How to multiply extruded feature?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
steambc
Answers: 0

How to multiply extruded feature?

Unread post by steambc »

Hello,

Newbie here. I am making a wheel cap that will snap into a Toyota wheel hub.

As you can see in the image, I have extruded a clip and mirrored it across the "right plane".

I actually need 4 of these clips evenly spaced around the cap. How does one go about doing this? Is there a way to multiply and evenly place the clip?

Thanks for any help, and please excuse my lack of knowledge of proper terminology.

image.png
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: How to multiply extruded feature?

Unread post by jcapriotti »

steambc wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:51 am
I actually need 4 of these clips evenly spaced around the cap. How does one go about doing this? Is there a way to multiply and evenly place the clip?

image.png
Get rid of the mirror feature and do a circular pattern feature with a quantity of 4 set to equally spaced.

I recommend going through the built in SolidWorks tutorials....the very first part "Introduction to SolidWorks" covers this function.
image.png
Jason
steambc
Answers: 0

Unread post by steambc »

Thanks so much. I tried a circular patter before but was unsuccessful, but I'm sure by viewing the tutorial I'll get it. I appreciate it.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

steambc wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:14 am Thanks so much. I tried a circular patter before but was unsuccessful, but I'm sure by viewing the tutorial I'll get it. I appreciate it.
When using a feature pattern (or mirror), it's important to look closely at what you're patterning. For instance, if your clip is a separate body then you will get best results when patterning it if you de-select the default "Features and Faces to Pattern", select "Bodies to Pattern" instead, and then choose the clip from the graphics area.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"