How is a linetype scale adjusted?

Mike Gera
Answers: 0

How is a linetype scale adjusted?

Unread post by Mike Gera »

In AutoCAD, I can adjust linetype scales. For example, a "hidden" line (a dashed line) with a scale factor of 1.0 may have 4 "dashes" per inch. A scale factor of 0.5 would change that to 8 dashes per inch.

How is this done in a SolidWorks .SLRRDW?

Thanks.
by AlexB » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:02 pm
It's in the Options menu on the Document Properties tab. I'm not sure what the standard units are but I would guess mm.
image.png
Edit: I measured the dimensions of the dashes on a drawing and have no idea how the values correlate to units
Go to full post
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
AlexB
Answers: 25

Re: How is a linetype scale adjusted?

Unread post by AlexB »

It's in the Options menu on the Document Properties tab. I'm not sure what the standard units are but I would guess mm.
image.png
Edit: I measured the dimensions of the dashes on a drawing and have no idea how the values correlate to units
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Mike Gera wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:35 pm In AutoCAD, I can adjust linetype scales. For example, a "hidden" line (a dashed line) with a scale factor of 1.0 may have 4 "dashes" per inch. A scale factor of 0.5 would change that to 8 dashes per inch.

How is this done in a SolidWorks .SLRRDW?

Thanks.
It depends on what type of line we're talking about. Are you talking about model generated lines? Those are document properties. They adjust according to view scale.

If you'd like to change them for a specific purpose, you can use the line format toolbar to set them manually one by one. In the following Image I put the highlighted line in dashed manually. You could have the line be thicker too
image.png
What are you trying to do exactly..?
Mike Gera

AlexB wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:02 pm It's in the Options menu on the Document Properties tab. I'm not sure what the standard units are but I would guess mm.

image.png

That is exactly what I need. Thanks!
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
Mike Gera

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:07 pm It depends on what type of line we're talking about. Are you talking about model generated lines? Those are document properties. They adjust according to view scale.

If you'd like to change them for a specific purpose, you can use the line format toolbar to set them manually one by one. In the following Image I put the highlighted line in dashed manually. You could have the line be thicker too

image.png

What are you trying to do exactly..?
Thanks for the reply, which was also helpful for learning about SW linetypes in general.
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

the line scale in Solidworks is automatically adjusted with the scale of the views, so you should never have to adjust them like you do in Autocad. They are usually set by the standard you pick (ANSI/ISO), but you can modify them in document properties. I have never modified them in Solidworks like I have to do in Autocad all the time when I work on large or super small items.
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

TTevolve wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:42 am the line scale in Solidworks is automatically adjusted with the scale of the views, so you should never have to adjust them like you do in Autocad. They are usually set by the standard you pick (ANSI/ISO), but you can modify them in document properties. I have never modified them in Solidworks like I have to do in Autocad all the time when I work on large or super small items.
In AutoCAD, there is a setting that no matter what your viewport scale is set at, the line type scale will always adjust accordingly, similar to SW. Just ensure the system variable 'PSLTSCALE' is set to '1'.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
Mike Gera

SamSpade wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:02 am In AutoCAD, there is a setting that no matter what your viewport scale is set at, the line type scale will always adjust accordingly, similar to SW. Just ensure the system variable 'PSLTSCALE' is set to '1'.
Good info, thanks.
SW 2022 SP 5.0
Windows 11