Ok, who's gonna say it?

matt
Answers: 18

Ok, who's gonna say it?

Unread post by matt »

image.png
I know some of you wanted me to block the other SWYM thread, but now I'm gonna start one instead.
Sometimes on one of my sites, some links crop up where people discuss certain things. Today a link came up to the SWYM. Naturally curious about stuff, I clicked the link.

They sent out a message to (hundreds? thousands?) of SWYM members that says that they are no longer members of SWYM, and then offer a cryptic message that explains that everybody is really a member so no one needs to be a member. To a site that I have to register and sign in to read. Anyway. So I'm no longer a member. Which is really great because that will free up a lot of spare time and leave a lot of open brain processing time to think about where to go next.

Just wondering what you all think about that? <ll>
JSculley
Answers: 55

Re: Ok, who's gonna say it?

Unread post by JSculley »

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... gI6OLvXhOg

Can you post the equivalent CADForum statistics to what Matthew Hall has in this post for SWYM?

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... u4tBg7JCzA

1700 questions for a year seems like a sharp drop off compared to the old forum. It would be interesting to see how many questions and answers have happened here for SW for the past year.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm image.png
I know some of you wanted me to block the other SWYM thread, but now I'm gonna start one instead.
Sometimes on one of my sites, some links crop up where people discuss certain things. Today a link came up to the SWYM. Naturally curious about stuff, I clicked the link.

They sent out a message to (hundreds? thousands?) of SWYM members that says that they are no longer members of SWYM, and then offer a cryptic message that explains that everybody is really a member so no one needs to be a member. To a site that I have to register and sign in to read. Anyway. So I'm no longer a member. Which is really great because that will free up a lot of spare time and leave a lot of open brain processing time to think about where to go next.

Just wondering what you all think about that? <ll>
I'm sure there's no chance of them messing up your CAD data stored on that platform. That would be a terrible business decision.......oh wait......never mind.

FWIW, that Eric Beatty who seems to be the most enthusiastic user and "advocate" on there...............yeah, he's a DSS employee too.
Edit: Apparently he's not after all....but I still want to know how he got DSS under his name.

2021-12-07 15_15_53.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

JSculley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Can you post the equivalent CADForum statistics to what Matthew Hall has in this post for SWYM?

1700 questions for a year seems like a sharp drop off compared to the old forum. It would be interesting to see how many questions and answers have happened here for SW for the past year.
Those are not unique questions though. Many of them were duplicates to either old questions (which nobody can find anymore) or which were answered before in the SWYM(p).
I recall seeing at least 5x a question about online licensing within a week after their announcement...
matt

Unread post by matt »

Different statistics are available from different places. phpbb isn't big on providing a lot of information. You can get info on anyone through the profile (I believe this is restricted to registered users). For example, my stats:
image.png
And at the bottom of the Board Index page there are a lot of stats:
image.png
And I do get some google stats. This chart is for the number of people actively using the site since the beginning (march 8 2021).
image.png
And then there was the chart from early on that was submitted by a mysterious source:
comparative traffic.png
And here's another look:
image.png
There are a couple of things to say when you're looking at stats. First, we started flat-footed from zero in early March 2021, so we didn't have 15 years of momentum. Plus, this is not a commercial effort - it has been completely supported by myself and generous contributors here at the site. Also, this is a completely organic traffic. No promoted links, no SEO bullshit beyond common sense, no corporate sponsors, nothing. Just good topics, good answers, the right people, and good content, mostly thanks to you all.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

That's an interesting calendar being used for the plots.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

JSculley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm . . . 1700 questions for a year seems like a sharp drop off compared to the old forum. It would be interesting to see how many questions and answers have happened here for SW for the past year.
I think @gupta9665 answered at least that many every year.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm going to guess that this will drastically reduce the traffic on the swm site.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller

SPerman wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:48 pm I'm going to guess that this will drastically reduce the traffic on the swm site.

image.png
And if they took away the "Enhanced Graphics" option, traffic would drop to almost zero.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

In the interest of complete/accurate information. . .

1. Eric Beatty is not a SWX employee, though he is a fanboy. https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-a-beatty/
2. The message "You are no longer a member of SOLIDWORKS User Forum" was extremely poorly done. It does not mean you were kicked off their forum. It did more harm than they expected, despite this message. https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... gI6OLvXhOg
If the full explanation had been included in the message, or better yet, if it had been worded better they could have avoided the problems caused. o[

I post these just to try to tamp down misinformation and hysterics. Truth is truth and fair is fair. Let's keep it that way.

That said, I only go to that swamp to see additional information and even then only review recent posts because searching there is a horrible mess and an exercise in frustration. The pace of change is incredibly slow and the things they are implementing seem to be small increments at best. It is obvious that whole platform was put together without any input from the very people they want to use it. Some of the things they are "about to implement" I told them about over a year ago. They were so obvious then, but it seems like someone just gave them an epiphany. (Yes, that is a sort of pun-in-time.)

Do you remember when the SOLIDWORKS News & Info used to be SOLIDWORKS Connect? People were posting in SWX Connect questions that should have been posted in the Forum. That still happens in the News & Info section, but was reduced a bit when they renamed it.
(You should see the long emails I sent 'splaining that to them. It still took them a few months to reach that conclusion and then another couple to simply rename it.) I also told them that the SOLIDWORKS News & Info group should only allow people to post replies to their "official" posts. This would really reduce the mis-posting of forum questions.

And now, after an even longer period of time considering my suggestion, they are about to fix another problem that was obvious and simple to do right in the first place. In the Forum section you will not be able to post an Idea, but only post a Question (default) or a Post (Discussion). Ideas will be directed to another group for ideas to improve the forum or to the customer portal for submitting an Enhancement Request for improving the software. Believe me, I have my heartburn with the current TTL/ER systems, but at least these moves will dramatically reduce the clutter and confusion in the forum over there.

The really sad thing is that these things did not require any serious programming, just a) naming the News & Info to what it should have been all along and b) the other items are permission settings. They are basically what we used to have on the old Jive forum, but it took me and a couple of others a lot of effort to get this through their corporate skulls.

/rant=off/ ><
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mike miller

DennisD wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:59 pm In the interest of complete/accurate information. . .

1. Eric Beatty is not a SWX employee, though he is a fanboy. https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-a-beatty/
Not to argue, but why does it say Dassault Systemes under his name? Can I get that too?
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

I wouldn't mind if all mention of that other site disappeared from this forum.

Dwight
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:19 pm Not to argue, but why does it say Dassault Systemes under his name? Can I get that too?
Some things have no explanation (at least not from me).

Mike, try resetting your last name in your profile there to be ALL CAPS. I am the antithesis of a fanboy so I made my first name all caps. It is a small poke in the eye I can do. :lol:
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:19 pm Not to argue, but why does it say Dassault Systemes under his name? Can I get that too?

Hold it, what is this that I see? Mike is from Dassault Systemes too!!! He's one of THEM!!!! PITCHFORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.png
image.png (5.58 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
mike miller

matt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:05 pm
Hold it, what is this that I see? Mike is from Dassault Systemes too!!! He's one of THEM!!!! PITCHFORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.png
Yeah, I'm a traitor. ;;
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:05 pm

image.png
Matt, you should have simply said
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
- - -Randy Pausch
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

JSculley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm Can you post the equivalent CADForum statistics to what Matthew Hall has in this post for SWYM?

I did post something "quite" similar few months ago...
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=865
image.png

If people are interested, maybe we can look at the stats as a yearly-activity?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

To be honest... I am not surprised anymore....
It seem like no one at DS sit down and think about whether THEY SHOULD DO THIS...
image.png
image.png (11.68 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
I am willing to guess that "YOU ARE NO LONGER A MEMBER BLABLABLBA" is the default wording throughout the whole platform and they dont bother to think about what happen when they do THAT FOR ALL user
(Or they dont even know until it happen :P)

Not a programmer nor having any knowledge in website... but a better solution will be just create a new role in the community (eg: WIKI AUTHOR) and assign those that need to be the wiki author the role. This should not impact anyone else at all.
But i guess i am asking too much eh

Also, just visited the SWYMP today.....and....WHHUTT?
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

JSculley wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Please post a video so that I can watch it to understand this process...
mattpeneguy

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:20 am To be honest... I am not surprised anymore....
It seem like no one at DS sit down and think about whether THEY SHOULD DO THIS...

image.png

I am willing to guess that "YOU ARE NO LONGER A MEMBER BLABLABLBA" is the default wording throughout the whole platform and they dont bother to think about what happen when they do THAT FOR ALL user

Not a programmer nor having any knowledge in website... but a better solution will be just create a new role in the community (eg: WIKI AUTHOR) and assign those that need to be the wiki author the role. This should not impact anyone else at all.

image.png
I've said it before over there and probably here...I believe there are two groups running DS. One group is responsible for making terrible decisions. The other group is responsible for cleaning up the mess.
berg_lauritz

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:20 am To be honest... I am not surprised anymore....

image.png

image.png
Yeah... something looks fishy here. I'm pretty sure that there are others that contribute WAY more than I do. (Kevin Chandler, Deepak Gupta, @Glenn Schroeder ...)
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:51 am I've said it before over there and probably here...I believe there are two groups running DS. One group is responsible for making terrible decisions. The other group is responsible for cleaning up the mess.
What about the group that is tasked with implementing the terrible decisions?
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 am Yeah... something looks fishy here. I'm pretty sure that there are others that contribute WAY more than I do. (Kevin Chandler, Deepak Gupta, @Glenn Schroeder ...)
Agree..

My guess is it is base on number of post and question created...
So if people only answer other's question... They dont count as contributor? WHUT?
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:36 am Agree..

My guess is it is base on number of post and question created...
So if people only answer other's question... They dont count as contributor? WHUT?
Perhaps DSS is using the same statistics generator for the SWYMp as they did for the numbers of clients on the Platform.
berg_lauritz

So basically "Top contributor" means "people who have no clue".
@Zhen-Wei Tee
Ben
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ben »

jfc i made it to #7 on idea's generated. all i did was complain.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Flaw was at the top of one of the lists and I'm pretty sure he never said anything nice over there.
-
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

should have had a list of "most $#!+ talked"

i was so bored at work when the new forum started, that all i did was complain
Austin Schukar

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

SPerman wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:32 pm Flaw was at the top of one of the lists and I'm pretty sure he never said anything nice over there.
Is he still around that or this forum? Haven't seen him in a bit.
Austin
mike miller

Austin Schukar wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:13 am Is he still around that or this forum? Haven't seen him in a bit.
Haven't seen him for awhile. I know he quit his old job and wanted to go back to using IV.

Matt Juric is another one that kind of fell off the edge of cyberspace.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:16 am Haven't seen him for awhile. I know he quit his old job and wanted to go back to using IV.

Matt Juric is another one that kind of fell off the edge of cyberspace.
I'd like to go back to using IV or SE, not fussy.
berg_lauritz

Who knew something like this would happen?
Screenshot 2022-01-14 093632.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

berg_lauritz wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:38 am Who knew something like this would happen?

Screenshot 2022-01-14 093632.png
Is that in the TTL? Getting any votes?
mattpeneguy

bnemec wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:22 pm Is that in the TTL? Getting any votes?
Looks more like it belongs in the enhancement request thread, right?...Somebody should reply to the post to move it there...
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:03 pm Looks more like it belongs in the enhancement request thread, right?...Somebody should reply to the post to move it there...
Sounds about right. It's suffering from ED but solving the problem with enhancements...
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DennisD wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:59 pm In the interest of complete/accurate information. . .

2. The message "You are no longer a member of SOLIDWORKS User Forum" was extremely poorly done. It does not mean you were kicked off their forum. It did more harm than they expected, despite this message. https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... gI6OLvXhOg
If the full explanation had been included in the message, or better yet, if it had been worded better they could have avoided the problems caused. o[

I post these just to try to tamp down misinformation and hysterics. Truth is truth and fair is fair. Let's keep it that way.

That said, I only go to that swamp to see additional information and even then only review recent posts because searching there is a horrible mess and an exercise in frustration. The pace of change is incredibly slow and the things they are implementing seem to be small increments at best. It is obvious that whole platform was put together without any input from the very people they want to use it. Some of the things they are "about to implement" I told them about over a year ago. They were so obvious then, but it seems like someone just gave them an epiphany. (Yes, that is a sort of pun-in-time.)

Do you remember when the SOLIDWORKS News & Info used to be SOLIDWORKS Connect? People were posting in SWX Connect questions that should have been posted in the Forum. That still happens in the News & Info section, but was reduced a bit when they renamed it.
(You should see the long emails I sent 'splaining that to them. It still took them a few months to reach that conclusion and then another couple to simply rename it.) I also told them that the SOLIDWORKS News & Info group should only allow people to post replies to their "official" posts. This would really reduce the mis-posting of forum questions.

And now, after an even longer period of time considering my suggestion, they are about to fix another problem that was obvious and simple to do right in the first place. In the Forum section you will not be able to post an Idea, but only post a Question (default) or a Post (Discussion). Ideas will be directed to another group for ideas to improve the forum or to the customer portal for submitting an Enhancement Request for improving the software. Believe me, I have my heartburn with the current TTL/ER systems, but at least these moves will dramatically reduce the clutter and confusion in the forum over there.

The really sad thing is that these things did not require any serious programming, just a) naming the News & Info to what it should have been all along and b) the other items are permission settings. They are basically what we used to have on the old Jive forum, but it took me and a couple of others a lot of effort to get this through their corporate skulls.

/rant=off/ ><
Reading this, the only thing that comes to mind is that the bureaucracy of the company is impeaching the progress of the platform. Most likely too many chiefs and not enough indians.

To me, the sad thing is that you have to spend countless unpaid hours explaining them an obvious issue so that you can have something that's half decent that works for you, and in the end they'll be profiting off of this.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Looks like some spam got through on the Swamp:
image.png
There are tons of them...

I scrolled for a solid 20 seconds and saw no end in sight of these messages...
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:14 am Reading this, the only thing that comes to mind is that the bureaucracy of the company is impeaching the progress of the platform. Most likely too many chiefs and not enough indians.

To me, the sad thing is that you have to spend countless unpaid hours explaining them an obvious issue so that you can have something that's half decent that works for you, and in the end they'll be profiting off of this.
...and, in all honestly we want to do this...
Attachments
dog-pug.gif
dog-pug.gif (2.32 MiB) Viewed 5121 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Austin Schukar

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:09 am Looks like some spam got through on the Swamp:

image.png

There are tons of them...

I scrolled for a solid 20 seconds and saw no end in sight of these messages...
He managed to post 845 times before he was cut off.
Austin
mike miller

Austin Schukar wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:55 pm He managed to post 845 times before he was cut off.
:shock:

You counted?
Austin Schukar

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:06 pm :shock:

You counted?
I'm subscribed to the User Forum there, so I get sent an email for every post published to it. In this case, my inbox counted...but I got pinged EVERY time. Happens with all spammers.
Austin
Ivan

Unread post by Ivan »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:41 pm I'm sure there's no chance of them messing up your CAD data stored on that platform. That would be a terrible business decision.......oh wait......never mind.

FWIW, that Eric Beatty who seems to be the most enthusiastic user and "advocate" on there...............yeah, he's a DSS employee too.
Edit: Apparently he's not after all....but I still want to know how he got DSS under his name.

2021-12-07 15_15_53.jpg
I don't have a perfect answer for this but it has something to do with which 'tenant' you log into. And I'm not even sure if I'm using the term tenant correctly :) And sometimes it shows up under my name, and sometimes it doesn't. However, the User Forum content shows up under 'Dassault Systemes' and as a user group leader our SWUGN content shows up under 'SOLIDWORKS User Advocacy'. It directs you to 2 different sites if you will.
image.png
image.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
berg_lauritz

Screenshot 2022-01-18 134616.png
found this gem today while going through the 3DXperience World schedule.
mike miller

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm Screenshot 2022-01-18 134616.png

You can't make this stuff up! :lol:
matt

Unread post by matt »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm Screenshot 2022-01-18 134616.png

Yeah, count me in. I'll have more to say about this afterward. ** ~~~~
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Are they counting this place as a solidworks forum?
-
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm Are they counting this place as a solidworks forum?
Dont think so
More like a presentation to justify why the hell they need to have two community in swymp i guess?
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Maybe the are referring to the fact that if you search, you see this, but then you have to go to the real forums to "view or reply."
image.png
-
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm Are they counting this place as a solidworks forum?
Yes, he is.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:03 am Dont think so
More like a presentation to justify why the hell they need to have two community in swymp i guess?
image.png
Wrong. He will be discussing the options users have in participating on this forum and the official one. When to use one and when to use the other.