Drawing Dimensions not right

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Drawing Dimensions not right

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

As the older members know, I had a number of blog posts answering frequently asked questions on the old forum. Unfortunately they didn't get transferred over to the new so-called platform that the official SW forum is now currently on, so I'm slowly re-creating them here. However, here's one that wasn't there, but it does attempt to answer a question I've seen a number of different times.

If your dimensions on the drawing don't match the model there's a good chance you need to change a setting under Dimension Type in the drawing view's property manager (see the screenshot below). If the drawing view is isometric you probably need to have "True" selected. If it's a flat view (such as the one I just had that was referencing a custom view, "normal to plate", that isn't parallel to either of the standard views), it probably defaulted to "True" and you need to select "Projected" instead.

If you've already applied dimensions (like I had) they'll be deleted. You will need to add them back in. No, there's not a way around it.

To reiterate, this is in the drawing view's property manager, not in the Smart Dimension's property manager.

If that doesn't fix the problem, try a Ctrl+Q rebuild. If that still doesn't fix it, check to make sure the drawing view is referencing the same model, and the same configuration of that model, that you think it is.

If it's still wrong, Pack and Go the Drawing to a zip file and post it at https://www.cadforum.net/viewforum.php?f=40 as a new question. I'm sure someone will be able to help.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Drawing Dimensions not right

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Keep up the good work Glenn