Solidworks Family tables and CAD driven BOMs

paul.sweet
Answers: 0

Solidworks Family tables and CAD driven BOMs

Unread post by paul.sweet »

I have some questions around Solidworks and CAD driven BOMs. First I'm assuming with Solidworks and the PDM system you're able to create a CAD driven BOM, Is this a correct assumption? I'm currently using CREO with Windchill, so forgive my ignorance on Solidworks functionality.

Does Solidworks have the concept of family tables? Bolts for example you can add dimensions to the family table and vary the length, diameter, hex size.

If CAD driven BOM capability is there, and family tables functionality is available is there any issues creating CAD driven BOMs and management of the BOMs in the PDM system?
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Solidworks Family tables and CAD driven BOMs

Unread post by matt »

Solidworks uses configurations, which covers FOA, FOP and configurations in Solid Edge. SW configurations are powerful and complex, but they sometimes also get people into trouble. SW configurations also can keep all the sizes within a single file rather than driving a set of files. Not as stable as SE functions, but more powerful.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

CAD driven BOM? I've never heard of this...?

Family tables ae available and pretty powerful, we use them to generate parts that are standard with varying sizes, to sort bolts by diameter with configurations for different lengths, etc..
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

paul.sweet wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:35 am I have some questions around Solidworks and CAD driven BOMs. First I'm assuming with Solidworks and the PDM system you're able to create a CAD driven BOM, Is this a correct assumption? I'm currently using CREO with Windchill, so forgive my ignorance on Solidworks functionality.

Does Solidworks have the concept of family tables? Bolts for example you can add dimensions to the family table and vary the length, diameter, hex size.

If CAD driven BOM capability is there, and family tables functionality is available is there any issues creating CAD driven BOMs and management of the BOMs in the PDM system?
PDM doesn't really handle "BOMs" like you are expecting with Windchill. There is a CAD BOM structure but there isn't a separate "CAD BOM" and "Part BOM" like Windchill does with WTParts. You would need to upgrade to the SolidWorks Manage product that sits on top of PDM to get something like that.

If your product is all inside the CAD model and you don't have a need to deviate, the CAD BOM in PDM may be sufficient. If you need to "add" to it or reorganize it like Windchill, it's limited.
Jason
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:25 pm CAD driven BOM? I've never heard of this...?

Family tables ae available and pretty powerful, we use them to generate parts that are standard with varying sizes, to sort bolts by diameter with configurations for different lengths, etc..
The BOM in Solidworks is definitely CAD driven.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:49 pm The BOM in Solidworks is definitely CAD driven.
Yeah I guess, I figured it meant an external file was driving the BOM since SolidWorks's BOM is CAD driven mostly.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

NX part families are more lightweight (I assume SE is similar.) You are only loading a single instance, vs a table with hundreds or thousands of variants. On the other hand, in solidworks, changing to a different member of the family is a single drop down. In NX you had to do "replace part"; at least that is how I was taught 10+ years ago. There are pro's and con's to each. They both get the job done.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams