Mirroring Issue in Solidworks 2022

Bradfordzzz
Answers: 0

Mirroring Issue in Solidworks 2022

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

For those of you that might not know ... There is a bug in Solidworks 2022 that affects the mirroring of some details.
Not everything is affected .. but here is a little work around that might help you out until a bug fix is released.

Here is the work flow.

1. Select the items you want to mirror, and form new subassembly with those items
2. Mirror that subassembly , and select the “create opposite hand version” as normal
3. You will see now that the mirror works.
4. Now dissolve the mirror
5. click on the “configurations” tab. Next, right click on the active configuration and select “properties.” Finally, scroll down to the section marked “Child component display when used as subassembly” and click “promote.”
6. Having it promoted will have the assembly not show in your BOM, but the parts inside it will.

credits go to Mitch(our designer) for finding the subassembly solution
and to @AlexLachance for suggesting to promote the subassembly so that the BOM structure would be maintained.
also .. to many others in this thread https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=19473#p19473 that helped with testing and many other suggestions.

Hope it helps! :D
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Mirroring Issue in Solidworks 2022

Unread post by bnemec »

I've tried to follow this in the "Who likes SW2022" thread but there's a lot of material in that thread. Is there a concise explanation of the bug behavior or what workflow(s) it affects? The work around sounds like the bug is just when mirroring parts in an assembly? Is mirroring body in part also affected?

Sorry for the dumb question if this is already obvious somewhere else.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:10 pm I've tried to follow this in the "Who likes SW2022" thread but there's a lot of material in that thread. Is there a concise explanation of the bug behavior or what workflow(s) it affects? The work around sounds like the bug is just when mirroring parts in an assembly? Is mirroring body in part also affected?

It only affects it when using the option to "Create opposite hand version" We don't allow that option so it wouldn't be a problem.
image.png
Jason
Bradfordzzz

bnemec wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:10 pm I've tried to follow this in the "Who likes SW2022" thread but there's a lot of material in that thread. Is there a concise explanation of the bug behavior or what workflow(s) it affects? The work around sounds like the bug is just when mirroring parts in an assembly? Is mirroring body in part also affected?

Not a dumb question at all.

This error only happens in a assembly, and only when creating and opposite hand version.

all of the other mirroring options seems to be working as intended.
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

This error only happens in a assembly, and only when creating and opposite hand version.
Or in other words, everything works fine except for when one truly wants a mirror.
o[ <()>
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:29 am Not a dumb question at all.

all of the other mirroring options seems to be working as intended.
Thank you and @jcapriotti for the clarity. We were looking at maybe updating from '19 to '22 and this issue was concerning as mirror body is our #1 tool for a part that is symmetric. We never use the assembly mirror functionality in the assembly environment; when we need right and left hand parts we use Insert Mirror Part.

Sounds like this is a mute point for our usage
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am Thank you and @jcapriotti for the clarity. We were looking at maybe updating from '19 to '22 and this issue was concerning as mirror body is our #1 tool for a part that is symmetric. We never use the assembly mirror functionality in the assembly environment; when we need right and left hand parts we use Insert Mirror Part.

Sounds like this is a mute point for our usage
I would use the "Create opposite hand" in an assembly mirror, but it creates a reference to the assembly I don't want.
Jason
Bradfordzzz

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:37 am I would use the "Create opposite hand" in an assembly mirror, but it creates a reference to the assembly I don't want.
Wouldn't this option take care of that reference issue for you?
image.png
jcapriotti

Bradfordzzz wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:44 am Wouldn't this option take care of that reference issue for you?

image.png
I want to maintain a link between a left hand part and right hand part.....I just don't want any assembly involved.
Jason
Bradfordzzz

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:41 pm I want to maintain a link between a left hand part and right hand part.....I just don't want any assembly involved.
I see. Thanks.
Bradfordzzz

Have just been told from my VAR that this wont be fixed until 2023 B1! grumph

how can that be serious? WTF. o[

So .. did the automobile manufacturing companies decide to only make 1 sided cars?

Unbelievable. <()>
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:58 am Have just been told from my VAR that this wont be fixed until 2023 B1! grumph

So .. did the automobile manufacturing companies decide to only make 1 sided cars?

Unbelievable. <()>
You could suggest your VAR to postpone the subscription fee until 2023 B1 as well? ;;
Bradfordzzz

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:13 am You could suggest your VAR to postpone the subscription fee until 2023 B1 as well? ;;
no joke ... i sent that to my VAR

"So .. since we wont have a working software until 2023 … does that mean we don’t have to pay for the yearly subscription fee until then also?
I mean .. the whole point in the yearly fees to get all of the latest updates … but if the updates don’t actually work .. I wont be charged for them right?"
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:18 am no joke ... i sent that to my VAR

"So .. since we wont have a working software until 2023 … does that mean we don’t have to pay for the yearly subscription fee until then also?
I mean .. the whole point in the yearly fees to get all of the latest updates … but if the updates don’t actually work .. I wont be charged for them right?"
And the VAR answered? Something like:
- Subscription fee is not only for us, we have to share with Dassault?
- Most of the features are working?
- We try to escalate this bug to get a quick fix.
- Don't forget to schedule your next payment ;;
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:58 am Have just been told from my VAR that this wont be fixed until 2023 B1! grumph

Unbelievable. <()>
Well... Many car companies do not use CATIA anymore... (namely Mercedes AND Kia/Hyundai switched! But ALSO Volvo did not choose D'assault...).

see here
Bradfordzzz

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:23 am And the VAR answered? Something like:
- Subscription fee is not only for us, we have to share with Dassault?
- Most of the features are working?
- We try to escalate this bug to get a quick fix.
- Don't forget to schedule your next payment ;;
actually .. no response yet
jcapriotti

Unbelievable. <()>
I see "2023 B1" listed in the Knowledge base for your SPR but its possible its fixed in 2022. The "Fixed in: field only shows one version but I've had some in the past shown fixed in a future version but it was also fixed in a future service pack of the current version.

How many seats of SolidWorks do you have? Maybe push for a hotfix if you can get some management muscle to back you up.

image.png
Jason
Bradfordzzz

jcapriotti wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am I see "2023 B1" listed in the Knowledge base for your SPR but its possible its fixed in 2022. The "Fixed in: field only shows one version but I've had some in the past shown fixed in a future version but it was also fixed in a future service pack of the current version.

How many seats of SolidWorks do you have? Maybe push for a hotfix if you can get some management muscle to back you up.

image.png
I hope you are right ... but its definitely not fixed in 2022 SP2. And I/We have been pushing for a hotfix for well over a month now.
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

ooh... I had that happen as well in the past, getting notified that an issue I was facing was going to be fixed in some version in the future. Seeing however that it's a Beta version it doens't necessarily mean that the fix will actual work in the released versions.

And, in the of chance that it does get fixed in the SP0... nothing to say that by SP1 it's not broken again.
No that is not me being unduly cynical but talking from experience.

There's an issue in routing that I spend years on getting someone to listen... it then took a few years for them to see that the error wasn't user inflicted but due to software... it then took +1 year for them to finally figure out what caused it, several SP's past by without it being fixed, and since that time it's been a crap shoot if the issue is fixed or not depending on year and SP. And yes at the moment (2021SP5) it's broken AGAIN.

Seeing however that it's a sub function that barely anyone uses (because it's been broken on and off now for more then a decade) in a module that is only used by a very small sub set of users and most of those have pretty much given up on using anything more then the bare bare minimum of functions... who cares, eh? It's not as if those user have to pay a premium to have to deal with the lack of quality control.... oh wait, yes seeing that one can only experience that demonstration of utterly lack of consistency when one has bought Solidworks Premium (which roughly sells for double the price of a basic seat)

Heck, if I ever would go to the yearly event I wouldn't be applauding but asking anyone in management including Gian Paolo Bassi to stop with their vomit inducing marketing speak and instead tell what they actually do to earn their overpaid cushy jobs because it sure isn't making a better product.
(sorry, had to rant, just fed up with all kinds of functionalities that aren't working as advertised, if it wasn't that there is no viable alternative I would advice my boss to drop Solidworks like a hot rotten potato.)
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Peter De Vlieger wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:30 am ooh... I had that happen as well in the past, getting notified that an issue I was facing was going to be fixed in some version in the future. Seeing however that it's a Beta version it doens't necessarily mean that the fix will actual work in the released versions.

And, in the of chance that it does get fixed in the SP0... nothing to say that by SP1 it's not broken again.
No that is not me being unduly cynical but talking from experience.

There's an issue in routing that I spend years on getting someone to listen... it then took a few years for them to see that the error wasn't user inflicted but due to software... it then took +1 year for them to finally figure out what caused it, several SP's past by without it being fixed, and since that time it's been a crap shoot if the issue is fixed or not depending on year and SP. And yes at the moment (2021SP5) it's broken AGAIN.

Seeing however that it's a sub function that barely anyone uses (because it's been broken on and off now for more then a decade) in a module that is only used by a very small sub set of users and most of those have pretty much given up on using anything more then the bare bare minimum of functions... who cares, eh? It's not as if those user have to pay a premium to have to deal with the lack of quality control.... oh wait, yes seeing that one can only experience that demonstration of utterly lack of consistency when one has bought Solidworks Premium (which roughly sells for double the price of a basic seat)

Heck, if I ever would go to the yearly event I wouldn't be applauding but asking anyone in management including Gian Paolo Bassi to stop with their vomit inducing marketing speak and instead tell what they actually do to earn their overpaid cushy jobs because it sure isn't making a better product.
(sorry, had to rant, just fed up with all kinds of functionalities that aren't working as advertised, if it wasn't that there is no viable alternative I would advice my boss to drop Solidworks like a hot rotten potato.)
And there we have the true DSS Experience.
Bradfordzzz

Update:

Just heard from our VAR. Mirroring issue will not be resolved until 4th quarter of this year. o[ o[

in the mean time, i guess its 1 handed vehicles to be sold until the end of the year. <()>
jcapriotti

Bradfordzzz wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm Update:

Just heard from our VAR. Mirroring issue will not be resolved until 4th quarter of this year. o[ o[

in the mean time, i guess its 1 handed vehicles to be sold until the end of the year. <()>
They must've really coded themselves into a corner.
Jason
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:57 pm They must've really coded themselves into a corner.
They indeed have. Rather then developping around whatever base of the software they created(SolidWorks), they are creating, or buying, complements(Features or add-ons) independantly from the software and then integrating these complements into the software with temporary connexions, that are dependant of the programmation of the software.

And then, they take the software, and create new stuff into it, and make it dependant of the programmation of the complement. So the Software being dependant of the complement, and the complements being dependant of the software, that is what we could call a good ol' circular reference. Now think how exponentially their problem is, when you concider how much stuff they add to it every year because of the marketing push.

Why do you think they constantly re-break things over and over again without even noticing.
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Bradfordzzz wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm Mirroring issue will not be resolved until 4th quarter of this year. o[ o[
I wonder what will be broken then. In my experience with SW, correcting something means breaking something else.
To me, it's a new type of marketing. If they don't resolve mirroring bug, we have to extend our subscription.
Who can use a cad system that's not able to mirror?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Now take that same mess, without any fixes, and try and port it to a web based interface, and integrate it with all of your other half broken apps.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

Tera wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:44 am I wonder what will be broken then. In my experience with SW, correcting something means breaking something else.
To me, it's a new type of marketing. If they don't resolve mirroring bug, we have to extend our subscription.
Who can use a cad system that's not able to mirror?
Honestly, talk with your VAR's. They will certainly try to help as best as they can, and the argument you just made of being dependant of next year could be one you could use to either get some sort of "rebate" or maybe even have a free year added to your current subscription(Wouldn't that be awesome).
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

AlexLachance wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:58 am Honestly, talk with your VAR's. They will certainly try to help as best as they can, and the argument you just made of being dependant of next year could be one you could use to either get some sort of "rebate" or maybe even have a free year added to your current subscription(Wouldn't that be awesome).
We will. For now, we have to wait to see if they have a solution for it during current subscription period.
Thanks for the advice though. I'll pass it to our admin.
Bradfordzzz

Solidworks 2022 SP3 has been released, and you will all not be surprised to learn that the mirroring is just as broken as it has been.

hhhh
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:58 am Honestly, talk with your VAR's. They will certainly try to help as best as they can, and the argument you just made of being dependant of next year could be one you could use to either get some sort of "rebate" or maybe even have a free year added to your current subscription(Wouldn't that be awesome).
Attachments
giphy-downsized-large.gif
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

Bradfordzzz wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:54 am Solidworks 2022 SP3 has been released, and you will all not be surprised to learn that the mirroring is just as broken as it has been.

hhhh
I would pressure them for a fix in 2022.....get your management involved and ask to speak directly with SolidWorks. If its costing you money, spell it out for them. Frustrating I know, but if your are loud enough, it can be done.
Jason
AlexLachance

zxys001 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:50 am
I didn't quite get that Paul, care to explain? :lol:
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:50 am I didn't quite get that Paul, care to explain? :lol:
Attachments
8f79dc81-0858-4f4e-a645-c9101f62acd6_text.gif
8f79dc81-0858-4f4e-a645-c9101f62acd6_text.gif (625.4 KiB) Viewed 8820 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Bradfordzzz

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:49 pm I would pressure them for a fix in 2022.....get your management involved and ask to speak directly with SolidWorks. If its costing you money, spell it out for them. Frustrating I know, but if your are loud enough, it can be done.
We are definitely pushing for that. Its not right.