Grouping a note with a balloon

Tera
Answers: 2

Grouping a note with a balloon

Unread post by Tera »

I'm sure I was able to select a note and a balloon, right click the selection and group them together.
The note was moved with the balloon by dragging it around.

Seems that I can not do it anymore. Maybe a change in some versions or updates.
Has Solidworks abandoned this functionality too? Or is it a problem on my side?

As far as I remember, on multi select of a note and a balloon, I had a Group item under Align. But it doesn't show anymore.
-
2023-02-07_19-00-58.png
-
Thanks for any piece of advice.
by josh » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:29 am
Your note doesn't belong to the same view as the balloon. Grab the view and move it. See, the balloon moves, but the note doesn't. You need to attach the note to the view, then you can group them.
image.png
Go to full post
Frank_Oostendorp

Re: Grouping a note with a balloon

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

SW2019 shows this. What version do you use?
image.png
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:20 am SW2019 shows this. What version do you use?

image.png
Both 2022 SP5 & 2023 SP0.1 doesn't show it for me.
It's all I have in Align context menu.
-
13.png
-
I think installing 2023 SP0.1 has ruined my system.
maybe I have to uninstall it.
acmall
Answers: 0

Unread post by acmall »

I have a separate menu item for Group in SW2022 SP5.
SW2022 Grouping.png
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

acmall wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:50 am I have a separate menu item for Group in SW2022 SP5.
Yes, it's what I had too. The last time I used it was in 2022 SP3 (I think).
But it's gone now.
josh
Answers: 12

Unread post by josh »

Your note doesn't belong to the same view as the balloon. Grab the view and move it. See, the balloon moves, but the note doesn't. You need to attach the note to the view, then you can group them.
image.png
AlexB
Answers: 25

Unread post by AlexB »

Are the balloon and note part of the same drawing view? It won't give the option to group unless the grouping items are attached to the same view.

Edit: Josh beat me to it
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

@josh and @AlexB are probably right, and you're trying to group two annotations that don't belong to the same drawing view, but if that's not it, have you tried clicking on "Customize menu" at the bottom of the right-click drop-down list to see if it shows up there?

Another option would be to turn on your Align toolbar. It's there also.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Tera

Unread post by Tera »

Million thanks. Seems that I'd forgotten the step mentioned above (attaching the note to view)

Thanks.
josh
Answers: 12

Unread post by josh »

Tera wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:50 pm Million thanks. Seems that I'd forgotten the step mentioned above (attaching the note to view)

Thanks.
If you can remember this issue ahead of time before you create the note, you can create it within the boundary of the view and it will already be attached to the view. But then you have to move it out to where the balloon is. So sort of a six-of-one type situation.

Attaching annotations to views after the fact is a more recent addition than the group function. It used to be that you had to either delete the note and recreate it on the view, or you could turn on the note leader, attach the leader to some view geometry, and then turn the leader back off. Either one was pretty annoying.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

josh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:50 am If you can remember this issue ahead of time before you create the note, you can create it within the boundary of the view and it will already be attached to the view. . .
. . . or double-click on the view to lock focus on it. That way any notes created anywhere on the sheet belong to that view until you double-click on it again to clear it (or switch to another sheet and switch back; that will also take it off focus).
josh wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:50 am . . . It used to be that you had to either delete the note and recreate it on the view, or you could turn on the note leader, attach the leader to some view geometry, and then turn the leader back off. .
. . . or just cut and paste the note.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"