Radius dimension leader location

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Radius dimension leader location

Unread post by SPerman »

How do I get this radius dimension where it isn't off the page or on top of the part?

SW gives me two options. Text on the left, on the border;
image.png
And text on the right, on top of the part.
image.png
Is it possible to have the arrow located in the position of the first screenshot (so it is pointing at the fillet in question) but have the text on the opposite side of the leader? I've tried double-clicking the arrows on the leader, but it doesn't do anything. I also haven't had any luck with the options available on the leader tab.

This is the best I can come up with.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Radius dimension leader location

Unread post by jcapriotti »

You could right click the line and add jog points.
image.png
Jason
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

Jogging is an option. But why not just drag the dimension arrowhead to the radius on the right side of the part where it looks like you have more space?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

1. Because I shouldn't have to.
2. I've got too much information on this page of the print already, and there isn't as much free space as it appears.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I've always struggled with getting radius dimensions to work the way I want. I often resort to placing a Note, linking it to the dimension, and then hiding the dimension.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

SPerman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:55 am
1. Because I shouldn't have to.
This is a bit like a former co-worker who would say things like 'SOLIDWORKS should just know what I'm trying to do'. Every operation will have corner cases that don't behave. This one is a combination of the small (relatively) radius and the width of the text causing problems with the algorithm for the leader. Even if you replace the dimension with a linked note (where you can specify the leader side) it will have problems. Trying to fold up a dimension (or note) to fit in a small space is always going to cause problems.
2. I've got too much information on this page of the print already, and there isn't as much free space as it appears.
Hard to tell without the lower left corner showing, but I would just slide that view to the left to make room for the radius dims on the right and move the diameter dimensions to the bottom (so they aren't crossing the extension lines of the 2.00 dimension) and call it a day. Depending on what's happening on the right side, you could add a <MOD-CL> symbol and a "Part is symmetric about centerline shown unless otherwise specified" note to eliminate the 4 ordinate dimensions to free up additional room for the radius dims.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

You can try the "Arc extension line or opposite side" check box. it allows you to have the extension arc to he top side to move the text closer in
image.png