Need some advice on subscription

Tera
Answers: 2

Need some advice on subscription

Unread post by Tera »

Our admin is hospitalized for covid and won't be back for a while. I've been told that we won't renew our subscription and have been asked to take care of the situation until she's back.

I can contact our var, but I simply thought I can find the answer to my questions on customer portal.
MySolidworks, MyReseller page says we are under the cover of CANON IT SOLUTIONS INC.

I can login to customer portal and the download page.
In download page, I can download Solidworks from 2014 and all SPs.
I just downloaded SW 2023 SP0.1 (Which I won't install for now) and Solidworks Media 1 , 2 & 3.

Now my questions:
1- Is there anywhere (on-line) I can check when exactly our subscription will end?
2- If our subscription ends let's say 04/2023, are we entitled to download 2023 SP5?

Thanks.
blaird
Answers: 0

Re: Need some advice on subscription

Unread post by blaird »

For for first question, you should be able to see expiry through the admin portal. This is the link I use to get to it:
https://customerportal.solidworks.com/s ... portal/enu
On the Products tab it should list each of your serial numbers and their expiry date.

For your second question, it is my understanding that you can download up to SP5 of the latest version of Solidworks available when your subscription ends, so if you already have 2023 SP0.1 then you can get SP5 even if your license expires tomorrow.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

From my experience, when your subscription ends that is when your entitlement to new SP's ends. So if Solidworks 2023 SP1 was the latest version when your subscription ended that is the newest version you are entitled to. You won't be allowed later SP's.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

RichGergely wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33 pm From my experience, when your subscription ends that is when your entitlement to new SP's ends. So if Solidworks 2023 SP1 was the latest version when your subscription ended that is the newest version you are entitled to. You won't be allowed later SP's.
Rich..

Yup.. I can irrefutably confirm this as this has been exactly my experience too.
My reseller informed me they were "not allowed" to provide me anything, SP or otherwise, without an active subscription.
rothers

Unread post by rothers »

RichGergely wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33 pm From my experience, when your subscription ends that is when your entitlement to new SP's ends. So if Solidworks 2023 SP1 was the latest version when your subscription ended that is the newest version you are entitled to. You won't be allowed later SP's.
Having been off subscription for 4 years now I can also confirm this to be the case. Grab everything you can whist on subscription because once subscription expires you'll loose the ability to download anything.

You can easily check subscription expiry date by running Solidworks and then help/show licenses.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

Thanks to all.
It seems that our subscription will be expired on 2022/12/31.
Though 2023 sp0.1 is available for us, we don't upgrade to a 0.1 version. God knows how many bugs there are.
For now, I downloaded all SPs of 2022. I don't think downloading previous version has anything for us. Because we have a lot of files in 2022 version and we can not go back to previous versions.

Thanks again for all inputs.
RichGergely

I'm entitled to Solidworks 2022 sp1 or maybe even sp2. Either way I've stuck with 2021 sp5.1, it isn't worth the hassle loading it on nor the hassle of the bugs that will be in sp1/2.
Damo

Unread post by Damo »

RichGergely wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:49 pm I'm entitled to Solidworks 2022 sp1 or maybe even sp2. Either way I've stuck with 2021 sp5.1, it isn't worth the hassle loading it on nor the hassle of the bugs that will be in sp1/2.
Rich, TBH, I cannot judge how your experience with 2021 has been. But mine was awful. I cannot explain it at all.
I had nothoing but hassles and the software would just hang for hours. Soooo many forced closures and outright crashes, it was terrible..
I too had 2021 SP5.1. And I have heard others say it was great. (I'll never understand how that can be...)

2022 (SP0) has been such a welcome relief and has gone a very long way towards restoring my faith in it all.
Tho, I do wish I did not have this issue.. https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2314
RichGergely

Damo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:01 pm Rich, TBH, I cannot judge how your experience with 2021 has been. But mine was awful. I cannot explain it at all.
I had nothoing but hassles and the software would just hang for hours. Soooo many forced closures and outright crashes, it was terrible..
I too had 2021 SP5.1. And I have heard others say it was great. (I'll never understand how that can be...)

2022 (SP0) has been such a welcome relief and has gone a very long way towards restoring my faith in it all.
Tho, I do wish I did not have this issue.. https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2314
Don't get me wrong, 2021 sp5.1 is loaded with bugs but on flip side I have been keeping a eye on what bugs have been on 2022 and drawn the conclusion the only version of that I would load on is SP5.

How I see it -
1) If you are have real problems with sp5 on a years version maybe it is worth trying SP1 on the next version.
2) If generally you aren't having major issues with SP5 on the version you are on, don't go near the next version until SP5.

I used to think SP3, but thinking on it logically, all that costs is more time and money - installing more SP's and more chance of bugs. At the end of the day you are there as a business to make money not a service to iron out bugs in the software you use. There really shouldn't be a poor SP1 with the amount of subs Solidworks rakes in, I'm sure as hell not going to be propping up lack of investment in ensuring SP1 is in a useable state virtually bug free.