Where to “ROLL” a view and why is it different?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Conklin
Answers: 0

Where to “ROLL” a view and why is it different?

Unread post by Conklin »

SOLIDWORKS roll view 01.jpg

Starting in the assembly (..sldasm) and looking straight on to the front view and doing "this" (above in yellow) to roll the view 180 deg, everything looks good, you zoom in and show hidden lines and all and all looks good, it rolled the view 180 deg just fine. So I save that view as a saved view in the assembly (call it "180degrotate") I make a drawing and drop in that "180degrotate" view and think all is OK BUT it is not! the view turns out to be OFF by:

360.00 - 359.96005626 = .03994380 degrees!! in the drawing
SOLIDWORKS roll view 02.jpg
SOLIDWORKS roll view 02.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

On the other hand dropping the assembly view looking straight on to the front plane into the drawing and THEN rolling the view in the drawing 180 deg makes the rotated view perfect!! in the drawing. Now why is that????
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Where to “ROLL” a view and why is it different?

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Typical SW. Just good enough LOL Nobody can see the different.

There are other ways to do it exactly, I think.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

My guess is that, for each click of the arrow key, there is a XYZ possible deviation that is associated with it. In other words, each click of the arrow keys is a separate rotation, complete with its own potential deviation It might be extremely small. but it is still there. These add up.
If you have a bigger number here, it would lessen the number arrow key clicks.
image.png
However, when you specify the degrees in the rolled view at the drawing level, then there is only 1 rotation.

Personally, I prefer the "relative to model" approach for inserting drawing views.
https://help.solidworks.com/2018/englis ... l_view.htm
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

Well I was drawing a cylinder
Actually some modifications to a standard 55-gallon drum
and in the drawing, I was trying to dim to a hole I wanted to put in the drum from the top
But the top was not an edge it was a very shallow ellipse as it turned out and I had trouble
snaping to the edge. That's how I figured there was something amiss.
So I fudged it and let it go for a few thousands of an inch was not a problem in this situation
But in a precision case it would mess me up.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:56 pm Personally, I prefer the "relative to model" approach for inserting drawing views.
https://help.solidworks.com/2018/englis ... l_view.htm
. . . or click on a face, hold down Ctrl, click on another face, then go to "Normal to". That will orient the model with the first face at front and the second at top. Save that view and reference it in the Drawing.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

Glenn,
Good idea, and I tried that on a test model/drawing
But until I added the Flat it did not go upside down.
SOLIDWORKS roll view 03.jpg
I even tried to pick the plane and the bottom
thinking that would flip it, but alas NO.
Trouble was I did not have a flat on my Drum.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Rotate the drawing view, not the assembly.
image.png
Same front view rotated 45 and 90, but you can pick any angle.
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

On the other hand dropping the assembly view looking straight on to the front plane into the drawing and THEN rolling the view in the drawing 180 deg makes the rotated view perfect!! i
Yea thats what I figured out
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

As other mentioned, it will be easiest to just rotate the drawing view...

As Dan mentioned, it most probably because the deviation of multiple rotation. AFAIK, SOLIDWORKS is using radian for view rotation instead of degree, so there is some unit conversion going in the background during view rotation.

Or maybe you might wan to try using macro?
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2191
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

TTevolve wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:18 am Rotate the drawing view, not the assembly.
image.png

Same front view rotated 45 and 90, but you can pick any angle.
Please don't do that. Rotated drawing views cause all sorts of weird behavior and it isn't obvious to anyone coming along after you that the view has been rotated.
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

Or maybe you might want to try using macro?
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2191
Yes, I used/tested your macro
Rotated a view in the assy with it
once 4 x 45 deg to equal 180
& Once 1 x 180 to equal 180
saved both as separate 180 deg rotated views
put them in a drawing
& both were perfect 180 deg rotations in the drawing
The view I dropped in, having rotated it in the assy with the ALT-Arrow keys
was off by the very small amount in the drawing that I first found it to be off.
so somewhere in your macro you must NOT be rounding off that rotating degree/radian increment!
It is sad to believe that the Solidworks programmers cannot do the same. :( :(
TTevolve

Unread post by TTevolve »

JSculley wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am Please don't do that. Rotated drawing views cause all sorts of weird behavior and it isn't obvious to anyone coming along after you that the view has been rotated.
Yea, I wouldn't recommend doing it either unless you have to. Only time I really have had to do it is with sheet metal flat patterns to get the view to show they way we have to make it.
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

Well… when you start a job it is just a quote so you grab any model that you can use, to quickly present the concept to the customer. My case it was a very well modeled 55 gallon drum on/from the GrabCad site, of course it was modeled with the open top UP. I left it that way for I was going to use one drum that way and another “UPSIDE DOWN” After modifying the “UPSIDE DOWN” one to make it work in the concept, I get the job, now when I want to detail, it its upside down! To avoid any confusion as to how it is going to be used in the actual assembly, I want to detail it as it is to be used, upside down. Thus the need to “FLIP” it. It is WAY too much trouble to go back and properly FLIP things the way they should be (to be right) for this one of a kind bespoke piece of equipment.
Solidworks has allowed us to so quickly pull together concepts to win the quote… That, we must, to make money on the job, follow thru and use any shortcuts necessary. Other wise we LOSE the job to the other bidder. That’s the way it is. Trouble is Technology has made us SO much more productive, BUT our pay scale has NOT reflected that increase. (That’s another story)
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

JSculley wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am Please don't do that. Rotated drawing views cause all sorts of weird behavior and it isn't obvious to anyone coming along after you that the view has been rotated.
Well, if you follow ISO standards, there has to be information on drawings that exclude any doubts, the label shows everybody the view has rotated by an angle in a direction as indicated. :D
image.png
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:23 am Well, if you follow ISO standards . . .
Same for ASME Y14.3.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-11 052551.png