Quickly find Draft feature in feature tree

zwei
Answers: 18

Quickly find Draft feature in feature tree

Unread post by zwei »

Is there a easy way to find a draft feature in feature tree?

Unlike normal feature which will show up in breadcrumb, for some reason draft just wont show up in breadcrumb

If the face is drafted using neutral plane, selecting the face will highlight the feature in the tree but will not automatically point you to the feature in the tree (eg: if you have a long tree, you wont really notice the highlighted feature in the tree until you scroll down)

If the face is drafted using parting line, selecting the face will not highlight any feature, if you have like 50+ draft feature, finding that particular draft can be a nightmare o[
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Quickly find Draft feature in feature tree

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

...selecting the face will highlight the feature in the tree but will not automatically point you to the feature in the tree (eg: if you have a long tree, you wont really notice the highlighted feature in the tree until you scroll down)...
Do you have this checked?
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

dpihlaja wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:40 pm Do you have this checked?
image.png
Yes i do, the problem is when i selected the face it scroll to the base feature (eg: extrude) instead of the draft,
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:33 pm Yes i do, the problem is when i selected the face it scroll to the base feature (eg: extrude) instead of the draft,
Yes, I found that out after I posted that. Woops. ()

The only other thing that I can think of is to use the filter in the tree.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

dpihlaja wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:55 am Yes, I found that out after I posted that. Woops. ()

image.png
Most of the time our part has like 50+ draft, filtering for draft does not really help :P, not to mention most of the folks dont even bother to name their feature...

So far the only viable option that i find is to look really closely at the feature tree dependencies
image.png
image.png (10.01 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Or use an extra click to find the child dependencies
image.png
image.png (13.07 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
grumph
Marco
Answers: 2

Unread post by Marco »

Don't you have this when you select a feature in your assembly or part? You can click on the feature or sketch and it will take you to the feature in the tree.
image.png
If you do not have this option switched on you can switch on the breadcrumbs
image.png
The problem with making anything foolproof..........
is that fools are so darn ingenious :)
takedownca
Answers: 0

Unread post by takedownca »

What version of SW? In SW2018 when I select a drafted face, the actual draft feature is selected in the feature tree. Also, Dynamic Reference Visualization (parent/child arrows) is enabled, selecting the base feature in the tree will result in a child arrows being displayed, including any draft features.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Marco wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:40 am Don't you have this when you select a feature in your assembly or part? You can click on the feature or sketch and it will take you to the feature in the tree.
image.png

If you do not have this option switched on you can switch on the breadcrumbs
image.png
Yes i have the breadcrumb option activated.
The issue is with the draft feature not showing up in the breadcrumb as shown in the image below
The example part has the OD drafted with a draft feature.
I had selected the drafted face, but the breadcrumb show the bread-extrude instead
image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

takedownca wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:52 am What version of SW? In SW2018 when I select a drafted face, the actual draft feature is selected in the feature tree. Also, Dynamic Reference Visualization (parent/child arrows) is enabled, selecting the base feature in the tree will result in a child arrows being displayed, including any draft features.
SW2019
Yes it highlight in the feature tree but for some reason it did not bring me directly to the draft feature (unlike when you select other face created with feature like cut or boss extrude), and it is not showing up in the breadcrumb.
When the feature tree has like 100+features, it is a real pain finding the draft (lots of scrolling)
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Yeah, unlike other features, draft doesn't actually create any geometry......more like a direct edit on the face.
Jason
sergio.monti
Answers: 1

Unread post by sergio.monti »

dpihlaja wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:55 am Yes, I found that out after I posted that. Woops. ()

image.png
Yes, this is very annoying... You can try to combine the two functions: use filter "Draft" on the top of the feature tree and then select the draft in the view and hope that the tree will still not be too long so you can see the highlighted draft!!!