Note texts in drawings

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Note texts in drawings

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

do you insert them as text or better as a block?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two options?
What I have already noticed as a disadvantage of the block is that I can only put the complete block with the hint line on a layer when inserting it.

Which method do you use and why?
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Note texts in drawings

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

In 13 years of using SW the only time I've used a block was when I had a sketch circle filled with hatching that I needed to use multiple times on a single drawing.

I have Styles saved for frequently used notes.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:30 am In 13 years of using SW the only time I've used a block was when I had a sketch circle filled with hatching that I needed to use multiple times on a single drawing.

I have Styles saved for frequently used notes.
Yes, almost no blocks, just our logo.

I prefer saving notes in the design library, rather than using styles. Unfortunately I forget why. We tried both and just saving in the library worked better.

Dwight
Glenn Schroeder

Dwight wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:34 am Yes, almost no blocks, just our logo.

I prefer saving notes in the design library, rather than using styles. Unfortunately I forget why. We tried both and just saving in the library worked better.

Dwight
I tried the design library first, but was getting an error message when trying to insert the same note multiple times in the same document. Styles work very well for me, since I can have a different set for each drawing template.

Also, I have a few notes that I need occasionally, but not often enough to want to clutter up the Style drop-down, so I have them saved in a Drawing that's pinned at the top of my recent documents. When I need one of those notes I open the drawing, copy the note, and paste it in the drawing I'm working in.

image.png
image.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 846 times
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:47 pm I tried the design library first, but was getting an error message when trying to insert the same note multiple times in the same document. Styles work very well for me, since I can have a different set for each drawing template.
I use Design Library for notes. I remember the multiple same note problem. Don't remember if there is a solution.
I think maybe it's how the note is created .....
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:57 pm I use Design Library for notes. I remember the multiple same note problem. Don't remember if there is a solution.
I think maybe it's how the note is created .....
You may very well be right. Styles have worked well for me so I've never bothered to investigate.

Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Both.

I have Annotations in my library which parametrically call out a weldment profile and its cut length, which I drag out from the library, attach it once, then copy it to paste it upon other selected body edges in a drawing view. Any annotation which I took the time to make a parametric callout is saved into library if I'll have need for it again, generally.

I have Drawing Notes (section, I'll call it here although it's inaccurately called a "note block") defaults in my library to cover various materials and connection types, each with similar paragraph structure to include reference documents, weights, structural, and paint coatings. These are dragged in from library, then edited per each customer's feedback or variations from defaults.

I have blocks in the library, but these are mostly symbols: North Arrows, Center of Gravity, attributed customer connections.
The only useful exception here is a Connection List Template Block that contains a header, customer connection blocks, and text to name and describe them. When I insert it, I will immediately explode it, and use its vertical interval to copy entities downward to cover the quantity of connections present in this drawing, then edit each text line. It's basically a table framework without a table.
TTevolve

Unread post by TTevolve »

I use the Design library for my notes that I use often, or if I want something to have a specific style as one of the ones I have. Only problem I ran into is you have to move them each release (or add the file location each time you upgrade).

if you drag and drop them onto a dwg. you can add multiple. The best part is that you can have parametric references to the views you put them on.
Attachments
Notes.PNG
Hansjoerg

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

thanks to all for sharing your experiences.
I will stick to the text´s that are stored in the library.
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

We use both instances.

Blocks are for pre-made/standard notes which we want to have the least variation possible, wether in be in the formulation of the sentence or precision of the note.

Notes are for general notes which wouldn't have any impacts wether they had typos in them or not and notes which are parametric dependant(easier to attach if I recall)