PDM file version upgrade tool

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
mp3-250
Answers: 18

PDM file version upgrade tool

Unread post by mp3-250 »

SW2022 SP5

Until now a massive amount of old data has piled up inside our vault so I am making the effort to upgrade at least the hardware and catalog parts.

I asked my VAR and I am quite confident they have never used the tool seriously. I tried the pdm FVUT like 3 times in our test vault and I ran immediately in a SPR: according to the log file lot of versions were not converted, if you open the file it is indeed left as old SW format but in the pdm history and pdm DB is updated to SW2022.

Imagine my shock that another basic administrative tool does not work as expected, instead creating ADDITIONAL issues to our vault.
And imagine how much I trust DS to allow them migrate my data in 3DX in a not so far future.
JSculley
Answers: 54

Re: PDM file version upgrade tool

Unread post by JSculley »

I've used the FVUT in the past and only had one serious problem due to the documentation stating that you should not allow users to log in during the process. In order to do that, I blocked logins using the admin tool and the FVUT failed in spectacular fashion.

When you say that some versions were not converted, do you mean some versions of the same file? Or some files (all versions) converted and some did not?

I always have the tool convert only the latest versions, leaving the historical versions as-is, but we don't use differing versions of the same part across different designs.
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I made some test and tried both the latest version only and all versions option.

the problem with this tool is that once a file is NOT converted (for reasons) this event is correctly logged, but the pdm DB is updated anyway with the same file flagged like it was converted correctly.

So next time you run the tool the old file is skipped as the DB sees it as up to date. workaround: overwrite all the files. (we have millions so I though about an incremental upgrade... )
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

I learned at a methodology and performance training that FVUT does not work when using the freeze bar in the feature manager.
However, I have not verified this statement yet
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
Brian-M
Answers: 1

Unread post by Brian-M »

I find it safest to run FVUT mainly on sldprt. This last round, that's the only thing I did, and it's where you get most of the benefits of the tool.

...if you have subassemblies that you use in multiple places, then those would also be good candidates.
https://www.mlc-cad.com/solidworks-help ... olidworks/
Especially "Released" files.

I didn't run it on drawings at all this time.

You probably know to break it up into manageable chunks of folders.