Blocky Circles

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Blocky Circles

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I know that this has been asked before...but honestly I don't ever remember seeing a good solution for it....so here goes.

I am using SW 2018 SP5

1) Here is my Image quality for this part:
image.png
2) Notice that these circles appear jagged?
image.png
3) I originally had the sliders for resolution set to about 50%. But I slid them to where you see them in the above picture.

Honestly, I didn't really see a difference between the 2.

I have hit CTRL-Q already and have also closed the part and re-opened it.

I am trying to take a snapshot to show the customer....and, while I don't need it to be a fancy rendered image.....I do want my circles to look like circles.

What else should I do?

Edit:

I just dragged my sliders to here:
image.png
Here is the updated circle resolution:
image.png
0 improvement at all...

edit 2:

I just dragged (drug?) the sliders into the red:
image.png
So, now there is an improvement....
image.png
by JSculley » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:45 am
This problem is exacerbated by mixing large and small features, a.k.a. large aspect ratios. If I model a 3" diameter diameter cylinder, 120" long with a 2" diameter extruded cut using these Image Quality settings:
image.png
both circles are highly faceted:
image.png
If i change the overall length to 12", things are much improved:
image.png
The faceting is based on displayed geometry, so if you just need a screenshot, you can cut away the material you don't need to show temporarily so that the overall aspect ratio is lower.
Go to full post
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Blocky Circles

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Without really looking at it in detail, maybe you could just use Photoview 360 and render it. Here's a bronze bushing I just rendered real quick:
image.png
It should get rid of those lines and can look a little more "life like" without having to spend any time with Visualize (steep learning curve).
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

You know part and assembly image quality differ right? So even if your assembly is set to high, if your part is set to low your part will show in low.

Edit: and image quality in parts need to rebuild to change quality, so if you got the slider down it won't update.
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

Wonder if that could have something to do with Anti-Aliasing settings via the GPU?
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

This problem is exacerbated by mixing large and small features, a.k.a. large aspect ratios. If I model a 3" diameter diameter cylinder, 120" long with a 2" diameter extruded cut using these Image Quality settings:
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png (23.03 KiB) Viewed 879 times
The faceting is based on displayed geometry, so if you just need a screenshot, you can cut away the material you don't need to show temporarily so that the overall aspect ratio is lower.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

JSculley wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:45 am This problem is exacerbated by mixing large and small features, a.k.a. large aspect ratios. If I model a 3" diameter diameter cylinder, 120" long with a 2" diameter extruded cut using these Image Quality settings:
image.png
image.png
image.png
I guess I didn't realize that. In the case I showed for an example, it was an engine component 3 feet across.

Thank you!
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14