Rename "Replaced" Insert Part Feature

zwei
Answers: 18

Rename "Replaced" Insert Part Feature

Unread post by zwei »

Background:
I have a derived part that use a Master Part 1882594. The master part is pulled via Insert Part function.
After that, I replace the inserted Master Part 1882594 with a NEW Master Part 1885397.
The Master Part is replaced without issue and the reference updated correctly.
However, the Insert Part feature name as well as all the Inserted Sketch, Planes' name still remain as 1882594, even though the reference is already updated to the new file 1885397
image.png

I understand that this is most probably "Part of SOLIDWORKS functionality" as the software allow user to control the FeatureName, hence it does not and will not rename the Insert Part feature name automatically (I recall reading it somewhere in the past, but could not identify the exact source/reference at the moment)

However, i am wondering is there any way to rename the FeatureName and all the inserted features (sketches, planes, etc) quickly?
For eg: Find and Replace all FeatureName with "1882594" text to "1885397"
image.png
The only way i can think of at the moment is via some sort of custom macro... but I thought i should ask around before diving into creating a custom macro
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Rename "Replaced" Insert Part Feature

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I'm interested in solutions that will be provided. I'll have to dig up a bit when I get some free time but I believe I had figured out a way to have them update themselves. The solution wasn't quite convenient though from memory.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

How are you performing the replace? If you do it via the 'References' button in the open dialog, all the features are renamed correctly:
image.png
image.png
image.png
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

JSculley wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:08 am How are you performing the replace? If you do it via the 'References' button in the open dialog, all the features are renamed correctly:
I did the exact same way (via Reference during Open)

I did a few more testing today...
For some reason some files update the feature name automatically, some files does not...
Some files does not update the feature name on first open... but after closing it and reopening, the feature name got updated

I still cant really figure out the pattern behind them grumph
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.