How to Delete Rounds in Solidworks? Cannot get FilletXpert to select the round.

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

How to Delete Rounds in Solidworks? Cannot get FilletXpert to select the round.

Unread post by bnemec »

In Solid Edge there is a direct editing feature called "Delete Rounds" and it works very well IMO. I used it a lot to prep vendor or customer models for other direct edits where all the round faces made a mess. After the direct edits I would just put the rounds back in so they flow the right direction.

I searched "Solidworks delete rounds" and found this help page:
https://help.solidworks.com/2019/englis ... Redirect=1
But it doesn't even let me select the round faces of imported solid. Note these are not crazy surface bodies, I'm working on a clean, water tight parasolid body. Since I'm doing a revision to a part that had already gone through this process in Solid Edge I imported the solid body into SW. It's a good, water tight import, just need to edit it and starting from scratch is much worse option. Instead of just doing the direct edits in Edge and reimport to SW I thought I should try to learn how to do it in SW. After trying for a while I'm left with deleting the faces of the round and then stitching extended faces >>> . I go to the SE model (which started as in import from customer Designer) and the rounds simply delete.

If anyone knows how to do this in SW I would be glad to hear about it.

Attachments are gifs of what I'm trying. On in SW the other in Edge.
Attachments
Solidworks FilletXpert?
Solidworks FilletXpert?
Solid Edge Delete Rounds
Solid Edge Delete Rounds
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: How to Delete Rounds in Solidworks? Cannot get FilletXpert to select the round.

Unread post by SPerman »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:41 pm After trying for a while I'm left with deleting the faces of the round and then stitching extended faces >>> . I go to the SE model (which started as in import from customer Designer) and the rounds simply delete.
I typically use Delete Face for doing this. As long as the "Delete and Patch" option is selected, you shouldn't have to stitch anything. Sometimes the geometry is too complex, but 90% percent of the time this works fine for me.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Re: How to Delete Rounds in Solidworks? Cannot get FilletXpert to select the round.

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:07 pm I typically use Delete Face for doing this. As long as the "Delete and Patch" option is selected, you shouldn't have to stitch anything. Sometimes the geometry is too complex, but 90% percent of the time this works fine for me.
Oh, I should have mentioned SW cannot patch it. If the two rounds didn't converge there near the top I think delete face and patch would work. I've tried selecting about every set of rounds I can think of. It just cannot extend that flat side face up to the top like SE does when using delete face with heal/patch. Just a hunch, but I think SE's Delete Rounds is just Delete Face with a selection filter applied. But there could be more going on in the back ground as it feels more robust than delete face and heal.
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Is there an intersect faces command in SW?
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

For this case I just deleted everything then kinda reverse engineered that little dimple that I needed to keep. Cut it in with a couple of drafted cut extrudes and applied rounds.

I'd still like to see better ways of deleting rounds with heal/patch in SW as often times I'm working with shapes that are not easy to model back in with normal parametric features. In those cases I rely on boolean ops on multi-body.
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

Delete/Fill can work well you delete in order to preserve faces but if the blend consumes the face, you're scrwd in any tool.
Attachments
2023-06-27 13 17 30.gif
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

This is slick and worked for geometry like yours.

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

zxys001 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:23 pm Delete/Fill can work well you delete in order to preserve faces but if the blend consumes the face, you're scrwd in any tool.
For some reason SW cannot patch when I delete that top radius like you showed. Possibly due to 10deg draft on the sides, maybe because the rounds were not created in SW. I don't know. The delete & fill produces some rounded surface.
zxys001
Answers: 5

Unread post by zxys001 »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:29 pm For some reason SW cannot patch when I delete that top radius like you showed. Possibly due to 10deg draft on the sides, maybe because the rounds were not created in SW. I don't know. The delete & fill produces some rounded surface.
Without seeing the data, I we don't know either... post a Parasolid x_t?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

JSculley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:25 pm This is slick and worked for geometry like yours.

I like that trick they show, I keep forgetting it's available. We learned quick to keep feature works turned off as it doesn't do well with any of our SE2019 models. Nevertheless I turned it back on to try this both ways. It doesn't go like the demo. I need to keep it in mind when models come in from vendors.

image.png
Attachments
SW_NoFeatureRec.gif
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

bnemec wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:48 pm I like that trick they show, I keep forgetting it's available. We learned quick to keep feature works turned off as it doesn't do well with any of our SE2019 models. Nevertheless I turned it back on to try this both ways. It doesn't go like the demo. I need to keep it in mind when models come in from vendors.

image.png
Can you upload the model as a STEP file or cut away the material outside the area of interest, save it out as a STEP file and upload it?
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

zxys001 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:39 pm Without seeing the data, I we don't know either... post a Parasolid x_t?
I would if I could. The screen shots are probably pushing the limits. In this case the base shape to create the dimple is a set of stacked boxes with drafts and fillets so not bad to recreate. Sometimes that's not an option so other tools are needed. I wasn't looking so much for a solution specific to this one isolated case, rather looking to learn the various tools to try in the new system. Which is what is happening here, so very cool and thanks to all. UU
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Don't try to delete everything in one command.
You'll need to test and try different sequence.
After a while you'll learn which one the delete first.
bradb
Answers: 0

Unread post by bradb »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:56 pm Don't try to delete everything in one command.
This
I end up having to do it this way alot with imported geometry usually to be able to add draft to a feature. As stated earlier, if the face consumes the radius it probably won't work. I have gone so far as to cut away the area and recreate it. Even that doesn't always work on swoopy parts.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:56 pm Don't try to delete everything in one command.
bradb wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:02 am This
I end up having to do it this way alot with imported geometry usually to be able to add draft to a feature. As stated earlier, if the face consumes the radius it probably won't work. I have gone so far as to cut away the area and recreate it. Even that doesn't always work on swoopy parts.
Yes, this applies to any parametric software. As stated earlier, I've tried about every order of delete faces in SW. In Solid Edge the Delete Rounds just works in almost any order. I was checking to see if there's some tool/method in SW that I'm missing. Also as seen in the gifs the face is not consumed by the rounds, I don't know how that got started. The face is there and SE has no problem extending it when the rounds are deleted.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I think the problem is the two fillets overlapping. That seems to be the geometry that SW can't figure out how to patch.
image.png
image.png (23.68 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:58 am I think the problem is the two fillets overlapping. That seems to be the geometry that SW can't figure out how to patch.

image.png
Yep, exactly. Nothing to patch, the face is there, just need to extend it.
image.png
image.png
Frederick_Law

Try Direct Edit, reduce radius size.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:54 am Try Direct Edit, reduce radius size.
Is that in the FilletXpert? I cannot figure out how to select anything, just says "Please select only face belonging to a fillet or a face with filleted edge(s)."

Maybe because we're still on 2019...

Attached a step and xt of a section of the part.
Attachments
deleteRounds.stp
(82.02 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
deleteRounds.x_t
(111.8 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Frederick_Law

Use Inventor:
DeleteFillets-01.jpg
Frederick_Law

Delete fillets at the bottom first.
Then the 3 problem fillets.
DeleteFillets-02.jpg
Frederick_Law

Solidworks direct edit:
https://help.solidworks.com/2023/englis ... _Faces.htm

Delete Face, Move Face.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:11 pm Solidworks direct edit:
https://help.solidworks.com/2023/englis ... _Faces.htm

Delete Face, Move Face.
Tried that first, will not patch.

edit: Unless you're saying there's a handy extend and knit faces feature that I'm not finding?
Like this one:
viewtopic.php?p=29461#p29461
Frederick_Law

You got me to use SW.
You'll pay for this :evil:
DeleteFillets-03.jpg
I'll be off work till Tue.
Not telling you how it's dome until then :twisted:

28 faces
28! combinations
Keep trying **
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:31 pm You got me to use SW.
You'll pay for this :evil:
DeleteFillets-03.jpg

I'll be off work till Tue.Wed.
Not telling you how it's dome until then :twisted:

28 faces
28! combinations
Keep trying **
LOL. YOU WIN! :lol:
Frederick_Law

And it's not the same as IV.
I tried that first.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I'm having a blast at just deleting faces too, see what happens.

And... I got it to work like Frederick in the end. Initially I didn't think it would work.

Here is the thing though, you need to watch what you are doing. You don't really want to be spending ages trying to delete patch in various combinations and then release it just will never work. You may well of saved a lot of time just trimming/extending instead.
Frederick_Law

RichGergely wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:37 pm I'm having a blast at just deleting faces too, see what happens.
It's ok, as long as you don't lose any.
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:48 pm It's ok, as long as you don't lose any.
I just saw yours and and thought how did I miss that!! So I redid it. Second effort of delete patch after seeing that you managed it worked.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:48 pm It's ok, as long as you don't lose any.
Well poop
image.png
Getting closer though. "It can be done" is good motivation.
bradb

Unread post by bradb »

Here's how I did it. All about order of operation. Only 15 tries.
step1.JPG
step2.JPG
step3.JPG
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Maybe i am the odd one here...

For cases like this, where i know what surface i am keeping and the geometry is relatively simple, i just tend to cut away the portion and use multiple replace face

Copy surface
image.png
Cut and cut
image.png
Replace X4
image.png
Personally i try to avoid delete face if possible and feel that delete face take much longer to execute (trial and error, lots of fillets to select, long computation time, etc)
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.