How to make a library Part always excluded from BOM?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Tom G
Answers: 0

How to make a library Part always excluded from BOM?

Unread post by Tom G »

I have a library part of a sample corner only of diamond deck raised surfaces, solely for the purpose of showing a representation that this large deck surface is diamond deck, and not merely plate. I sure am going to avoid the realistic depiction of hundreds of thousands of extra polygons in my model.

When making a BOM, this representative item does not need purchased. It is essentially a symbol. Is there any way to make it so that a library part is automatically excluded from BOM when inserted into an assembly?

I do not know of any way to code this into the Part component.

I do know that I could save it into an assembly by itself, make that part excluded from BOM, and add the assembly to the library to use instead of the part. Then, when it gets inserted into an assembly as a subassembly, the part is already excluded. This seems odd, but doable.

Another way that I already use is to include a PartType property to sort this item out of considered range in my output.
by jcapriotti » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:19 am
Tom G wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 pm Is there any way to make it so that a library part is automatically excluded from BOM when inserted into an assembly?
Probably doesn't help your situation but this option was added in 2022.
image.png
Go to full post
KevinC
Answers: 1

Re: How to make a library Part always excluded from BOM?

Unread post by KevinC »

Can it be made into an envelope?
Aren't envelopes excluded from BOMs?
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

KevinC wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:38 am Can it be made into an envelope?
Aren't envelopes excluded from BOMs?
They are, except you have to assign the part to be an envelope at the assembly level.

I suppose you could create a sub assembly in which you add that part and make it an envelope part, then only use that sub assembly.
And then, in the configuration properties for that sub assembly, select "promote".
image.png
I just tested it out and this works!!
Now, both the sub assembly and the envelope component are now excluded from every BOM they are added to!

But you cannot assign a part to be an envelope without adding it to an assembly.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Thank you. That's pretty much what I had imagined in the OP. In the same manner, a part could be kept in envelope status or any other assembly-only status by putting it in an assembly and storing that.

This workaround seems slightly redundant, but thank you for confirming this is the way to accomplish it.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Tom G wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:29 am Thank you. That's pretty much what I had imagined in the OP. In the same manner, a part could be kept in envelope status or any other assembly-only status by putting it in an assembly and storing that.

This workaround seems slightly redundant, but thank you for confirming this is the way to accomplish it.
They really need a Custom Property for this. It could be a checkbox that gets toggled when you right click and choose "Exclude from BOM".
josh
Answers: 15

Unread post by josh »

You could also insert the library part into the deckplate part. If you need a version of the deckplate with no texture, you can add a config with the library part suppressed.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Tom G wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:16 pm Is there any way to make it so that a library part is automatically excluded from BOM when inserted into an assembly?
Probably doesn't help your situation but this option was added in 2022.
image.png
Jason