Another one of Alin's 5%'ers

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Another one of Alin's 5%'ers

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

So in SW2022, when working an Assembly, and you right-click on a component and choose "Configure Component", you now get the usual simplified design table, but with a column added for Fixed. People have been asking for that for years. I can't imagine when I'd ever use it, but I didn't mind.

However, I would like to talk to whoever decided that those boxes should be unchecked by default in all circumstances. Apparently it never occurred to anyone that if that component was already Fixed that box should be checked? Here's another example of an "enhancement" that 's causing me more work instead of less.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Another one of Alin's 5%'ers

Unread post by AlexLachance »

There's another 5% for Alin.

And the circus continues
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:50 pm So in SW2022, when working an Assembly, and you right-click on a component and choose "Configure Component", you now get the usual simplified design table, but with a column added for Fixed. People have been asking for that for years. I can't imagine when I'd ever use it, but I didn't mind.

However, I would like to talk to whoever decided that those boxes should be unchecked by default in all circumstances. Apparently it never occurred to anyone that if that component was already Fixed that box should be checked? Here's another example of an "enhancement" that 's causing me more work instead of less.
Amazing! One of the things I like about configurations is that making a new configuration starts out as a copy of the active one, and a change to a feature/dimension/mate/whatever affects all configurations unless that change is indicated to be configuration-controlled. What you are describing, @Glenn Schroeder is a big problem.

To whom do we owe the thanks for this "enhancement"?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Glenn Schroeder

By the way, for those who weren't around when we were on the old forum platform, I wasn't blaming @Alin for this, though I can see how the title could be interpreted that way. I was referring to a series of discussions he started in that old forum about features in SW that were 5% away from being implemented correctly.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:10 pm By the way, for those who weren't around when we were on the old forum platform, I wasn't blaming @Alin for this, though I can see how the title could be interpreted that way. I was referring to a series of discussions he started in that old forum about features in SW that were 5% away from being implemented correctly.
I wasn't blaming him either. It was more a pun at how it's a common trend for SolidWorks, so my apologies to @Alin if he interpreted it that way. I always enjoy his ideas because they're often creative solutions that bring many opportunities to the table. Unfortunately though, too often these solutions are implemented with bugs, or missing functionalities, that then become another one of those 5% articles.

I also enjoy how he's able to "break down an idea" in an article or presentation and find terms that the general public can understand, even if english isn't their first language.

Oh, and he's Canadian, how could I not like him.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:50 pm Apparently it never occurred to anyone that if that component was already Fixed that box should be checked?
@Glenn Schroeder
Mine is checked.

If I select "Configure Component" for a fixed component in an assembly, the checkbox you're talking about is checked.
If the component is float, the checkbox is unchecked.

Or am I misunderstanding you?
mate.mp4
(2.41 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
Glenn Schroeder

Tera wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:06 pm @Glenn Schroeder
Mine is checked.

If I select "Configure Component" for a fixed component in an assembly, the checkbox you're talking about is checked.
If the component is float, the checkbox is unchecked.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

mate.mp4
No, you're not misunderstanding, but your situation is a little different. Maybe it isn't checked if the component is the first inserted, and it was never mated? See below. However, just now when I did that, and exited the function, the component was still Fixed. It hasn't always been in the past. At least twice when I exited that table the first component was Floating when it had been Fixed before.

image.png

mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:28 am No, you're not misunderstanding, but your situation is a little different. Maybe it isn't checked if the component is the first inserted, and it was never mated? See below. However, just now when I did that, and exited the function, the component was still Fixed. It hasn't always been in the past. At least twice when I exited that table the first component was Floating when it had been Fixed before.

image.png
If you are expecting consistency, why are you still using SW?
Glenn Schroeder

I reached out to GoEngineer support, and the tech assigned to it said he's seeing the same behavior I initially reported. I believe he's submitting a service request.

I know some people have trouble with their VAR's, but I have only good things to say about ours.