PDM comment capture recipient name

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
PCObelcz
Answers: 0

PDM comment capture recipient name

Unread post by PCObelcz »

We are a small group and in our Workflow we have three drawing checks for our approval processes. A question came up if a search could capture who the recipient is for transitions.
We are using a pick list (not groups) to send notification (e-mail) that the files are waiting that require work (rejected), checking, approval.
image.png
I sent our VR this question and they came back with "This is currently a limitation in PDM, you cannot add the user in the comments during state change transition."
One member of our group thought that maybe a variable could capture this pick and be stored with the file. This variable would be overwritten with each transition.
Does anyone else have similar process?
Thanks
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: PDM comment capture recipient name

Unread post by bnemec »

We too would like better information about notifications sent. It may sound bad to some, but our ERP system sends emails from the users outlook client rather than coming from "system". This is very nice as you can see who all the email was to as well as reply to the email as normal. It crossed my mind to use PDM Add-in to send emails as a task action instead of using the notification system. I haven't prioritized time to investigate if that is feasible.

But yes, we do wish for something similar, and have not found a solution.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

There is suppose to be way to kind of do this with a transition notification and fields on the data card but its buggy and I could never get it work. You add variables on the data to hold the users name and send notifications to them based on the user in the field. Then in the transition "send mail" notification you can add the username it went to....at least that's the idea.

We created our own add-in that sends custom notifications based on the state it going to and pulls names out of variables on the card.
Jason
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@PCObelcz You might try this...I haven't myself since we have the add-in but it might work for you.
Jason
PCObelcz
Answers: 0

Unread post by PCObelcz »

Quick update on notifications.
We are using the Send Mail in Actions to capture the workflow Translons / States, and posting on our Google Group. File name, revision, Who summited the file ETC are captured in the Google group and file history. These notifications are for drawings only, not parts and assemblies. The tasks can be assigned and tracked by any subscriber in the group. This makes it very easy for non PDM users to track progress. Parts and assemblies that require approvals are done separately.
Attachments
Send Mail Google Group 1-09-2024.JPG