BOM with Drawing References

m2shell
Answers: 0

BOM with Drawing References

Unread post by m2shell »

I have an assembly, with all parts detailed on separate drawing files / sheets.
Is there any way to automatically have the drawing references link to a files Bill of Materials?

So If I look at the assembly-level bill of materials, it will show me what drawing sheets/files each part is detailed in?

I was going to do it manually but I figured I'd ask first.

Thanks
JSculley
Answers: 55

Re: BOM with Drawing References

Unread post by JSculley »

Sure. Name each part file to match its part number. Name each drawing to match the part number of the part detailed in the drawing. Keep a one model/one drawing relationship. Bonus points for understanding there is no such thing as an intelligent part numbering system and simple 6 or seven digit numerical part numbers with no meaning will save you countless hours of work.
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

JSculley wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:12 pm Sure. Name each part file to match its part number. Name each drawing to match the part number of the part detailed in the drawing. Keep a one model/one drawing relationship. Bonus points for understanding there is no such thing as an intelligent part numbering system and simple 6 or seven digit numerical part numbers with no meaning will save you countless hours of work.
Yeah, well ship has sailed on all that stuff. I did just start a part numbering "scheme" though after 10 years of doing this, so i'm feeling good about that!

Thankss
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

The only 'automatic' way to do this would be a macro, macro feature or add-in that updates one or more custom properties in a part when the part is placed in a view on a drawing. These custom properties could then be used in a BOM column.
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

JSculley wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 am The only 'automatic' way to do this would be a macro, macro feature or add-in that updates one or more custom properties in a part when the part is placed in a view on a drawing. These custom properties could then be used in a BOM column.
I was thinking a Macro as well. I was thinking of how the Pack-and-Go feature can track drawing files referenced by parts and wondering if I can access that functionality with a macro. Doesn't give sheet names but hey its something.

In the meantime I'll probably manually update some custom properties. Easy enough to do it in the assembly since I already (for this job at least) have drawings tracked with an excel spreadsheet and I can reference that.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

JSculley wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 am The only 'automatic' way to do this would be a macro, macro feature or add-in that updates one or more custom properties in a part when the part is placed in a view on a drawing. These custom properties could then be used in a BOM column.
That's how we do it with CustomTools!