Convert Entities Greyed Out!? 2021sp5.1

zxys001
Answers: 4

Convert Entities Greyed Out!? 2021sp5.1

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello All,
Has anyone seen Convert Entities Greyed Out before?
I was working on a single sldprt, not my sldprt, and I opened it for the first time.
I can not recall ever seeing this happen before?
Anyhow, while the sldprt was open, I opened up a new sldprt to test and make sure it was working, and it did.
I went back to the opened sldprt and it was no longer greyed out!? grumph

I can NOT repeat it. <()>
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Convert Entities Greyed Out!? 2021sp5.1

Unread post by zwei »

Graphic problem. Make sure you have SW certified graphic card 8-)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:30 am Graphic problem. Make sure you have SW certified graphic card 8-)
grumph :lol:
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Uncheck the enhanced graphics performance
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

zxys001 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:03 am Hello All,
Has anyone seen Convert Entities Greyed Out before?
I was working on a single sldprt, not my sldprt, and I opened it for the first time.
I can not recall ever seeing this happen before?
Anyhow, while the sldprt was open, I opened up a new sldprt to test and make sure it was working, and it did.
I went back to the opened sldprt and it was no longer greyed out!? grumph

I can NOT repeat it. <()>

Had you just opened the part?

In other words, was the graphics loaded, but not the geometry yet?

Do you have this unchecked?
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:23 am Uncheck the enhanced graphics performance
Hey Alex,.. yeah, not using that graphics setting but I wonder of the other designer was/is?

I'm finding/seeing other odd behaviors with the data.

hmm.... UU
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:10 am Had you just opened the part?

In other words, was the graphics loaded, but not the geometry yet?

Do you have this unchecked?
image.png
Hello Dan,.. yes, I have always had that setting checked on. and yes, it was after I first opened and tried to edit a sketch and the greyed out convert entities.
Then, the graphics or line entities are not loaded until something triggers a entities refresh? (this is new to me, never seen it before)

So, flipping between that test open/edit part may have triggered the menu graphics to flip on after the refresh the line graphics (which were dumb)?

This is something new I have never encountered.

Is this a known issue among you guys when sharing SW data?

To be clear,.. the data was part of a Sub Assy.. so it was already loaded in the background. It was the first time I had opened directly to edit. Then the background data is just in graphics mode still and full edit mode is not available until..... what?... a refresh or... what specifically triggers edit access to the geometry?

Thanks. UU
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

zxys001 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:25 am Hello Dan,.. yes, I have always had that setting checked on. and yes, it was after I first opened and tried to edit a sketch and the greyed out convert entities.
Then, the graphics or line entities are not loaded until something triggers a entities refresh? (this is new to me, never seen it before)

So, flipping between that test open/edit part may have triggered the menu graphics to flip on after the refresh the line graphics (which were dumb)?

To be clear,.. the data was part of a Sub Assy.. so it was already loaded in the background. It was the first time I had opened directly to edit. Then the background data is just in graphics mode still and full edit mode is not available until..... what?... a refresh or... what specifically triggers edit access to the geometry?

Thanks. UU
Stop editing parts...
DanPihlaja

zxys001 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:25 am Hello Dan,.. yes, I have always had that setting checked on. and yes, it was after I first opened and tried to edit a sketch and the greyed out convert entities.

Thanks. UU
OK, based on what you wrote here, it isn't what I was suspecting.

What I was suspecting, is, if you have that option unchecked, then you can do SOME things while it is still background loading. But other things are greyed out. So, based on what you said, it likely is not that, unless you had it opened lightweight (did you?)

If you had it loaded lightweight, then when you attempt to edit it, it will then load in the geometry. But it will not be loaded before that.

The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe you had a window open off screen? Like the measure command or something similar. But then, there would be a lot of other things greyed out in that case as well.....so....not sure.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

DanPihlaja wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:18 am OK, based on what you wrote here, it isn't what I was suspecting.

What I was suspecting, is, if you have that option unchecked, then you can do SOME things while it is still background loading. But other things are greyed out. So, based on what you said, it likely is not that, unless you had it opened lightweight (did you?)

If you had it loaded lightweight, then when you attempt to edit it, it will then load in the geometry. But it will not be loaded before that.

The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe you had a window open off screen? Like the measure command or something similar. But then, there would be a lot of other things greyed out in that case as well.....so....not sure.
You may have something there but I'm pretty sure Lightweight was not used (I'll confirm if the other person is/has used it?) but I know I don't.
Something triggered it off and then back on?
DanPihlaja

zxys001 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 am You may have something there but I'm pretty sure Lightweight was not used (I'll confirm if the other person is/has used it?) but I know I don't.
Something triggered it off and then back on?
I guess it depends on what is checked and not checked here:
image.png
Try setting the large assembly mode number to 1 and then restarting solidworks and opening any assembly.
image.png
See if you can reproduce it.

Or check his/her settings.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

Geez, Paul! You work side-by-side with some of the greatest SolidWorks talent known to mankind, and you had to ask here?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Dan, yeah, understand but the top level Asm is <50 parts and at the time of opening that Asm was only ~10 parts.
I wonder if there is new code in there for display status which, when saved, only had graphics set for opening and geometry load was suspended?
Again, with this code new being used on the web/cloud, if there is something with suspended this in a display state?
Maybe a setting which unlocks this state?
Anyhow, I have not seen the problem crop up... so, glad it's not!
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

HerrTick wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:21 pm Geez, Paul! You work side-by-side with some of the greatest SolidWorks talent known to mankind, and you had to ask here?
Ha!... i wanted to ask the person in paradise sipping the Mia Tai. UU