Sheet Metal, Corner Relief in mirror body ok in formed, missing in Flat-Pattern

bnemec
Answers: 10

Sheet Metal, Corner Relief in mirror body ok in formed, missing in Flat-Pattern

Unread post by bnemec »

I'm making a bracket and since it's symmetrical I'm doing the trusty mirror body at the end. Model seems fine and drawing was fine until I added a flat view and noticed one corner didn't have the relief. After poking around I can see it's only the flat view that doesn't have it.
image.png

We're on 2019SP4, and I'm wondering if it's my first time running into a common behavior that many are used to and work around or maybe it's been fixed on newer release? Or maybe it's just my modeling. The work around is simple enough I thought, I'll just move the corner relief feature below the mirror body feature and select both corners. Interesting that after moving the relief feature below the mirror but before editing to include the other corner, that corner on the mirrored side was different. So it's not that the flat pattern missed the relief feature on the mirrored side, it changed it.
image.png

Turns out I cannot select the corner on the mirrored side, the relief feature fails.
Edit: forgot to paste this image:
image.png

This is really undermining my trust in mirror body being a solid method. Workaround that I find is the standby, decades old method of flatten, cut a circle in the corner re-bend. Someone failed to apply the KISS principle as they built the Corner Relief feature.

I'll attach the model, maybe this doesn't happen in newer versions. Or maybe it's in the way I edited the flange profile or messed something else up. I don't know.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
1042960.SLDPRT
(385.1 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Sheet Metal, Corner Relief in mirror body ok in formed, missing in Flat-Pattern

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Rather then do a symetry of the flange, why not add the edge to the existing "Edge flange" feature so that both edges create flanges and have your existing extruded cuts go through both, if necessary..? This way, you'd avoid the creation of an extra feature, and fix your bug, all while having what you desire.

Edit: Nevermind, I had misunderstood the workflow.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Sheet Metal, Corner Relief in mirror body ok in formed, missing in Flat-Pattern

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Sheetmetal is sheetly.
I won't mirror flange, bend and corner treatment.
AlexLachance

Possible work-around:

Unfold your plate before the mirror and fold it back after.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:03 pm Sheetmetal is sheetly.
I won't mirror flange, bend and corner treatment.
Are you saying you won't mirror those types of features or won't mirror a body that is made from any of those features?

I'm used to abnormal (albeit expected) behavior when mirroring features, but this is the first I can think of were mirror body produced glitchy output.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:08 pm Possible work-around:

Unfold your plate before the mirror and fold it back after.
Just tried your suggestion, same as before. The formed model is good, the flat pattern has one corner relief different than the other.

The work around I used was similar though; unfold, cut hole at corner, refold then mirror. The model and flat are both as expected with that workflow. Something between the Corner Relief feature, mirror body and Flat-Pattern cause the problem.
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

Hi, i had the same Issue some Weeks ago in SWX 2020-SP5, now I am on 2021 SP 5.1 but i did not test in this Version. :evil:
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Hansjoerg wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:20 pm Hi, i had the same Issue some Weeks ago in SWX 2020-SP5, now I am on 2021 SP 5.1 but i did not test in this Version. :evil:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to recreate the behavior in another file but have not done it yet. ()
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I do not use the mirror feature in sheet metal, the reason is that it gives errors very often, restricts freedoms, and sheet metal features cannot be used on the mirrored part. sw2020sp03
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:03 pm I do not use the mirror feature in sheet metal, the reason is that it gives errors very often, restricts freedoms, and sheet metal features cannot be used on the mirrored part. sw2020sp03
I too avoid mirroring features in general, only a couple cases I ran into that I used it. Mirror body has been my go-to for parts with symmetry.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I think they've made improvements in this area, but mirror body isn't without issues. It doesn't (or didn't) recognize mirrored holes as holes, so callouts in drawings weren't correct.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:14 pm Just tried your suggestion, same as before. The formed model is good, the flat pattern has one corner relief different than the other.

The work around I used was similar though; unfold, cut hole at corner, refold then mirror. The model and flat are both as expected with that workflow. Something between the Corner Relief feature, mirror body and Flat-Pattern cause the problem.
Perhaps mirrorring body and then merging them would have worked, though I do not know if SolidWorks would know that they are still sheet metal.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I suppressed the corner relief and made another to see if something in that feature instance was corrupt. Found out that the "Centered on bend lines" setting had an affect. If I check that box then everything is as expected. Also, increasing the size much bigger clears up the problem as well. Changing to obround works well with default values. I should have done this test first. I was thrown off when the formed model made good geometry, but the flattened would not.
Attachments
image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Unchecking "Simplify Bends" in the flat pattern feature fixed it for me.....in 2022.
image.png
image.png
Jason
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 pm Unchecking "Simplify Bends" in the flat pattern feature fixed it for me.....in 2022.

image.png

image.png
this worked for me (2020 sp03)
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@bnemec I would submit this as bug. While unchecking "Simplify Bends" fixes it as a workaround, the problem also goes away if you change the edge flange to 90°. The Simplify Bends option should be ignoring the Corner Relief but is failing to in the mirrored bend geometry.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 pm Unchecking "Simplify Bends" in the flat pattern feature fixed it for me.....in 2022.

image.png

image.png
This is good. Works in 2019 as well.