Importing IFC Files from Tekla

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
DeanD
Answers: 0

Importing IFC Files from Tekla

Unread post by DeanD »

Large project on the horizon. Files will be exported from Tekla to an IFC format for importing into SolidWorks. Initial import tests have generated graphics only files and are of no use.
Looking for advice on how to leverage the IFC file type and generate useful and usable part and assembly files as needed.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Importing IFC Files from Tekla

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello Dean,

I have not worked with IFC on a project but have for personal use and imho, it's a hairball and how it creates sub assy's is insane. but..
2022 has better management of the data for filtering/sharing.
Hopefully someone can chime in ... otherwise, I'd scan the web... there are some resources which are getting better with other methods or scripts/filters? Good luck!

(2022):
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DeanD

Unread post by DeanD »

Appreciate the comments, and certainly agree with the "hairball" analogy. Working in '22 now and I can't say I am impressed at all with how SolidWorks attempts to handle IFC files. Quite disappointed really.
I had combed the internet and consulted my local VAR, with no success or solutions from either, of how to manipulate this file type in SolidWorks before posing the query here.
Still have the wild hope there may be a more immediate solution available rather than waiting for software enhancements a few releases away.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I would place the blame on Tekla, not DSS. It appears they don't export their data in a format that is usable by any other software.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DeanD

Unread post by DeanD »

Not being able to work with imported IFC files significantly impacts a mid-nine figure $$ multi-year project in quite a negative manner.
Greatly appreciate the comments and insight and taking time out of your day to respond.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

JuTu
Answers: 1

Unread post by JuTu »

First thing I had on my mind is how the exporting software handles the data to be exported.

I'm not familiar with Tekla or so much so with IFC, but by default SolidWorks tries to solidify all the geometry it is capable. SW prefers solids.

To check how any geometry has been imported, you could also try some viewer software. But I understand that this may not be an option in every case.

For STEP format there is NIST Step File Analyzer - https://www.nist.gov/services-resources ... and-viewer

For IFC format there is ODA Open IFC Viewer - https://openifcviewer.com/

These are (to me) not-so-suspicious-looking free viewers I have used, but there is others. IMO, it is not a bad habit to check your own exports whether they have been exported succesfully.
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 12

Unread post by josh »

DeanD wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:08 am Not being able to work with imported IFC files significantly impacts a mid-nine figure $$ multi-year project in quite a negative manner.
Greatly appreciate the comments and insight and taking time out of your day to respond.
As has been sort of mentioned before... It depends a lot on how the IFC files are made. If the IFC files are garbage to start with, it's not really your/SW fault if you can't work with them. SW can export IFC files as well. Sounds like some investigation is in order. There are a lot of setting options on import and export in SW. I've exported some SW files to IFC in the past and then re-imported them, and they came in just fine. It may be that some export settings in Tekla can be changed to produce better IFC files. However, if Tekla or any other software purposely exports basically useless IFC files, there's not much anyone can do about it on the receiving end.