General table with Config info?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
David Matula
Answers: 0

General table with Config info?

Unread post by David Matula »

Looking for a general table that will pick up information in the parts.
Let you pick the configs in column a and then fill out the properties along the way. like if you had an A, B, C, dimension or wanted to add a column for weight. I don't want to use the excel file.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: General table with Config info?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't know that you can do that with a general table. Have you considered creating an Assembly with one instance of each configuration and using a BOM to do this?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

How about the design table?
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

gupta9665 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:02 am How about the design table?
I interpreted him stating he didn't want to use the Excel file as meaning he didn't want to use a Design Table. But, AFAIK the only 2 ways to do this are what you two have mentioned, a BOM or a Design Table...Well, unless you used a macro or something to update a generic table (not sure that's possible and if so probably not advisable).
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

gupta9665 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:02 am How about the design table?
No Deepak, bad Deepak.

In all seriousness, this is long, long overdue.
Jason
David Matula

my thoughts are that it could be like a bom, where you can add configs to the table like you would with a bom. The only thing is getting the set up right for it. Like what dimensions you would want to pull, to what custom properties that you would also want to have it show. Guess that just having the dimension name would be good for that, and then the rest should fall into place.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

David Matula wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:05 am my thoughts are that it could be like a bom, where you can add configs to the table like you would with a bom. The only thing is getting the set up right for it. Like what dimensions you would want to pull, to what custom properties that you would also want to have it show. Guess that just having the dimension name would be good for that, and then the rest should fall into place.
Again, that could all be easily done with a BOM. If there's a dimension you want in the table just set a custom property in the Part that's linked to the dimension, then reference that property in a column of the BOM.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
David Matula

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:08 am Again, that could all be easily done with a BOM. If there's a dimension you want in the table just set a custom property in the Part that's linked to the dimension, then reference that property in a column of the BOM.
THAT WOULD REQUIRE AN ASSEMBLY, why make another model that you don't need to pull information out of a part. Working with PDM and Windchill, makes doing some of these things not a simple as if your not. If it was not for creating an assembly that required all the configurations that would be in the table, and having to rev that with the parts and drawings. Just another problematic situation along with the SOP at this location.

Search for the enhancement request if you think it would be nice to add this function to SolidWorks.
loeb
Answers: 1

Unread post by loeb »

It BLOWS MY MIND that this functionality does not exist. We wrote some macros that cycle through the configs and put Custom Properties in a table. The data is not parametrically linked to the parts/assemblies, but you can always delete the general table and rerun the macro when you need an update.
JuTu
Answers: 1

Unread post by JuTu »

How about using Config Feature? It's not excel-spreadsheet ie. design table, but there, you can choose which features have which values in spreadsheetish style without relying on excel. It can be used to select suppress/unsuppress, values for dimensions, etc.

To my understanding that could fill the void.
Sincerely,
JuTu