Importing Shortcuts

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Importing Shortcuts

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey,

We'll be moving from 2019 to 2023 soon and I was wondering if there was any way to import keyboard shortcuts? The reason I ask is that we recreate our settings for every new version and each people have their own personnalized shortcuts. I know I can save the shortcuts to a text file, but how can I import them back? I'm sure there's a simple way.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Re: Importing Shortcuts

Unread post by AlexB »

Short of having each one of them export their current settings with the save/restore settings tool, I'm not sure of an "easy" way.
image.png
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:15 am Hey,

We'll be moving from 2019 to 2023 soon and I was wondering if there was any way to import keyboard shortcuts? The reason I ask is that we recreate our settings for every new version and each people have their own personnalized shortcuts. I know I can save the shortcuts to a text file, but how can I import them back? I'm sure there's a simple way.
I know some very knowledgeable people recommend starting everything from scratch with every new version, including user settings and document templates, but I never have. I still have stuff that's carried over from SW2009. Maybe if you use some type of PDM it's more critical?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:52 am I know some very knowledgeable people recommend starting everything from scratch with every new version, including user settings and document templates, but I never have. I still have stuff that's carried over from SW2009. Maybe if you use some type of PDM it's more critical?
I've read a lot of people running into issues when restoring settings from a different version, especially if there are a couple of versions in between the setting's version and the actual version it is being applied to, which is why I recreate them.

I also recreate every document templates because we've suffered from "File gotcha syndrome".
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Use the Export/Import tool.
If there are problem importing everything, uncheck one at a time until to find the one has problem.
If I remember correctly, Menu Customize is the problem.

Do not export setting on first open of SW. First run of SW will create all the settings which won't save to registry until SW close.
So importing old settings at that time won't do any good either.