Saving the position of a flexible sub assy Back to the sub assy its self.

Conklin
Answers: 0

Saving the position of a flexible sub assy Back to the sub assy its self.

Unread post by Conklin »

Saving the position of a flexible sub assy positioned in, say the Main Assembly, Back to the sub assy its self.

See image:
SAVING-CAPTURING A POSITION.jpg
A sub assy of the robot set to be flexible in this assy. I have positioned it in this assy to point exactly where I want the weld. question --> how do I (if I can) save this position back to/in the robot assy? I would like to save many different positions to be able to ultimately do an animation of the robot. in the robot assy not here. I know i can save different configurations here, in this assy, and animate them.

I also know that this is all, probably possible, to make an animation inside a Fanuc or other robot programing software. But I have not got the job yet and just want to put together an animation to get the job. So I can not quite justify the cost of the Robo software.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Re: Saving the position of a flexible sub assy Back to the sub assy its self.

Unread post by Dwight »

Conklin

You can dissolve the subassembly, use "Form New Subassembly" to recreate the subsassembly, then save that on top of the old one. This should preserve the mates in the subassembly and the arrangement in the top level assembly.

To be tidy about it, you can first put the subassembly in a FeatureManager folder, so that all the components will be in the folder after you dissolve it.

Dwight
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

add a mate to the subassembly by editing it while in flexible mode to secure it in position, then toggle back to rigid mode
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

Dwight wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:53 pm You can dissolve the subassembly, use "Form New Subassembly" to recreate the subsassembly, then save that on top of the old one. This should preserve the mates in the subassembly and the arrangement in the top level assembly.

To be tidy about it, you can first put the subassembly in a FeatureManager folder, so that all the components will be in the folder after you dissolve it.
Perhaps good for one of the twenty positions. but would not each new save over right the last?
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

DanPihlaja wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:03 pm add a mate to the subassembly by editing it while in flexible mode to secure it in position, then toggle back to rigid mode
This is a good idea I will try it.. But first I think I will need to create 20 configurations in the robot assy and then sequentially make each active and then move to, flex the robot to, proper position and then edit robot assy in place and add a mate or mates to lock it and then save for each config position?
(This would put the configs in the robot assy)

On second thought it may be easier to make a copy of the main assy then add in this copy of the main assy the 20 configurations (positions for the robot) move the robot & save for each config. Then save one last time and then blow away any extraneous sub assys that I do not need or want to show... leaving me with a "clean" assy to do the animation from. (This would put the configs in a copy of the main assy that I can rename the robot assy) Might work .... Just thinking it thru... Thanks for getting my brain going in the right direction.