How to change size of virtual sharps

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Dwight
Answers: 2

How to change size of virtual sharps

Unread post by Dwight »

All

Any way to increase the size of a virtual sharp? I see no controls in the settings.

Thanks

Dwight
by SamSpade » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:56 pm
There is a way of making them longer by increasing the extension lines (beyond the dimension) setting, but that would affect all other dimensions attached to that style.
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: How to change size of virtual sharps

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Howdy Dwight,

You can choose between several types of virtual sharp marks, as I'm sure you know, but I'm pretty sure you can't change their size.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Thanks, Glen. I thought just maybe it was tied to some other setting, though I've not seen a hint of that. I will continue to sketch them when I need something bigger.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Dwight wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:09 am . . . I will continue to sketch them when I need something bigger.
I assume the "Witness" option isn't suitable? Or maybe you just don't want them all that style?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

I do use the witness option. It usually provides a couple microscopic lines, as shown in the image.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 112125.png
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

I add a sketch to get something like this:
image.png
SamSpade

Unread post by SamSpade »

There is a way of making them longer by increasing the extension lines (beyond the dimension) setting, but that would affect all other dimensions attached to that style.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

SamSpade wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:56 pm There is a way of making them longer by increasing the extension lines (beyond the dimension) setting, but that would affect all other dimensions attached to that style.
Thanks, SamSpade. That's interesting, so I am glad you answered, but what a bad choice of linked controls by Solidworks.

Dwight
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

I voted for SPR# 655170 and commented:

I want to show long extension lines for virtual sharps, long enough to see easily, but at the same time not have other extension lines in a drawing extend a ridiculous amount past their dimension lines. In SW2022, the same setting is used for both, so you can't have one without the other. This does not work. Virtual sharp extension lines should have their own default length setting and should also have property controls that allow you to change the length of an individual extension line (or a pair of extension lines at the very least).