Rebuild warning that won't go away.

Dtief190
Answers: 0

Rebuild warning that won't go away.

Unread post by Dtief190 »

I have an assembly with a sub assembly that always has the red/green traffic light on it.

Not sure if this description will get the idea across.... Anyway, basic idea of the structure is this outline / tree below

Main assembly
Sub Assy1
Sub Assy2 -the one with the warning
Panel assy
Panel
Some parts
Lots of parts
Some more assemblies
Some more parts

I just went through it, and deleted every part except the sub assy1, and the tree down to the planel .prt. Trying to find the source of the warning. Left only the one panel.prt. Deleted all of the mates. And still the red/green thing stays. WTF? Used the red/green button on the top line to rebuild between deletes.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Rebuild warning that won't go away.

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Just a shot in the dark here, has Sub Assy2 been saved as whatever version of SW you are using?
Are there any external references in that sub asm?
If you can post the zipped up ASM, someone may be able to take a look at it.
Things like this are tricky to troubleshoot over the interwebs. Send in a support ticket to your VAR, too.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Dtief190 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm I have an assembly with a sub assembly that always has the red/green traffic light on it.

Not sure if this description will get the idea across.... Anyway, basic idea of the structure is this outline / tree below

Main assembly
Sub Assy1
Panel assy
Panel
Some parts
Lots of parts
Some more assemblies
Some more parts

I just went through it, and deleted every part except the sub assy1, and the tree down to the planel .prt. Trying to find the source of the warning. Left only the one panel.prt. Deleted all of the mates. And still the red/green thing stays. WTF? Used the red/green button on the top line to rebuild between deletes.
Go to file>Reference, look in there.

My thinking, is that sub assy 2 has a part or something that needs Sub Assy1 to rebuild in order for it to rebuild.

So, Part asks Sub Assy 1 to rebuild, Sub Assy1 Rebuilds, Sub Assy2 rebuilds, Part asks for Sub Assy1 again to rebuild.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Dtief190 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm I have an assembly with a sub assembly that always has the red/green traffic light on it.

Main assembly
Sub Assy1
Panel assy
Panel
Some parts
Lots of parts
Some more assemblies
Some more parts

Check out this post by @Rob

https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=169
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Dtief190

Nut, my indents on my OP tree went away....

Oh well.. yes, I did talk to my support rep a while back about this. Circular reference is a term I remember from that. No easy way to find / fix.

That's why today I went through deleting everything but the panel from the tree of sub assy's. I didn't save this. I guess I have to do a pack and go to fiddle with this on, I can't loose my working models.

This error has been copied to a few different versions of the project using pack and go. I am going to start another variation today, and wanted to try to get rid of it this time... I figure once I find the source, I should be able to fix all the other versions.

My normal way of building these models - I have some parts that are common to anything, like switches, nuts, screws...
I make a front panel for the project. A box / enclosure. A circuit board.

Make an assy for the circuit board, with any parts that matter.
Make an assy for the panel, that has any press in inserts, silk screening.
Make a sub assy for the panel, with switches, PCB, etc put together as it would be for the assembly people.
Make a final assy where the panel sub assy is mated top the box, with whatever hardware, etc.

This structure lets me make drawings with BOMs for the parts associated with the steps for building each level.
Nothing more exotic than that going on.

All files are the version I'm running 2018 sp5. Just haven't had a big enough down time to risk updating. That whole fiasco with the crappy almost monochrome icon colors [was that 2016?] really put me on the slow to update mode.

I can do a P&G of a stripped down version and upload it. Just to make it smaller, because fewer parts.
Dtief190

Here is a stripped down zip file with the error.
Final Assy CS HD V8 find error.zip
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Most likely circular reference.
mattpeneguy

Dtief190 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:43 pm Here is a stripped down zip file with the error.

I don't get that problem when I open the file in SW 2020. I believe there's a check box somewhere in the Options that may be causing this. @Alin may know where it is.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 21

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:05 pm
Dtief190 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:43 pm Here is a stripped down zip file with the error.

I don't get that problem when I open the file in SW 2020. I believe there's a check box somewhere in the Options that may be causing this. @Alin may know where it is.
I'm not @Alin, but do you mean this one?

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mattpeneguy

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:58 pm
mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:05 pm

I'm not @Alin, but do you mean this one?

image.png
I'm glad you're aware that you're not Alin...
Kidding aside, I just opened up the ASM here at home in 2019 and I get the rebuild mark. I unchecked that box and closed the asm and reopened it and I still get the rebuild mark.
I may do some digging, but that'll depend on the time I've got. But, figured I'd report what I've found so far.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

This is a known issue in SW 2019 and older, the presence of hidden features called CompCurve. They are generated by a bug related to adding mates to circular edges.
The attachment image.png is no longer available
You have several options to fix the problem: BTW, I am Alin. :D

So... no more traffic lights:
Show Hidden Features.swp
(55.4 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
mattpeneguy

Say his name and the master of SW appears!
Thanks @Alin, I played with it last night and did the usual poking and prodding, but couldn't figure it out.

Sorry for my ignorance on this @matt, but is there a way that @Dtief190 can mark Alin's answer as correct? That way when someone stumbles across this in the future, they don't have to stumble through all the noise.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:33 am Say his name and the master of SW appears!
Thanks @Alin, I played with it last night and did the usual poking and prodding, but couldn't figure it out.

Sorry for my ignorance on this @matt, but is there a way that @Dtief190 can mark Alin's answer as correct? That way when someone stumbles across this in the future, they don't have to stumble through all the noise.
I'm working on the "best answer" thing. So far I've tried a couple of things that didn't work. I'll let you know when I get a candidate.
mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

Just one other thing to check if you keep getting rebuild when opening or rebuilding an assembly: check to see if you have any of your parts as "Read only" - if they are, this will cause this issue...
matt

Unread post by matt »

mbiasotti wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm Just one other thing to check if you keep getting rebuild when opening or rebuilding an assembly: check to see if you have any of your parts as "Read only" - if they are, this will cause this issue...
I thought I remember also having a problem with external references and the freeze bar...
Jim Elias

Unread post by Jim Elias »

Alin wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:34 pm This is a known issue in SW 2019 and older, the presence of hidden features called CompCurve. They are generated by a bug related to adding mates to circular edges.
Hi @Alin ,

Just for grins, I ran your macro on one of my assemblies, and I got a whole bunch of these strange things:
HiddenFeatures.jpg
What are those, and are they better off deleted? (or should they never ever be deleted?)

Running 2017 SP5.

Cheers
Jim
mattpeneguy

mbiasotti wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm Just one other thing to check if you keep getting rebuild when opening or rebuilding an assembly: check to see if you have any of your parts as "Read only" - if they are, this will cause this issue...
@mbiasotti,
I'm trying to understand the reasoning here. Does this rebuild mark show if the part is read-only, but you didn't make a change to the part? Because, to me, that's the definition of a bug. If a file in the feature tree hasn't changed or doesn't have a circular reference or something, SW shouldn't flag it, especially a perfectly fine read-only file.

Just to test it, I changed a part to read-only, opened the ASM containing that part, CTRL-Q, no mark. So, just to see what happens, I tried to change something in the part and got an error msg stating I couldn't modify the part because it's read-only. Here's the weird thing, I tried again and I got the error sound, but no prompt and it let me change the material of a body in the read-only part...When I go to save, at least it lets me know the part is read-only, but apparently I can over-ride that by selecting yes here:
image.png
I'll have to think about this functionality a little. At first I thought it's bad, but I can see instances where this could be useful. Regardless or should I say irregardless, (thanks in part to @RickB for his work in getting that word into Merriam-Webster), I was unable to get the flag to show in SW 2019 SP4.
Dtief190

I tried the macro from Alin - Downloaded. Used Tools / Macro / run. Nothing happens or changes. Tried it on the assemblies, and all the way down to the .PRT file. Maybe there is something else I have to do? I never ran a macro before.

It's not a read only file, I have edited these designs multiple times, never got the read only complaint screen.

Would updating to SW2020 make the problem go away by loading and letting SW update to the new version on saving?
Dtief190

I just tried deleting all of the holes in the front panel.PRT... The error stays.

What does comp curves refer to? Computed curves, composite curves? I get hits for both trying to search for info online.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Dtief190 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:43 pm I just tried deleting all of the holes in the front panel.PRT... The error stays.

What does comp curves refer to? Computed curves, composite curves? I get hits for both trying to search for info online.
image.png
image.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 11440 times
Composite curve. Joins multiple end-to-end sketches, 3D sketches, curves, edges
Dtief190

Matt wrote - "Composite curve. Joins multiple end-to-end sketches, 3D sketches, curves, edges"

Oh, ok.. I never saw that icon before. Never intentionally used one. If SW does that hidden, I have no idea.
the part only had round and square holes.

I deleted all of the holes, and the error remains.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Dtief190 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am I tried the macro from Alin - Downloaded. Used Tools / Macro / run. Nothing happens or changes. Tried it on the assemblies, and all the way down to the .PRT file. Maybe there is something else I have to do? I never ran a macro before.

It's not a read only file, I have edited these designs multiple times, never got the read only complaint screen.

Would updating to SW2020 make the problem go away by loading and letting SW update to the new version on saving?
My apologies; looks like I did not provide enough information.

Please watch this short video:

Also, the fixed file set is attached.

This specific problem is not caused by read-only files.

The bug has been documented in SPR 722235 – ‘Sub assembly shows rebuild icon when inserted into top level assembly, no warning or rebuild icon (stop light) is shown when sub assembly is opened in its own window’ which was reported as fixed in SW2020 SP1.0. and reopened under SPR 1156595, which is currently open.

Starting with SW 2020 SP1.0, the CompCurves are still there, but they no longer give you rebuild warnings.

The creation of parasite CompCurves was due to a bug in creating mates. The bug was reported as fixed in SW 2021 SP 2.0.
Attachments
Fixed.zip
(2.09 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Alin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:38 pm The creation of parasite CompCurves was due to a bug in creating mates. The bug was reported as fixed in SW 2021 SP 2.0.
Alin, do you know when the bug was introduced? Might be useful to figure out the number of potentially affected files.
Jason
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:10 pm
Alin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:38 pm The creation of parasite CompCurves was due to a bug in creating mates. The bug was reported as fixed in SW 2021 SP 2.0.
Alin, do you know when the bug was introduced? Might be useful to figure out the number of potentially affected files.
Sorry, no idea. I think it is a very old bug.
mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

@mattpeneguy per the read only remark.

Matt, I have to think about it myself whether it is an annoyance or not. I believe there are some options in system options as well as the save dialog to not save read-only parts - but don't know if they would alleviate the rebuild mark...
Dtief190

At about 0:24 in the video, you click a button that is named reveal hidden features. I don't have this button. I can't find it in any menu.

I tried using tools/macro / run macro/ with the macro file you posted earlier, but nothing happens. I also found that I can edit it, but I am not that good at code writing to know what it's doing.

I need to be able to do this, as I have several designs that have these hidden comp curves causing this problem. They got propagated to a lot of similar designs that are all made from using pack and go to create new versions of similar designs.

Thank you,
Dave
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

Dtief190 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 am At about 0:24 in the video, you click a button that is named reveal hidden features. I don't have this button. I can't find it in any menu.

I tried using tools/macro / run macro/ with the macro file you posted earlier, but nothing happens. I also found that I can edit it, but I am not that good at code writing to know what it's doing.

I need to be able to do this, as I have several designs that have these hidden comp curves causing this problem. They got propagated to a lot of similar designs that are all made from using pack and go to create new versions of similar designs.

Thank you,
Dave
Let’s have a remote session, so we can install the button on your toolbar. PM me your email address.

Also, you will probably want to install CAD+, so you can process all assemblies in all folders automatically. No more manual, repetitive work!
Dtief190

Update- I am part way through working this out with my VAR / tech support. So far, now at the same point I got to here... They sent me a macro, that appears to do nothing. So I am still stuck with the rebuild warnings.
Dtief190

Update - The macro from my VAR does the same thing - just disappears, with no resulting list to show the items. We discovered I am running 2018, and he only has a macro for 2019 and up.

The dates on the macro from Alin are all newer than 2018. Is whatever is different a big thing to change?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Have you tried stepping through the macro and see where it fails?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Dtief190

I just fixed the macro!

I did a web search for 2018 / 2019 differences. found this -
https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/ ... t-running/

So I opened the macro editor. Opened the references window. It showed a handful of missing 2019 libraries. I un checked those, and checked the 2018 ones with the same names, and it worked. Deleted the comp curves that showed rebuild warnings, and the whole thing works now.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Dtief190 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:43 pm I just fixed the macro!

I did a web search for 2018 / 2019 differences. found this -
https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2019/ ... t-running/

So I opened the macro editor. Opened the references window. It showed a handful of missing 2019 libraries. I un checked those, and checked the 2018 ones with the same names, and it worked. Deleted the comp curves that showed rebuild warnings, and the whole thing works now.
Great detective work there, solved your own problem. Javelin's got some great articles (wink wink @Alin )
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

I know posting to old thread is taboo in most cases. But I'm going to risk it because we have the "Rebuild warning that won't go away" problem on a majority of our upper-level assemblies because it starts in a bunch of our lower-level assemblies. When the problem assembly is opened all is good, rebuilds with no errors or warnings. It only shows the rebuild icon from a parent assembly.

We figured out what the problem is, it's configurations. Nothing to do with context refs. Rebuilding all the configs and/or turning on the "Rebuild all configs on save" mark does not help. All configs but one are some kind of corrupt causing the assembly to show the rebuild icon in parent assembly.

The only fix we've found is to delete and recreate all of the configs that cause the rebuild icon. No clue yet what is causing this. For the most part the differences between configs is just which mates are suppressed.
Dtief190

It sounds like a different cause. Mine were the hidden parasite comp curves.

I had some other assemblies that had rebuild errors, that showed up, that were related to configurations and mates, and that stuff. I spent about a week during a slow time cleaning up a couple of projects that had been through a lot of "change this" try that" kind of thing, leaving broken associations or something. Had a couple where a part used in 2 different assy's had the same name. Stuff was confused. But those errors showed up in the assy that they were in also, not like the hidden ones.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Dtief190 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:45 am It sounds like a different cause. Mine were the hidden parasite comp curves.

I had some other assemblies that had rebuild errors, that showed up, that were related to configurations and mates, and that stuff. I spent about a week during a slow time cleaning up a couple of projects that had been through a lot of "change this" try that" kind of thing, leaving broken associations or something. Had a couple where a part used in 2 different assy's had the same name. Stuff was confused. But those errors showed up in the assy that they were in also, not like the hidden ones.
Agreed, different cause. I was about to start a thread about this, but I always try to search topic before starting a new thread to see if it's already been solved. Of course, the topic had several Google hits that were links to SWYMp which aren't worth following. Next was this thread titled by symptom rather than problem. After reading it from start I recalled it as I was following it and worked through the suggestions as we were having this problem at same time. Anyway, I added the post just in case there's someone else out there that might someday follow the same path, and it wasn't due to file refs or comp curves.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:13 pm Agreed, different cause. I was about to start a thread about this, but I always try to search topic before starting a new thread to see if it's already been solved. Of course, the topic had several Google hits that were links to SWYMp which aren't worth following. Next was this thread titled by symptom rather than problem. After reading it from start I recalled it as I was following it and worked through the suggestions as we were having this problem at same time. Anyway, I added the post just in case there's someone else out there that might someday follow the same path, and it wasn't due to file refs or comp curves.
Any chance you used assembly features/sketches/ref. geometry in any of the assemblies?
Did you use virtual parts?
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

berg_lauritz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:22 pm Any chance you used assembly features/sketches/ref. geometry in any of the assemblies?
Did you use virtual parts?
Just went to look at a few examples. There's a bunch floating around in our data set.

No assembly features such as sketches, planes, points, cuts...

some of the problem subassemblies had virtual parts, many do not.

Many of these assemblies have configs to show different positions and are purchased items, as such most of the sldprt files that make them up are imported geometry. I thought that maybe it was mate(s) to a face of an imported geometry in the component file that was causing the problem. Then some other config doesn't cause the problem because that mate is suppressed in the one config. But the mates across all configs use the same faces to imported geometry. Also, when I delete then recreate the config I've started documenting mates in the config I'm about to delete then recreate them exactly. We've had problems with lazy/sloppy work of leaving mates suppressed that are not due to configurations. I had more on that but lead into the weeds so deleted it. It gets into things already discussed such as:
viewtopic.php?p=18931#p18931
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm Just went to look at a few examples. There's a bunch floating around in our data set.

Many of these assemblies have configs to show different positions and are purchased items, as such most of the sldprt files that make them up are imported geometry. I thought that maybe it was mate(s) to a face of an imported geometry in the component file that was causing the problem. Then some other config doesn't cause the problem because that mate is suppressed in the one config. But the mates across all configs use the same faces to imported geometry. Also, when I delete then recreate the config I've started documenting mates in the config I'm about to delete then recreate them exactly. We've had problems with lazy/sloppy work of leaving mates suppressed that are not due to configurations. I had more on that but lead into the weeds so deleted it. It gets into things already discussed such as:
Virtual parts CAN be the problem - especially if you have a virtual assembly with virtual parts in it.

If you ever find the solution for this, I am eager to hear it. We might have some similar problems.
Alin

Unread post by Alin »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:59 pm Just went to look at a few examples. There's a bunch floating around in our data set.

Let me know if you want me to take a look. We can do a quick remote session.
faezeansari

Unread post by faezeansari »

Hi
I had such problem. It was because of "Markup" note that I made in my sub assembly. I deleted that note and the rebuild mark went away.