a preview when placing views in a drawing? I have to turn that option on each time I place a view. I've looked in the settings and googled it, but failed to find it.

Thanks

Dwight
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: How to change settings to get preview when placing views in drawing

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

image.png
You should be able to update this once and it will stay on.

If it isn't staying on, then you might have a registry issue.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

I do have that checked, and views preview when I move them.

I'm looking at the "Model View" window when first placing a view from a model. There's a "Preview" check box that causes placement box to preview. It works when I check it, but I'd like to have it on by default.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-11 104304.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Dwight wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 am I do have that checked, and views preview when I move them.

I'm looking at the "Model View" window when first placing a view from a model. There's a "Preview" check box that causes placement box to preview. It works when I check it, but I'd like to have it on by default.
Hello Dwight,

To be honest I never paid any attention to that checkbox before, but just did some experimenting. I opened a new drawing and selected a model to insert. The box wasn't checked, but I checked it before placing the view. I then opened another new drawing using the same template, and this time when I inserted a drawing view the box was already checked.

To sum all that up, that setting seems to be "sticky" instead of following any other setting or template. Are you not seeing that?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Dwight wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:47 am I do have that checked, and views preview when I move them.

Ahh, I misunderstood.

so....
OK, so I just tested this out with SW 2018 SP5:
I created a model view, checked the preview and then placed it.
Then immediately deleted the view and saved that empty drawing as a template.
When I then used that new template, the preview check was checked.
So looks like it works if you save a new template.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:57 am Hello Dwight,

To be honest I never paid any attention to that checkbox before, but just did some experimenting. I opened a new drawing and selected a model to insert. The box wasn't checked, but I checked it before placing the view. I then opened another new drawing using the same template, and this time when I inserted a drawing view the box was already checked.

To sum all that up, that setting seems to be "sticky" instead of following any other setting or template. Are you not seeing that?
I see that during a Solidworks session (SW2018) but not for a new session, even when I close on purpose instead of crashing out.

Thanks for looking. I'm doing a demo video for in-house users, and I wanted to give people the right advice. I'll just say to turn that on to preview. It would have been nice to change our standard settings to include that.

Dwight
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Dwight wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:05 pm I see that during a Solidworks session (SW2018) but not for a new session, even when I close on purpose instead of crashing out.

Thanks for looking. I'm doing a demo video for in-house users, and I wanted to give people the right advice. I'll just say to turn that on to preview. It would have been nice to change our standard settings to include that.

Dwight
I never would have thought it was sticky only in the same session. I assume you've tried turning that on when placing a dimension and then saving the drawing template?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 pm I never would have thought it was sticky only in the same session. I assume you've tried turning that on when placing a dimension and then saving the drawing template?
I tried it just now. No luck.