SolidWorks Quick Tip - Re-attach dimensions

Jim Steinmeyer
Answers: 0

Re: SolidWorks Quick Tip - Re-attach dimensions

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

Toby,
Thank you for this video it should be helpful. In drawings where I have created the dimensions rather than importing them I have never been able to reattach a dimension that has lost BOTH connections. If it has one red box I can move and reattach one, but with two it has never worked. Is this possible or do I keep deleteing and recreating?

Thank you
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:49 am Toby,
Thank you for this video it should be helpful. In drawings where I have created the dimensions rather than importing them I have never been able to reattach a dimension that has lost BOTH connections. If it has one red box I can move and reattach one, but with two it has never worked. Is this possible or do I keep deleteing and recreating?

Thank you
Sometimes it seems like it doesn't work, but you have to keep going. See my reply in this thread
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Does this only work for Model Items or Imported annotations?

edit: And thank you for the post Too Tall Toby, I enjoy your vids.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:56 pm Does this only work for Model Items or Imported annotations?
It works on reference dimensions added to the drawing....but only if the radius is the same. Linear and ordinate dimensions you can move around pretty easy. It's when they go "dangling" that is becomes a problem. Lose one side and you can usually reattach it.....lose both sides and its usually lost.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:41 pm It works on reference dimensions added to the drawing....but only if the radius is the same. Linear and ordinate dimensions you can move around pretty easy. It's when they go "dangling" that is becomes a problem. Lose one side and you can usually reattach it.....lose both sides and its usually lost.
How to move Linear dims? In Edge the trick is hold Alt key then click and drag and can reattach to just about anything, whether it was dangling or not didn't matter. Well, I guess it did, if it was dangling the Alt key was optional. I haven't found the trick in SW yet.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

The trick for me is try once. If it doesn't reattach properly, delete and recreate.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:00 pm The trick for me is try once. If it doesn't reattach properly, delete and recreate.
I the Alt+ click & drag is to move attached leaders for dims, annotations, balloons, etc.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:47 pm How to move Linear dims? In Edge the trick is hold Alt key then click and drag and can reattach to just about anything, whether it was dangling or not didn't matter. Well, I guess it did, if it was dangling the Alt key was optional. I haven't found the trick in SW yet.
Select dimension, then single left click the point, you don't have to hold and drag although you can.
Attachments
2022-06-09_16-46-17.gif
Jason