Solidworks is Busy running a command - WTH !!

nevillew
Answers: 0

Solidworks is Busy running a command - WTH !!

Unread post by nevillew »

Currently... I'm wasting my life waiting for this dialog to go away.
I'm sure it's one of many issues that have not been resolved in SNOTWORKS. I'm on 2020 SP5

Mostly seems to be random but what I'm working on currently has an imported base sketch from Acad with a lot of lines, circles etc. These entites have no relations attached to them. Sketch is just imported as is. Autosolve is off because of high sketch entity count.
I'm using this sketch to attach alot of simple 3D equipment shapes to, for a very basic layout in a large long building (a steel rolling mill ~350 metres long)
Wondering if it's because of bounds of base sketch being so large.
Any magic solutions??
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Solidworks is Busy running a command - WTH !!

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

The model size has very little, if any, effect on performance. The sketch complexity is probably to blame for your issues.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

nevillew wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:27 am Currently... I'm wasting my life waiting for this dialog to go away.
I'm sure it's one of many issues that have not been resolved in SNOTWORKS. I'm on 2020 SP5

Mostly seems to be random but what I'm working on currently has an imported base sketch from Acad with a lot of lines, circles etc. These entites have no relations attached to them. Sketch is just imported as is. Autosolve is off because of high sketch entity count.
I'm using this sketch to attach alot of simple 3D equipment shapes to, for a very basic layout in a large long building (a steel rolling mill ~350 metres long)
Wondering if it's because of bounds of base sketch being so large.
Any magic solutions??

Hey Neville! Long time!

This is generally a stupid bug in SolidWorks. In order to resolve it, switch from the problematic assembly displaying that message to a part file within that assembly, drag the bar from the bottom up and back down to it's original location and then go back to your assembly. The problem should be solved.

Incredibly stupid and annoying, I know.
nevillew

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:31 am Hey Neville! Long time!

This is generally a stupid bug in SolidWorks. In order to resolve it, switch from the problematic assembly displaying that message to a part file within that assembly, drag the bar from the bottom up and back down to it's original location and then go back to your assembly. The problem should be solved.

Incredibly stupid and annoying, I know.
Hi Alex,
So far so good. Thanks for the tip.
It's gone 30mins without a big pause.
Should I keep performing the roll up every once and awhile or should it work Ok until next opened up?

Yes has been a while. I kind of gave up on DS after it's big switcheroo to the horrible mess they call a forum now.
Joined this forum a while back, but not shouted out until now.....
Not going past 2020 SP5 ...tho there are plenty of bugs to shout about grumph UU
nevillew

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:20 am The model size has very little, if any, effect on performance. The sketch complexity is probably to blame for your issues.
Hi Glen,
I'm having this happen on relatively simple weldments/models from time to time as well. I'm wondering if it's worth doing a repair on SW
Tho you are right - there is alot of complexity/geometry in base sketch.
Below is about 50 Metres (1/8th length of building) & its alot worse further along <()>
2022-08-11_18-57-54.png
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Have you tried the Assembly Performance Evaluation tool?
https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... 20required.

Where are your files stored? We used to use an online service and it got to be so slow I had to find another solution. It wasn't as much about the size of the files as it was the number of files in the assembly.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

nevillew wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:53 am Hi Alex,
So far so good. Thanks for the tip.
It's gone 30mins without a big pause.
Should I keep performing the roll up every once and awhile or should it work Ok until next opened up?

Yes has been a while. I kind of gave up on DS after it's big switcheroo to the horrible mess they call a forum now.
Joined this forum a while back, but not shouted out until now.....
Not going past 2020 SP5 ...tho there are plenty of bugs to shout about grumph UU
You only need to do it when the message shows up. That message shows up when the bar's been rolled up and not back down, but for some reason it shows even when it's not the case sometimes.

When it shows up out of nowhere, I do that and it fixes it pretty much all the time.
nevillew

SPerman wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:39 am Have you tried the Assembly Performance Evaluation tool?
https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... 20required.

Where are your files stored? We used to use an online service and it got to be so slow I had to find another solution. It wasn't as much about the size of the files as it was the number of files in the assembly.
Files are local.
I would be told off if I was using DropBox or other cloud sites.! :?
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

be glad it's not these...
image.png
image.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
image.png
nevillew

bnemec wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm be glad it's not these...
image.png
Oh I get those as well grumph
- sometimes after I open a model and have done nothing, just zoomed/orbited around then ..... !!crash !!
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

nevillew wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm Oh I get those as well grumph
- sometimes after I open a model and have done nothing, just zoomed/orbited around then ..... !!crash !!
That case is probably due to either a non-certified template or old drivers...