Why doesn't my Assembly feature show up in the Part file?

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Why doesn't my Assembly feature show up in the Part file?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

You need to select this option in the feature's property manager.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Why doesn't my Assembly feature show up in the Part file?

Unread post by bnemec »

Certainly a handy feature in some environments. Disastrous in others. I wish I could lock that option out, force not checked.

<()>
Please don't try this in PDM or when the part has many other where used.
Glenn Schroeder

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:29 pm Certainly a handy feature in some environments. Disastrous in others. I wish I could lock that option out, force not checked.

<()>
Please don't try this in PDM or when the part has many other where used.
I agree that it can be dangerous. I use it sparingly, but when I do it's always on project specific Parts.

By the way, I posted this because it comes up occasionally, and it just came up at the forum that shall not be named earlier today, so next time it does I can link to this.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:28 pm I agree that it can be dangerous. I use it sparingly, but when I do it's always on project specific Parts.

By the way, I posted this because it comes up occasionally, and it just came up at the forum that shall not be named earlier today, so next time it does I can link to this.
I use it very sparingly too. And when I do it is to translate the feature to the part. Then I go into the part and remove the dependencies and make everything fully defined. After doing that to the affected parts I remove that feature from the assembly.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:06 pm I use it very sparingly too. And when I do it is to translate the feature to the part. Then I go into the part and remove the dependencies and make everything fully defined. After doing that to the affected parts I remove that feature from the assembly.
Yes! exactly. There are several methods to sprinkle tiny flecks of top-down tools into a strictly bottom-up workflow. I wish they were showed off as much as the rest.
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:28 pm I agree that it can be dangerous. I use it sparingly, but when I do it's always on project specific Parts.

Yep, I'm glad you posted it, I shouldn't be such an antagonist. It's good to know more about the tool. I just wish all our users could understand enough about the various tools to know when, how, why or why not to use them. I'll use things like this from time to time too, but the key is only for development and then go back and clean up. But in marketing and blogs and most of the trainings the topic is covered at face value, but the pitfalls are not explored. I get that most of those pitfalls are so context dependent that there's no way to cover them all. But maybe a disclaimer that touches on a couple, so the unsuspecting user has some awareness of how this one process might interact with others.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

bnemec wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:51 am
Yep, I'm glad you posted it, I shouldn't be such an antagonist. It's good to know more about the tool. I just wish all our users could understand enough about the various tools to know when, how, why or why not to use them. I'll use things like this from time to time too, but the key is only for development and then go back and clean up. But in marketing and blogs and most of the trainings the topic is covered at face value, but the pitfalls are not explored. I get that most of those pitfalls are so context dependent that there's no way to cover them all. But maybe a disclaimer that touches on a couple, so the unsuspecting user has some awareness of how this one process might interact with others.
We allow top down type features like this in the "Concept" workflow. The engineers don't have write access to the production data so they wouldn't be able to save this type of feature trying to push the data down into those parts. A "Document control" group would move this concept to the production workflow and remove these top down features as per our standard.

We only allow top down features in production in few cases....such as wiring/cabling. Those parts are usually virtual anyway.
Jason
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:02 am A "Document control" group would move this concept to the production workflow and remove these top down features as per our standard.
This sounds like a really nice thing in your document workflow. I wish literally anyone else cared about modeling, external references and or even hiding their sketches before trying to release stuff...
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:08 am This sounds like a really nice thing in your document workflow. I wish literally anyone else cared about modeling, external references and or even hiding their sketches before trying to release stuff...
Company size determines this I think for most companies. We have 100 engineers and 25 Drafter/Designers. The engineers do concepts.....the drafter/designers do the rest and there are "checkers" in the workflow to ensure this stuff is handled per standard. Stuff still slips through but it's mostly clean.
Jason
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Is that similar to doing an edit part in the assembly and linking sketch geometry to the other parts? Can't say I ever used that check box, but I very rarely use assembly features, like jcapriotti said above, it's great for concept work, but if you have to actually do detail drawings or have PDM it can cause issues.